Phono preamp suggestion for my system

Solist

Greetings to all!

I need some suggestions for a preamp that would work well with my system.

Currently I am using:

Dual 1019 -> Tesla P1011 - > Shure m75 (4mv - 47k ohms) -> Analogis Easy phono preamp -> Dual CV80 -> EV Interface 2 (mark I)

I really do not know much about preamps, I have read good things about the Cambridge Audio preamps, but that is really all.
AFAIK I will be better buying a newer preamp.
Also worth to mention I am looking at second hand stuff, and I am in no hurry to buy it now, just want to know what I should be looking for.

Last edited:
I had a need for variable equalization and found bliss with a Graham Slee Accession....which has stereo/mono switching...4 capacitance settings (off, 100, 220, 320pF)…
Eq: OFF (for acoustic records), early American (CBS, etc.), early British (London, Decca, etc.) and RIAA. I got mine as a store demo for $300 off list.

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0188.jpg
    100_0188.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0189.jpg
    100_0189.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 183
Did you try any other preamp from this company? I doubt I will get such a good deal as u did on the Slee Accession :)

I hate to interrupt this groove (get it? ;)) but I got a demo Graham Slee Amp 3 for my MC cartridge and it’s excellent. Neutral & noise free.

I’m sure the Accession is even better!

Last edited:
A budget may help, phono pre's can be had for under $50 all the way up into the 5 figures. Also, do you want something that can be used with Moving Magnet (MM - which is what you list) only, or do you want Moving Coil (MC) capability as well?

I have used and can recommend:

Emotiva XPS-1 (MM and MC, limited loading options for MC only) ~ $150
Vista Audio Phono-1 mkII (MM and MC, variable gain and loading via plug in resistors) ~ $300
Rothwell Simplex (MM only) - this is my current phono pre

Greetings to all!

Currently I am using:

Dual 1019 -> Tesla P1011 - > Shure m75 (4mv - 47k ohms) -> Analogis Easy phono preamp -> Dual CV80 -> EV Interface 2 (mark I)

I really do not know much about preamps, I have read good things about the Cambridge Audio preamps, but that is really all.
Also worth to mention I am looking at second hand stuff, and I am in no hurry to buy it now, just want to know what I should be looking for.

The build in phono of the Dual CV80 integrated amp should be quite competent, how do you like it? :idea:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/dual/cv-80.shtml

I hate to interrupt this groove (get it? ;)) but I got a demo Graham Slee Amp 3 for my MC cartridge and it’s excellent. Neutral & noise free.

I’m sure the Accession is even better!

For Shure you can try, although it probably wont skip! :) Thank you for the advice, the Slee 3 is more towards my budget!

A budget may help, phono pre's can be had for under $50 all the way up into the 5 figures. Also, do you want something that can be used with Moving Magnet (MM - which is what you list) only, or do you want Moving Coil (MC) capability as well?

I have used and can recommend:

Emotiva XPS-1 (MM and MC, limited loading options for MC only) ~ $150
Vista Audio Phono-1 mkII (MM and MC, variable gain and loading via plug in resistors) ~ $300
Rothwell Simplex (MM only) - this is my current phono pre

Well the budget really depends. Anything that I would not consider upgrading afterwards, heh even I dont believe myself.. (Lets say if I can find a good deal up to 200 max). After the phono upgrade I will concentrate on expanding the record library so I would like to forget equipment shopping for as long as I can :)

Yes I will use it with a MM cartridge. It really wont bother me if it does not have an MC input.
Also if its worth to mention, I listen mostly (90% of the time) to acoustic music (jazz, ethno, and classical solo arrangements). The rest is rock etc..

Thank your for the suggestions!

The build in phono of the Dual CV80 integrated amp should be quite competent, how do you like it? :idea:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/dual/cv-80.shtml

When I bought it, it did not work properly (there was hiss in the channels), thats why I bought a separate preamp. After that it was serviced but I really did not try the phono input. Will do some testing tomorrow, just need to find where I put the adapters :)

Last edited:
I started with a CA 551, it was OK, not terrible, better than the stock preamp on a Luxman R-115 certainly.
Moved up to the 640 and thought it was much better.
Finally bought a Yamaha C50 preamp that sounds just as good as the 640 as I run 2 TT's and frequently play DJ in the house.
The Yamaha C50 has inputs for 2 MM tables.
If you want a not too expensive plug and play preamp the CA is not bad sounding at all.
Good soundstage and seperation. Brings out the good points of whatever cartridge you are using.
In my case it performed well with Pickering XSV 3000's, Shure M97xe, Sumiko Pearl and half dozen Grado carts.
Now, this is a "budget" pre an I'm a working stiff "budget" guy so this meets my price/return needs.
Surely there are MUCH MUCH better preamps available as the guys on AK will add, but none of them are in my price range.
Good luck with your search!!!

For Shure you can try, although it probably wont skip! :) Thank you for the advice, the Slee 3 is more towards my budget!
Go ahead, needle me with your bad puns! If you are sticking with MM then use a Slee 2. Also, the PS-1 external power supply is highly recommended for these units.

Enjoy your search!

I started with a CA 551, it was OK, not terrible, better than the stock preamp on a Luxman R-115 certainly.
Moved up to the 640 and thought it was much better.
Finally bought a Yamaha C50 preamp that sounds just as good as the 640 as I run 2 TT's and frequently play DJ in the house.
The Yamaha C50 has inputs for 2 MM tables.
If you want a not too expensive plug and play preamp the CA is not bad sounding at all.
Good soundstage and seperation. Brings out the good points of whatever cartridge you are using.
In my case it performed well with Pickering XSV 3000's, Shure M97xe, Sumiko Pearl and half dozen Grado carts.
Now, this is a "budget" pre an I'm a working stiff "budget" guy so this meets my price/return needs.
Surely there are MUCH MUCH better preamps available as the guys on AK will add, but none of them are in my price range.
Good luck with your search!!!

Thank you! I will see if any pop up for sale :)

Go ahead, needle me with your bad puns! If you are sticking with MM then use a Slee 2. Also, the PS-1 external power supply is highly recommended for these units.

Enjoy your search!

Hey, after 12 hours of studying, there is not much brain power left for puns :boring:

I have a Pro-ject 1.2 which I have modified by adding a lot of non-resonant rubber mass to the platter (among other things). I had been using various internal amp phono units and eventually a Dynovox TC-720 preamp (a bit like the TCC units), which was kind of O.K. I then bought an ART DJ pre which I use with a low noise linear power supply. It's being used with a Sumiko Pearl and is set at 100pF loading which seems to suit it. I was quite surprised at how good this little preamp is - certainly good value for money at the budget end of things and the level control is useful. Points against - that bright blue LED. I might open it up and change that.

Check out Vista Audio. Great sounding, affordable, quiet, completely flexible loading with adjustable gain settings for mm and mc.

Totally underrated.

I have decided to go with the DIY preamp, I still need to order the PCBs (apologies for taking so long sachu). Who knows, maybe one day I will need to build an amp :)

Greetings to all!

Currently I am using:

2 suggestions- tube box s (medium price range) art dj pre ii (cheap but amazing.)

Back
Top Bottom