Philips GA-212 Turntable Replacement Bulb Source

By the way: "Apologies!!" to the OP! Did NOT mean to hijack the thread! This info is really helpful.......so, hope it's OK to continue. Thanks, TSD

I believe there is a bit of room under that film. If it were mine, I'd either glue on in place on the bottom side or trim it a bit to fit on the top side to give it a go. I can't recall because this unit it disassembled, but I believe the tone arm wiring runs through the center. I wouldn't mess with it.

On the cap, it's a pretty standard value at 470uf/25v but it has axial leads instead of radial which makes it less likely to find at radio shack. That said, I used a radial and carefully positioned it to make sure the exposed leads wouldn't short out and got it to fit well. I had it on hand so it was an easy choice. If I had to buy one, if get the right one. If you're inexperienced with changing caps, make sure you get the positive and negative sides oriented correctly.

Matt,

Again, thanks for all the info. I'm sure I won't have a problem with the cap. The piece of film on the other hand still has me a bit concerned. That looks to be a petty crucial piece as far as the function of that optical switch goes. But, I can give it a try......nothing to lose I suppose. I just don't want to damage anything, including the little piece of plastic. I may take a photo-copy of it prior to attempting to install it. Now, if I could just find those bulbs....... WC

I looked for the bulbs for a while before ordering them from the links I posted. Never found them in the states, only Europe. I also tried some LED bulbs that worked in the stop and 33 position, but not the others. If you go on that site, remember that all of their prices include VAT, which is a European tax. That gets deducted from orders to North America. So it's not quite as expensive as it seems at first.

Hi guys! Great thread! I had a 212 back in the day (25 years ago) and of course donated my stuff 10 or so years ago, but now getting back into it.

I recently picked up a 312 but there's a weird issue with the lights and I'm wondering if you could help. I might post this as a separate thread just in case this one is no longer active...but basically the 33 button DOES turn the platter at the correct speed but the lamp doesn't work (stop and 45 lamps do work).

So I tried switching out the "good" stop light and the "bad" 33 light, and same results. No light on the 33 but correct speed, and lamp works for the stop button.

Any ideas on what's going on? I'm very competent with lots of things but fine electronics (as opposed to house wiring, etc.) isn't something I know that much about. I figured it was just a bad lamp issue but apparently that doesn't seem to be the case. Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the thread. I've got a nice Technics table as well, but the Philips DOES bring back memories!

Larry
Powell, OH

I was having a similar problem with my 212 and then I realized that the switch had a wire on it that had popped loose. I can't say if your 312 is identical to the 212, but it would 'seem' so. On the 212 there are small 'tits' down on the underside of the switch plate. Wires from the Printed Circuit motor control board simply drop down into that cavity and push on to the back side of the switch rings. On mine, one of the wires was disconnected. It turned out that the 'tit' had actually broken off.....and for a moment I was in panic mode. However, thankfully, there was a second tit molded into the contact ring on the back side, so simply a matter of removing the broken piece and reinstalling the wire in a location 180 degrees from where it was on the ring previously. No Problem! I woujld also mention that my unit also worked on 33 with only one bulb....and I think the bulb was in the 'stop' location. However, I think the speed was off. Anyway, with new bulbs installed, everything worked properly. One last comment is that where the auto-stop function AND the 'stop' location both called for a 100ma / 6 V bulb, (according to the schematic), mine would not work that way. Only with three 50ma / 6 V bulbs in the 3 touch-key locations would the unit function properly. It DID need a 100ma / 6 V bulb in the auto-stop location, but seems that the schematic is in error for it being needed in the 'stop' location of the switches. Good luck........... WC

https://www.jukebox-revival.eu/staging/ ... 121-d.html
Dutch company servicing jukeboxes. A batch of 10 bulbs costs 50 cents, cheap shipping :)
Awesome! Just purchased 6, came out to about $1 a piece after shipping costs.

I'd purchased some LED replacements, and also encountered the polarity issues. Middle button was working, but not the 45 or 33 buttons after installing the replacements. I didn't like the brightness of the LED, however. It's really glaring, vs the gentle glow of the incandescents.

thansk!

got them. very fast and careful shipping. I´m very happy with them, but the stop (100mA) is less bright than the other two (50mA).

tried to put the 50mA on the 33 and 45 speed buttons but bright doesn´t change. it works fine, but i would like to solve this...

Back
Top Bottom