Phono preamp best and models

Thanks will check this out as i have had Yamaha recievers and npw A/V s now. I even have a Yamaha Motorcycle

I've tried the Lounge, the Schiit and the ART. Believe it or not, I like the ART the best, and it's the cheapest. Has some lovely 3D air that shouldn't exist on something that cheap. But it does.

All three pale in comparison to the pre-section on my Yamaha CA-2010, same vintage as that C-1.

P.S. -- I've seen two Pro-Ject pres that died prematurely. FYI.

Thanks but my assembly days are done. Last electronics thing i made was a Hafler DH-200 Amp. Played great but i think the power went haywire it blew out my Electro Voice Interface A's

"Best" is highly subjective. I'd start with what your budget is and you should get some actionable suggestions with that. Stand-alone phono preamps can be had for well under $100 and well into the four figures, so there's a lot to choose from. Once you state your budget, you'll get plenty of input on how to spend that and even more money :p

I'm enjoying my Sutherland KC Vibe. It took a bit of playing time to burn in but seems to have settled in to a very nice natural sound. Still waiting on my Samuels F117 to come back. Also a very nice pre...battery powered with gain/load setting adjustable vis knobs on the front. VERY convenient for adjustments on the fly. My. Pig has made numerous favorable comments about his Liberty and, more recently, the Valab he acquired from ebay.

Really depends on what you're looking for and how much $$$ you want to spend.

I'd start with the ART. Then buy another one in your want list and A/B it. Return it if it doesn't sound better. Easy peasy.

"Best" is highly subjective. I'd start with what your budget is and you should get some actionable suggestions with that. Stand-alone phono preamps can be had for well under $100 and well into the four figures, so there's a lot to choose from. Once you state your budget, you'll get plenty of input on how to spend that and even more money :p
I would say $50.00 - $300.00 range.

No experience with the Pro-Ject but the Bellari VP130 is a great little pre for the $$. I enjoyed mine while it was here. Have a good friend that doesn't want to replace his.

This PS audio one is really good, but no MC, and it doesn't come up for sale often. But they usually go for around $50.
tacghR5.jpg

Another good cheapo that comes up for same more often is the Realistic 42-2101a, again no MC. I got mine for $20 shipped.

I've tried the Lounge, the Schiit and the ART. Believe it or not, I like the ART the best, and it's the cheapest. Has some lovely 3D air that shouldn't exist on something that cheap. But it does.

All three pale in comparison to the pre-section on my Yamaha CA-2010, same vintage as that C-1.

P.S. -- I've seen two Pro-Ject pres that died prematurely. FYI.

I recently sold my Schiit Mani. Lovely sound but very porine to interference. I still have my DJ art II.... and I love it. Silent as a mouse. No interference at all.

Back
Top Bottom