Phono Preamps

MotherSauce1

I'm sure this has been covered and I've read some of the threads, but anyone with experience in multiple phono pre's have preferences between these:

Schiit Mani
NAD PP3
Graham Slee Gram Amp 2
Rega Fono MkII

Best to all!

By reputation, if the Graham is the SE version, it will sound wonderful. I haven't heard any of them.

Also by reputation, I would consider a Parks Audio Budgie. What cartridge are you running?

There was a blind test between the Schiit Mani and the Uturn Pluto a while back and the Pluto won by some margin, but I think thew Mani can be setup to work with MC carts as well as MM, which is a pretty decent advantage in my book.

There was a blind test between the Schiit Mani and the Uturn Pluto a while back and the Pluto won by some margin, but I think thew Mani can be setup to work with MC carts as well as MM, which is a pretty decent advantage in my book.
The Pluto has midrange. :)

Meaning the EQ on the Mani has a big dip in the midrange?

Or the Pluto rolls off the lows and highs. Either issue will cause the same impression when doing a comparison.

The way to find out which it would be is to test the response. Using an inverse RIAA filter, feed a flat signal through the inverse filter then into the preamp and observe the output of the preamp. The one with the flattest output is the one closest to the RIAA response curve. Then it's all about the cartridge and cartridge loading.

Or the Pluto rolls off the lows and highs. Either issue will cause the same impression when doing a comparison.

The way to find out which it would be is to test the response. Using an inverse RIAA filter, feed a flat signal through the inverse filter then into the preamp and observe the output of the preamp. The one with the flattest output is the one closest to the RIAA response curve. Then it's all about the cartridge and cartridge loading.
Absolutely incorrect. Listen to a female vocal. With the Pluto the vocal comes through loud and clear. With the Mani the body of the vocal is completely gone. I own both of them so I know what I'm talking about. :)

Is there something you don't like about the PSE's built-in phono stage? I remember being favorably impressed with PSE products at a hifi shop I worked for briefly in the late '80's and early 90's and would suggest making comparative auditions between it and any outboard phono stage you're considering before spending money on one. I don't know the choices in Portland well anymore, but is there a dealer you can go to to audition one or more of the phono stages you've listed? A quick search came up with Stereotype Audio and Pearl Audio as Rega dealers, and perhaps there are other options.

Should you be schlepping your own goods on the site? Some might see that as a conflict of interest.
Had the same thought but bit my tongue. Pretty sure it's not in the same pricerange the OP is considering either.
Generally I don't "schlep" my own goods but I pay for the privilege so I might as well. Besides, why shouldn't I be proud of my own stuff and recommend it?

Generally I don't "schlep" my own goods but I pay for the privilege so I might as well. Besides, why shouldn't I be proud of my own stuff and recommend it?

I am sure the staff here will work that out. But as I recall there are ettiquette on all audio boards about sponsors and their discussion of their products. It certainly is great to know about them, how they are built, and what the design pricincipals are. I know people who own your products, and they have always been discussed in a positive light.

With that said, its different than schlepping your wares in an open forum. But I am just a lowly pig, and its a simple opinion of a barnyard animal.

Regards
Mister Pig

Personally, I'd have liked it better if the post had said, "Hey, we make this, we think it's pretty great, check it out!" instead of making no mention that it was a product made by the poster and simply saying to buy it without any info about it.

The Gramamp2 was the one I liked best when listening to them. I had the Mani and it was the lowest on the rung for me,even against the Cambridge Audio 551P and Bellari VP129.

Having said this, I will also comment that most of these phono pre amps under $200.00 do sound very close to each other,just minute details separate them IMO.

Back
Top Bottom