Phillips 962SA

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
Well I managed to talk the lady into buying another SACDP yesterday, I think because we bought a very heavy ceiling fan that I am going to have to install including running wires for it. Payback can be sweet.
Pulled out the old Toshiba which I do really like but won't take some formats like VCD.
First impressions are after about 4 hours is that it tends to be a bit more shrill at high volume with redbook than the Toshiba. Something I can easily live with as I don't listen that loud anyway.
Where it is better than the Toshiba is at the upper scale with redbook which is a bit more airy and crisp. And of course it will play SACDs which I do like.
I like the looks, the remote is a nice size but the controls on the machine are a bit clumsy to use as it takes a bit of pressure and I have my isolation ball things under it so it is bouncy.
I have hooked up progressive scan and am looking forward to the picture for movies. I will report more after I run a few DVDs through it using surround.
One bad thing about the machine is that when a SACD disc is put in it automatically goes to surround mode and you have to put it back to stereo with the remote. Everytime.
Oh yea, $350 at Tweeter.

I have been living with the Phillips for a while now and am really enjoying it. I can't really compare it to vinyl since I don't have a TT set up but compared to the HDCD Toshiba there is a bit more airyness to redbook, the SBM CDs sound cleaner but the highs seem to extend a bit much or I am having problems with the room at high levels which is when I notice this.
At normal listening levels this is a very nice machine with any disc that is a good recording. It of course shows flaws a bit more than the old machine but that was to be expected if not hoped for.
SACD is great. I put on Santana Abraxis and really cranked it. It stayed clear as a bell, I heard none of the harsh edge that I was getting from redbook and the percussionist was running his fingers through the chimes in my garage because the soundstage was deeper than the room.
As far as a DVD player goes it would be fine if it was hooked up to a HT reciever but it will not fill my needs because if you set the surrounds as large speakers or in other words full range it automatically cuts the sub off. If you turn the sub on it automatically sets the satallites for 120 Hz and up.
The progressive scan makes a beautiful picture but the analog audio output is not for the person that uses full range speakers all around.
4 out of 5 for Stereo
5 out of 5 for picture
2.5 out of 5 for DVD audio.

Back
Top Bottom