Phono preamp recommendations

antman07442

First, I want to be able to hook up a second turntable to my recently acquired Marantz 2240 ... my budget would be between $50-100 ...

Second, I saw a few tube preamp on Amazon within this price range ... any one using something along this line?

Finally, here are my choices as to turntable possibilities:
unmodified ARXA
Marantz 6100
or a Pioneer PL 15D II

Which would you hook directly to the phono input and which would you hook into the unit using a the above-mentioned to be aquired phono-preamp (will a pre-amp alter the sound quality that comes through the receiver?)

Note the third turntable will be used in my office and will be attached to my Sansui QRX 7500 (that is moving from the main system to make way for the marantz)

Thank you all in advance!

the 2240 has an excellent phono stage and you probably arent going to get a phono pre that is better than that in the $50-100 range. you could get a little bear phono tube pre in that price range that would sound a bit different then the SS in your 2240 and maybe you will like how tubes sound. i use a rek-o-kut phono switch that works quite well for hooking up 2 tables to 1 receiver, with this you could use both tables on the 2240 phono input.
https://soundapproach.com/rek-o-kut-low-noise-stereo-phono-aux-switch.html

electn3.jpg

Last edited:
For that value I would definitly recomend the Art DJ Pre II. I have it and its very very good.

Other options are the Rega Mini A2D. Had it and sold it. I find the Art DJ better. But the Rega is also good. Also the shiit mani is a good option (a bit more expensive) but also does MC carts.

One of these 3... are the holy grails of budget phono preamps

For a bit more budget, there is the Emotiva XPS-1 (I have used this and can recommend) and the Hagerman Bugle (has always intrigued me, especially in kit form)

No offense to those that like the ART DJ phono budget phono preamp but it was built to a budget bt a company that makes recording equipment. There are plenty of used phono preamps out there for under $100 like the Shiit Mani, Little Bear Cambridge Audio and others

First, I want to be able to hook up a second turntable to my recently acquired Marantz 2240 ... my budget would be between $50-100 ...

Second, I saw a few tube preamp on Amazon within this price range ... any one using something along this line?

Finally, here are my choices as to turntable possibilities:
unmodified ARXA
Marantz 6100
or a Pioneer PL 15D II

Which would you hook directly to the phono input and which would you hook into the unit using a the above-mentioned to be aquired phono-preamp (will a pre-amp alter the sound quality that comes through the receiver?)

Note the third turntable will be used in my office and will be attached to my Sansui QRX 7500 (that is moving from the main system to make way for the marantz)

Thank you all in advance!

I’m confused.

1. You want to hook a second turntable to the Marantz
2. A phone preamp for $50-100
3. Choice of 2nd turntable is listed
4. You mention a 3rd turntable
5. You have a QRX 7500
6. What is your primary turntable and cart?
7. What is your goal? Multiple systems or better sound?

Thank you all for the responses! To clear up the confusion, my goal is to primarily obtain the best sound with the equipment I have and secondarily if possible have a second turntable in my main listening room.

To that end I have moved the Marantz to the main room, and currently have my ARXA connected to it. But I would also like to hook either the 6100 or the PL 15D II to it as well. And with only one phono input this is where my dilema began.

The QRX 7500 will be in my home office. I work from home, and use it all day.

The ARXA has a Pickering - V15 Phase IV cart on it. The Marantz 6100 has a Sumiko Oyster on it. The Pionerr PL 15D II has a Shure M95ED on it.

I like the idea of the rek-o-kut phono switch, but will I sacrifice any sound or improve sound by adding a pre-amp to the Marantz?

So I come back to the questions of do I use the phono switch or a budget pre-amp? Which will provide the least impact to the sound of the Marantz? Based on my turntable options, what turntable(s) would you hook-up to the receivers (main room getting the preferencial to the best options)?

you would not lose any sound quality with the rek-o-kut its a straight pass through, it is well shielded and made for this purpose to avoid the hum that you can get using regular rca switch boxes. as for a phono pre impacting the sound it will still be the marantz producing the sound no matter what you connect but it could sound different as the quality will probably not be any better in that price range and probably not as good. i bought a rega fono pre which retails around $400 and it was not better then the phono input of my 22XX receivers it sounds pretty much the same. I didnt notice any real improvement over the marantz's until i got some MC carts and pricier phono stages ($800 and above) for me even the MM carts sound better on the tube phono pre's they add a little more warmth for me, thats why i suggested an inexpensive tube pre, it should give you a warmer sound than the marantz and you might even like it better only you can know that.

No offense to those that like the ART DJ phono budget phono preamp but it was built to a budget bt a company that makes recording equipment. There are plenty of used phono preamps out there for under $100 like the Shiit Mani, Little Bear Cambridge Audio and others
Having done side-by-side comparisons of the ART DJ Pre II, the Schiit Mani and the Lounge LCR MKIII, the ART more than holds its own against the competition. It surprised me.

I personally don't have a dog in this fight -- I use the phono section in my Yamaha CA-2010 and have yet to find anything that can top it. But I'll vouch for the ART as a remarkable piece of gear for the money. It punches way above it's price point.

Back
Top Bottom