Phonograph Pre-Amp

jefftd

The thread I saw was five years old, so I figured there was probably some better information out there, which is why I started this one, rather than resurrecting the dead.

I recently managed to get my Beogram RX2 turntable spinning again. It has an MMC5 cartridge. While I wasn't using my turntable, I had to replace my receiver, but ended up getting a Yamaha that did not have a phono pre-amp installed. With what is currently available, what pre-amp would be suggested?

I do know it actually plays because I could listen to an album, but had the volume almost maxed out, which is really not ideal.

The thread I saw was five years old, so I figured there was probably some better information out there, which is why I started this one, rather than resurrecting the dead.

I recently managed to get my Beogram RX2 turntable spinning again. It has an MMC5 cartridge. While I wasn't using my turntable, I had to replace my receiver, but ended up getting a Yamaha that did not have a phono pre-amp installed. With what is currently available, what pre-amp would be suggested?

I do know it actually plays because I could listen to an album, but had the volume almost maxed out, which is really not ideal.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

What is the approximate budget for the pre-amp ? :idea:

If I just say "reasonable" that won't really cut it, but I recall spending $250 or so when I bought the turntable back in the 80's, so let's keep it under that.

Another question, my turntable has a ground lead, but while I know my old receiver had a spot for that, my new doesn't, probably because it doesn't have the phono preamp. Do these preamps have a ground feature, or am I safe to not hook that up, or is there some other way to work that out?

There's also the Shiit Mani that is affordable and well regarded.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
BTW, when I started making outboard phonostages - over 25 years ago! - there was hardly anything else on the market. How come I didn't get rich from it?

You were way ahead of the time. :thumbsup:

Most of us were using the on-board phonostages that were built into the receiver/integrated amps and pre-amps of that time.

You up for a DIY solution? If so, I have two very well thought of preamps for you, both a lot cheaper but, when built will, will perform up to the level of the ones you can get for that price:

The first is Rod Elliot's project p06:

http://sound.whsites.net/project06.htm

The second is a design worked up on this forum by member Hypnotoad

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....igh-end-phono-stage-no-expense-spared.371889/

Circuit boards are available for both and both are based on readily available Op-Amps.

Good luck on your choice.

Shelly_D

I'll sell you my vista phono 1 for cheap. I just picked up the phono 2. Mine is the MC version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom