Phone Scams Getting worse

Beatnik

What's this ?
My mother (88) got a call yesterday and the caller id was for spectrum cable so she answered, as that's who she uses. They told her they could put together a better package for her and save her money.

Luckily my sister was there and she gave her the phone because mom's not up on that stuff. Turns out it was Direct Tv wanting to set up their stuff. They called back the caller id'd number after hanging up and it reached Spectrum.

I can't believe a well known company like Direct Tv would pull this king of slime ball tactic.

News lately had a story on companies trying to get a recording of you saying the word yes and re-editing the recording to make it sound like you ok'd whatever they selling/offering.

Before long they won't even need that, they'll use google assistant to say whatever they need in your voice.

spectrum need to be made aware .. they perhaps already are but would very likely want to know in any case .

If they cannot determine the origin of the call, what use is it to file a complaint?

Get calls all the time spoofing numbers I do business with. Just let the answering service pick it up. If legit, they will leave a message. So it's not just Directv.

They are very good at spoofing numbers. I got a call from "Direct TV Tech Support" (on caller ID) saying they could offer me a better package than I have for $69.99/month, which is about $80 less than I pay. I ask them how they can dop that and they say it's a special promotion they are running. I ask can I get this on their web site or can I call them back? They say no, I have to decide now. So, I figure OK, I'll play along. I say go for it. They now say need to pay a one time fee of $300.Now I know they're trying to pull something. They ask for my credit card number. Now, I have them paid automatically from my credit card so they already have it on file. I tell them that and they say they need it to do a one time billing for the special. so, I say "You're not really from DirectTV, are you?" and they hang up.

I called the REAL Direct TV and told them about this and they are aware of this but there's not a lot they can do. Now, what I really wanted to know is how did the scammer know I had a Direct TV account? They couldn't answer that one.

Lately for me its been some scam Veterans service trying to help me with mortgage rates. Yesterday after them calling 4 times I picked up and told them I was never in the military (which wasn't true) then they tried arguing with me.

Last edited:
I get collections calls for my ex. The phone doesn't ring, it goes straight to voicemail, so I can't block them. If I want it stopped I have to listen to the message, get the number and call them myself.

the scams in my area in new hampshire?
cell phone- car insurance warranty, veteran scams (i'm a vet) and it pisses me off!!!
direct tv/internet 'lower rates'
and then theres
the door knockers-
people going around posing as the gas company, claiming to fill out these forms using our bills an info. a week later its the same idiots acting as meter readers for the electric company, wanting to read our meters and seeing our bills.
each week i tell em get a life, find an honest job, and stop scamming people. their dumb or think some of us are stupid, our meters elec, gas,water are read by remote transponders. from when the trucks drive by.

I don't answer my phone, if they do not leave a message I figure it is not important. After a couple of calls from the same number I google the number and then usually block them.

My mother (88) got a call yesterday and the caller id was for spectrum cable so she answered, as that's who she uses. They told her they could put together a better package for her and save her money.

Luckily my sister was there and she gave her the phone because mom's not up on that stuff. Turns out it was Direct Tv wanting to set up their stuff. They called back the caller id'd number after hanging up and it reached Spectrum.

I can't believe a well known company like Direct Tv would pull this king of slime ball tactic.

News lately had a story on companies trying to get a recording of you saying the word yes and re-editing the recording to make it sound like you ok'd whatever they selling/offering.

Before long they won't even need that, they'll use google assistant to say whatever they need in your voice.
yes, dont say yes on the phone to any bizness. now that most phones are VOIP, especially businesses, its real easy to spoof the headers to make it look like your dead grandma is calling...

I rarely use my cell phone. I got a call the other day, and the caller ID said it was me.

I get those too. Most days, I already know what I'm thinking, so I don't answer myself. I do draw the line at returning letters to myself.

Back
Top Bottom