Phono channel.....

Reliving.

Hi , new member here from UK....Bad hum and no sound when switched to phono channel.....? What has cooked....? No visible signs ?....

Were can I learn the different stages of in Amp...what is the equaliser amp.

Was a CD player used in phono input..... which killed channel....?

Many thanks Matt from UK.

Sorry Amp is a Sony TA 1630 1978.....will change all caps....what is the very large black one used for on main power board.

what is the very large black one used for on main power board.
Appears to be a dual cap. Two 5600µf @ 35vdc in one package.Good luck finding one of those.Its for the raw unregulated B + and - voltage .

Last edited:
Sorry Amp is a Sony TA 1630 1978.....will change all caps....what is the very large black one used for on main power board.

Large caps are power filter caps for the entire unit. I'd spray some deoxit through all the knobs/switches. Also make sure tape monitor isn't engaged.

Appears to be a dual cap. Two 5600µf @ 35vdc in one package.Good luck finding one of those.Its for the raw unregulated B + and - voltage .
Many thanks for reply, Cap hard to find should I let this one swim away.......or is Cap quite reliable .....

Trying to work out Phono stage....path.... channel....or wot ever it's called ....... sorry very long learning curve here.

If I re _Capped which area should I start......

Cheers Gents ... respect too you all......need a PRO to help.

Aston Martin restorer so I know me metal.

If everything works but the phono thats where I would start. It could be a cap, but more likely a dirty selector switch or possibly blown transistors in the phono section.

If everything works but the phono thats where I would start. It could be a cap, but more likely a dirty selector switch or possibly blown transistors in the phono section.
Lavane is right.

If it's passing distorted audio with a bad hum it could be a cap, but if it's passing no audio it's more likely to be something else.

Fix it first, then if you so desire recap it. Recapping before repair can sometimes compound your troubles.

Many thanks to all.....What makes of Caps would you use in phone section and what makes for Power Board.....

do the very small green ceramic caps go wrong with old age.

cheers matt.

Back
Top Bottom