Philips Gear

philips turntable

hi brian ,thanks for the suggestions on the arms ill check some of them out.
i recieved the philips 212 yesterday and its beutiful the guy i got it from bought it new and it was very well taken care of .turns out though the cover recieved a crack in it during shipping and now we have to file a claim with canada post.other than that its in excellant condition no scratches etc anywhere.
three systems hold on a minute !! i told you only 2.ya ok tell the wife i made you do it ill just send a picture of my ammased collection of gear and then she probally wouldnt feel too bad about you collecting "a few receivers" anways gotta go clear a spot for the 212.i think ill hook up the 386 and take out the fairchild and mac for the time being.ill keep you posted.

Those plexiglas covers can usually be repaired using acetone in a very fine dispenser. Just let it run into the crack and it will weld the two sides together. You may get recompense from CP but I doubt that they can find you a new cover. For dispensers check with any dollhouse shop, they have nylon bottles with a metal head that has a very fine nozzle, I use one when building dollhouse furniture so as to not get glue on the surfaces I plan to stain.

Rob

Last edited:
thanks for the tip ill try it.
im just a little p' offed about it as it was packed in the original box labled with proper fragile label and it still managed to get damaged. ill probally take the claim money and just buy another 212 off ebay for just the cover and have a spare 212 for parts.
chris

Radioactive,
Congrats on the win. I was biting my tongue and tied my fingers and hands so not to bid on it.

Since I was such a good boy, is it possible to convince you to scan the inside that has the equipment and forward it to me. At least I'll have that and be satisfied the original went to an equally Philips dedicated fan (or at least 1 in the making).

re philips album

hi brian i appreciate that very much,i wasnt too worried about you as genarally eveyone on this board is trustworthy.i was worried about the others.just for curiosity sakes what would have been your max bid?before i went to work i set my final max bid to $101.call me crazy but im hooked.speaking of not hitting buttons i had the same problem with a fairchild 255a for a bin of $400.
as far as scanning the gatefold and literature for you its the least i can do .ill even go and photocopy it for you just pm me your address and ill send it out to you as soon as i get it .
by the way have your packages arrived yet?
chris

I think I found someone on the board crazier then I. On the brochures I went to $45 for each one that I got to make sure I'd not be beat. So I suspect had I decided to go head to head it would have been a bit more but in the end, you'd have taken it since I could buy 10 Philips receivers for your max bid. I'll always feel incomplete knowing of this jewel.

Hans Scheike,thats one thing i dont have yet is a set of philips speakers.id like to find some locally to try out but as for having to ship speakers the cost would probally outweigh the purchase price thats why i dont have any yet.

brian, i too would buy 10 recievers at that price .speaking of brochures and the like do you have a service manual for the 673?i already have the owners manual downloaded but a copy of the service manual would be handy to have.
as far as the record goes there are a few places still left here that deal in vinyl and ill check them out for you to see if by chance they might have a copy.wish me luck.
chris

Yup, agree with you about the weight, radioactive. But if you ever get the oportunity to buy the 545's in this series for a decent price, you should grab it. The small ones I own sound great but those big suckers are truly insane though they are pure full range in the freq. response.

Unfortunately these are both rare and expensive :(

Found some links for those of you interested in these speakers and this technique.

http://www.homestead.com/whaan/files/pagemfb.html

http://www.stumpie.com/tech/mfb/
This guy is strange, he first disconnects the MFB in one of the woofers, then he complains about the sound of the speakers :rolleyes:

http://www.mfbfreaks.com/ENG/index1.html

Yes, I have the manual. Can you receive a large file via email?

The MFB speakers were from an era where speaker manufacuters tried to match amps to drivers such as the Powered Advents (anyone got a set of these), Proton (got 3 of these each needing repair). and the big boys from A/D/S. I always like the sound of the Philips midrange driver and tweeter from that era and the MFBs. The speakers were very good and excellent bookshelf speakers. With today's HT, these make more snse than even when they were made.

