Phono Stage Suggestions

jonnyglass

I'm in the market for an MC phono stage for the mono table. Budget around $1k, preferably less. Used is fine/preferred. Must have a mono switch. On my list currently are the PS Audio Nuwave Phono and the Audio Research PH5 (a bit over budget). Any other suggestions or input on the PS or ARC?

My cartridge is the AT33Mono which has two horizontal coils - one going into each channel, looking for the mono switch on the phono stage to "strap" the channels. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
+1 on the Graham slee, I have the (Acession) and it has a mono switch and I plan to get the (Elevator) when I step into LOMC, they are exceptional sounding phono stages imo.

Audiofreak71

Out of curiosity, wouldn't a mono cartridge and a mono switch be redundant? I would assume with a mono cart that the same exact audio signal would be sent to the l/r inputs of the phono stage, no? What would be the benefit of further summing the channels?

Out of curiosity, wouldn't a mono cartridge and a mono switch be redundant? I would assume with a mono cart that the same exact audio signal would be sent to the l/r inputs of the phono stage, no? What would be the benefit of further summing the channels?
scratching my head also.

I'm in the market for an MC phono stage for the mono table. Budget around $1k, preferably less. Used is fine/preferred. Must have a mono switch. On my list currently are the PS Audio Nuwave Phono and the Audio Research PH5 (a bit over budget). Any other suggestions or input on the PS or ARC?

My cartridge is the AT33Mono which has two horizontal coils - one going into each channel, looking for the mono switch on the phono stage to "strap" the channels. Thanks in advance!

I just read the features of the AT33Mono, it states "a horizontal coil", it doesn't specifically state two.

https://eu.audio-technica.com/cartridges/AT33MONO

I now see that. There is another inconsistency in their description. In the text it reads, "Elliptical stylus chip and hard duralumin cantilever" but there is a rendering with the caption reading, "Conical, Nude Square Shank"

Conical-Nude-Square-Shank.jpg

I have to assume the bottom text of the web page is correct; I'm not hearing the dead-centered mono presentation that I would expect. If there are indeed two horizontal coils, would it make sense to short the channels together before going into the phono pre? I would think that could change the capacitance/inductance of the cart? Could there be other concerns with switching to mono via the phono stage or preamp; such as weakened bass due to phase issues or other artifacts?

Unfortunately my current preamp does not have a mono switch; though I'll likely be upgrading to another that does in a few weeks, at that point I can experimentally prove things out. Anyone out there with a similar cart that can report back their experiences?

Back
Top Bottom