Philips Gear

heres a pic of the tape deck.im also sorry to hear about your amp hopefully its not too serious....

My receeiver is in transit. Hopefully, it will arrive b/f the weekend so I have something to play with. With customs, the border, etc. will be interesting to see how long it takes. I'll be out of town from the 15th to the 21st so don't want it delayed too long.

hi brian,hopefully it is too .ive been thinking bout the ah6731 on ebay and take the plunge and bid on it .who knows i might actually win it?then that would end my search and i could concetrate on other things.
radioactive

Just got the 796 on eBay for $9.99. Per seller the center tune meter not on center but everything else 100%. Hopefully only needs to be screw adjusted. That make my 3rd Philips Lab Series receiver. This is the 2nd generation while the other 2 are 1st generation. Hopefully not big negative diffeences in circuit design. I've been playing the 785 on my Advents for a time and sound is noce but not entralling. The H-K 630 is a better match. Replaced the Advents with my Klipsch Heresy II (4 ohm version - seems scarce). The H-K does really well with the Kipsch but the pair exhibits the problem the the Heresys are somewhat known for and that is the mid to squawker crossover and somewhat hot high end. These issues tend not to be exhibited with tubes. I was thinking of opening the speakers and resetting the squawker 3db down on the crossover. With the 785, I've found nirvana with the Heresy for a nice listening system. Problems exhibited by the H-K/Heresy system not exhibited. The sound is almost what I remember the Fisher 500-C being with them but better in the bass. Presents a smooth tube sound with not hint of shrillness or hardness on top end. Sibilence on female vocals well within the range of my main system. Massed strings aren't steely, don;t sound like separate instruments just playing together ( a BIG problem I've had with these speakers), instead are playing in concert with each other but don't blur and get lost. Triangle pretty reasonably close. I knew if I kept these speakers, eventually I'd find a set of electronics that did not require the Mc system of other separates. I actually like the sound better than when I was using the Philips separates on the speakers. Suspect the low power level distortion on the receiver may be lower b/c lower powered amp. Tuner seems to have steep quieting slope and is quieter on local stations than the H-K, actually reaching into blackness with the dipole. The receiver has a turn on thump. When I get the 796 in and see what it neds, I'll get both worked on together. Now I need to figure out where to put the Klipsch and 785 as a setup. I suspect I'll be putting the 4506 reel to reel with this system. Also, where to put the Advent/H-K. Now to look out for the xx7 or xx71 receiver which will give me all but the xx3 or xx31 bottom of the line which I won't chase considering the prices I've paid for the others.

Did you ever get the 673 tuner compared to the 185? and results? How does the integrated amp sound. I may start to search for a set next.

hi brian,congrats on the 796. the collection seems to be growing quite rapidly.im still waiting on my 7841.as far as the integrated(386) goes im very impressed with it.the tight low end coupled with a smooth midrange almost made me forget it was a solid state amp. get one if you have a chance i dont think youll be disappointed. as far as the 185/673 comparisions go from initial analysis it has better low end response than the 185 and a more laid back soundstage as opposed to the more in your face that the 185 exhibits.it also does an amazing job on vocals and accoustic guitar.the 185 doesnt have the sensistivity that the 673 has but it picks up almost all the same stations on the fm band at least when hooked up to the same antenna.i will hopefully be able to get a better idea of a/b ing them with a few other tuners over the holidays .good luck with finding the 7871 it would be on par with the power rating of my 386.
chris

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Gotta have it to add to the other sales literature but ya bid on it. What to do? Okay, solution - ship me gratus the 386/185 and I'll not bid against you. OTOH, I can't let it go. Oh, why did you tell me about it? Frustration, indecision, confusion, stress, nail biting - what to do. It would require me to finally get a late production GA212. LAst time this came up I was willing to spend more on the literature then the equipment.