I'll get it to you probably tonight. Desk is a mess and need to find the CD.

Got the 796 in last night and have these comments;
1) Chip Russell, the seller - EXCELLLENT - I mean REALLY EXCELLENT packer. THough he only single boxed the unit, the box was constructed like the 1 I have from ARC for the D76. The packing was first rate, polybagged, good foam around it. To top it all off, though I've not confirmed it, he then used the foam in a can to make sure NOTHING would shift. The unit was literally sealed in the box and I had to break the foam to get to it. This puppy was not going anyplace. UNit was exactly as described and we discussed. THe volume control at low setting has a small amount of static, the speaker switch likewise (same as on my 7851). Very little dust seen through the vent, faceplate, lettering all very good and only 2 small veneer chips on the top at the edge where the vent intersects.

2) Physically, this unit is some 3" wider than the 7851. Theought the vent, I can see the power transformer which looks like something lifted from a tube amp rather than what was being used typically in the 80s. The unit must have been designed to run cool on the outputs since they are covered with a plastic cap since they are mounted on the outside of the unit similar to early Scotts such as the 342. The back plate is the heartsink rather than using the fin arrangement of the 7851. It has a set of input selector lights like the H-K 630, that the 7851 does not hae. This may be a difference between the 78xx and 79xx series besides the ridge on the facia of the 79xx series, lacking on the 78xx series. The FM scale is LONG, much more so than anything else in my receiver collection.

3) Sound is very similar to the 7851 on the Klipsch Heresy II with an exception being at least initially through the FM, that the bass is more evident and extended without detracting from the other pluses I've mentioned about the 7851 Klipsch combo. Over the holidays, I'll sub the Advents and see what happens

The receiver cost $10 plus shipping and though 45 watts, suspect Philips was just a bit conservative but, have not pushed it to see what my little RS 500 meter shows.

glad to hear this one was packed a little better than the last one you received.still waitng for the 784?theres a 7851 on ebay if you want to go with your 785 you did say one of each didnt you wait never mind that was me.i still might go for the 572 since i dont think itll go that high with the hum problem.im still deciding!! with all this talk about the rs power meters i might get mine out and do some measuring of my different amps.
im in no rush for the service manual so dont rush it.just send it whenever you have the time.
chris

The 2nd preamp did not meet reserve. I found the CD but need your email. Still waiting for the 7841. Another 785(x), I'm beginnning to get piles of receivers and my, the guy who has always been a separates guy. At this rate I'm going to need more speakers. Actually looking a set of new Belles a dealer wants to sell at cost since no one wants them - damn too many things to buy and not enough room.

It is on the way to you as we speak. $44 for the 7851; hey my average is something like $15 plus postage. Am I driving the market price up by trying to buy too many?

ya youve seem to be getting the good prices on them. i think you better slow down and let me grab a few more i have to catch up. as for the prices go theyre not to bad yet.i wonder when a7871 will show up?even a 7861 would be nice im not too greedy!!!
chris

If a 787/7871/797/7971 hits the auction block, we are both going to be going for it. These are going to be hard finds I suspect since they were only 60 watts and $700. At this point I gotta believe based on the improvement from the 785 to the 796 these maybe in the sound quality range of the Marantz 18/19 as they related to everything else when they were in production.

kinda makes me think i should have gone after the one in europe7871
notice it has the ansc so i wonder if the tuner section was on par with the 673. id be interesting to get one .on par with the marantz 18/19? your driving the price up you know that dont you ssssh.lol
as far as both going for it .it'd depend when it came up.since i have some funds coming to me from various sales id go for one now. was there not a 80w receiver or was it just a 80w integrated they made?
chris

I suspect it may be since both it and the 673 were US designed and produced while the 185 was produced and maybe even designed overseas. Time to go hook up the Advents and play.

Back
Top Bottom