Philly CL: mystery speakers?

You really need to have the backs removed from the speakers if possible and get a look inside to determine the real drivers and types.

With a cab that size, easily could have a three way system in there but more likely it is one or two way if circa late 1950's.

Certainly the cabinets look very substantial and even if the drivers aren't much, you could get a very nice pair of cabinets that could be used to house some great components (like a set of JBL drivers).

Real important though to see if the baffle is screwed on or glued in. that would tell you whether your can change the baffle, if needed. I'll lay odds though that the grille cloth isn't particularly removable and the drivers were all mounted on the baffle from the back only.

I wonder if they might be bozaks?

Anyway, you should email the seller and see if they can provide more information (ID labels?) or just take a good look at them. "Negotiable" might mean he'll really deal, especially if they are taking up that much room in a hallway!

Good Luck!

Regards,

Bart

I've picked up KLH's and CS-88a's that looked like that. Apparently at one time it was "the thing" to re-cover the grills with fabric that best matched your macrame and shag carpet. Just a thought. ;)

Back
Top Bottom