ive gotta better idea send me your 572 and ill let you outbid me on the philips vinyl.sound good?
speaking of 572's the one on ebay with the hum problem has been dropped to $75 for an opening bid .if it doesnt go ill probally email him to see if i can work something out as i would like to have one .
you mentioned the ga212.is it a decent table?i was thinking of getting something from philips until i can get a tonearm and cartridge for my garrard 301.
your right literature can get pretty expensive and i try to get manuals,schematics,photofacts for all my equiptment whenever i can find it.
by the way my 7481 came in the mail the other day and landed up costing me another $41cdn because the guy declared a value of $200us.i suppose good if it got destroyed but i nearly sh-t when i heard that.oh well its my fault as i forgot to tell him to declare the value of the auction.its in excellent condition and was probally hardly used.the only problem with it was the dial lights were out when i turned it on. turns out the board that holds the lights just needed tightning.other than that its working fine.
one more thing did you get your amp checked out yet?
chris

Regarding that Philips LP, it sounds like a vintage/vinyl nutter's wet dream :tongue:

As one myself, and knowing Philips' reputation for some of the best sounding LP releases, it should be absolutely gorgeous sounding. *And* you can pant and drool over the "centrefold" pics at the same time :rolleyes:

For the Philips completist out there, I was at a house sale the other day and spotted a boxed Philips 400 phono cartridge sitting amongst the debris, with $38 writ large on it. I picked it up and before I could open my mouth the lady running the show said ooh I have no idea what that is - just take it (!)

So off I went with a bunch of great LPs and a free phono cart, which is complete with manual and mounting hardware, though obviously used. I tried it next day and it actually sounds not bad at all; I may use it in a secondary TT when I get that set up.

Cheers,

Dennis

re philips lp

since im in th process of looking for a tonearm and cartridge for my garrard 301 id just have to drool over the literature.hopefully i win the auction.for the most part i was concerned about just having it as part of my philips collection.speaking of philips 400 phono carts there was a philips 212 that just ended on ebay with one it it that had supposidly less than 1hr on it but didnt sell.im in contact with the seller and trying to work out something for the turntable.then at least i can listen to the album(if i win it) .
chris

Good luck on getting the 212, I've heard it's a great table. However, you may want to hop on over to the Audio Asylum's Vinyl board to check out cartridges that are best suited to that particular TT. With everything properly set up, LP's such as the Philips one will sound incredible.

Cheers!

I'll give u an option on a 572 if I should get 1. Will that do? Have only gotten the 5721 so far. OhOh, I see a bidding war coming up. How much do you want it??

The 212 is a very very good table. AR should have come out it as a replacement or upgrade. Variable speed, floating suspension, gimble arm with low mass and static sliding weight. Table rang but that is not without an easy mod. On a stable surface, it competed easily with most of the tables and was one of the final nails in the Empire table coffin according to Empire. Empire had survived the likes of Thorens, seen Garrard and Dual go to changers, AR was for the geeks, students and music majors - all broke. BIC had been a worry but had destroyed itself. The 212 was to turntables as Advent was to speakers - a new standard and well equal to anything costing FAR more.

Today, still should be a great deal provided in good operating condition. The tonearm was the only thing near the pricerange that an ADC XLM could track in.

As for the 400 cartridge, know nothing about it. A great cartridge for the arm back then was the B&O SP-12 (damn wish I could find these today nos), the XLM, the earlier ADC 25 (known as a brick) which had IMHO 1 of the best sounds of anything out there well after its demise, and Micro-Acoustics.

Would it replace my Thorens or even the Empire 598III? I'd not sell either to get the 212 and that's the problem - wifey is beginning to get suspicious that I'm becoming addicted - wait till she has Canada Poste drop 2 receivers on the doorstep.:uzi: :uzi:

Last edited:
more cool philips stuff

All this talk of philips.....I gotta post some pics of this baby.

Picked it up at a ard sale. Table was adjusted my my tech and it plays great now. I don't use it much but hate to part with it, kinda like my 5781 power amp.
has 78,45,33 and 16 speeds, scratch, rumble, 2 inputs and 2 speaker outs. Other than a few minor chips it's excellent.

Neat looking unit. Think there was one of these on eBay not too long ago. Does it have a tuner? Philips version of a KLH.

Dang I remember that thing! A mate of mine in high school had one, but was running a couple of speaker cones without cabinets - didn't seem to bother him that it sounded like a wet fart. Then again, he listened to Kiss and, uh, disco mostly. Kinda like... Krisco.

He was also enamoured of such cultural luminaries as Leif Garrison and Rick Springfield. That poor turntable was so badly abused, I tell ya.

'Scuse me while my current turntable gently weeps... :pity:

thats sure one cool looking piece.id even pick one up if i ever found one.

brian,thanks for the offer but i really want that philips vinyl.thanks for the info on the ga212.i guess ill be finding out soon what one sounds like as i just struck a deal for one today for $75us. it includes the original box
- The original Philips Super M 400 cartridge (less than 1 hour of use)
- A Spare Cartridge Support mounting,
- A Grado FT+ cartridge,
- The special tool to remove the stylus on the Grado cartridge,
- A jig to ensure any new cartridge is properly installed and its stylus in the correct position,
- A copy of the User Manual, service manual
- A 45 rpm record adaptor.
it also works perfect and is suppose to be in pristine conditon.the best part is the guys in quebec so there'll be no extra charges at the door when it comes .ill also have it within 3 days after he gets the money.
2 more recievers on the way?looks like you have the market cornered there .i only have the one.you might also consider getting both versions of each one but then the wife might call the men with the little white coats.lol
if you want once i get it i can send you a copy of the service manual and owners manual in case you ever pick one up. take care,
chris

Last edited:
Get an example of each model!? - you want to make my wife a voluntary widow. don't you?
784 / 7841 - will have
785 / 7851 - have
786 / 7861
787 / 7871

794 / 7941
795 / 7951
796 / 7961 - will have
797 / 7971
Orion shows the production dates for both the 78xx and 79xx series to be the same. 1977-1981 - seems strange. Also only seen 1 of the 7x7(1) up for sale and that was Europe.

I think these are Lab Series but have not been able to confirm. Have not seen either come up on eBay. Does anyone have one or know of them?

I am negotiating for a 4504 reel to reel to go with the 4506 reel to reel. If I get it, I may move the 4506 over and use it as ap preamp for the H-K 630 since it has a better preamp and then feed the H-K tuner into the 4506 preamp and the preamp output to the power amp of the 630. The preamp of the 4506 while not as good as the 572, does very well and better then the H-K, or at least the 1 that I have.

The table sounds great. The jig is a really rare find. Gotta mull over the record - it is eating me up trying to not bid on it.

voluntary widow.lol
seriously though at the prices youve been picking them up for i think shipping is the real killer.finding the 7871 though could be fun.i almost bid on the one in europe but the shipping qoute scared me off.
you had to go mention the reel to reels now didnt you.here i was thinking great i have a complete philips setup with the turntable on the way but now i have to get the reel to reel since i also use a reel to reel.im currently using a teac 2300sx and it works flawlessly.once i get the turntable ill finally start transferring some vinyl to tape.(just have to find a good source for tape)
are the philips reliable and good sounding? i know they had a system called dynamic noise limiter as opposed to the dolby noise reduction.is it better or basically the same?
as far as the 901 and 903 go i came across one on ebay germany.its a all in one so i question the hi fi labs designation but who knows.see pic.anyways good luck with the 4504 if you get it.oh ya any thoughts on any of their speakers just in case i run into some and really want to make the system complete.

The Orion lists the 903 at 125 watts. Can't imagine a compact with that power. The 4504/4506 are a mechanically controlled unit and not up to a Revox, Tandberg, etc. More in line with the low end Sony transports. These were supposed have been beefed up to be more competitive with Revox, etc. but too much plastic and controls feel too flimsy. Could not see these in a recording studio. The guy who runs the MFB site has something like 1/2 dozen sitting in his basement with problems. Mine has an end of tape stop issue and need to have the bias set. I think if I were seriously into reel to reel as I was when I had my Revox, I'd have a second deck. I have the 06 with the preamp which is very decent and for what I paid for the unit, the preamp alone was worth the price - though I don't see using it. The DNR is not like Dolby in that it is not an active device for recording but is designed to increase the dynamics of playback and was not designed to reduce the noise threshold as was Dolby. Without the biasing, mine sounds very good but, I don't think after being rebiased, it still will knock off an A-77 in fighting trim or a Sony 455. The 2300 transport is I think one of the nicest Japanese transports in terms of smooth operations but, the electronics weren't my cup f tea. I used to sub Crown record/playback amps with the 2300 as an alternative to a Crown which at best is not very beautiful sitting in a living room. The sound through a set of phones does come from the Philips family and that is a plus. The 4506 though is 1 impressive looking very large deck.

Back
Top Bottom