Photo Critique

I would like to get some criticism on my photos. Not just a, ooh... nice pic. But some down and dirty, but constructive criticism. Everything from the technical aspects to subject matter. Hopefully it will help me take better photos.

Thanks!
Carl

I would like to get some criticism on my photos. Not just a, ooh... nice pic. But some down and dirty, but constructive criticism. Everything from the technical aspects to subject matter. Hopefully it will help me take better photos.

Thanks!
Carl

Be careful what you ask for.

:D

Hey Texun, Bigerik is just messing with Carl. It's his Canadian humor. Twisted as that might be. :D

I understand... It takes a twisted one to know one. I sent Carl a PM when he first posted. I asked your question, basically are you ready for this?

Hey Carl, be sure to post the technical info as well as this will give some insight that might allow the critics to make suggestions from the technical side.

Also, are we free to play with your images and post our results to compare with your original as long as we use it for that purpose only or do you prefer that we stick to suggestions only?

Okay here is one for starters. I used a Nikon 8700 back in 2004. I don't have the original image on hand, so the only technical info I have is:
Focal length: 22.3
Exposure: 1/375
Size: 2592x1944
Post Processing: I bumped up the color saturations a hair.

Ukulele.jpg

Okay here is one for starters. I used a Nikon 8700 back in 2004. I don't have the original image on hand, so the only technical info I have is:
Focal length: 22.3
Exposure: 1/375
Size: 2592x1944
Post Processing: I bumped up the color saturations a hair.

Ukulele.jpg

Looks very good and the only thing I can add is to maybe straighten the structure. It looks like there is a little lean to the right. Other than that nice shot.

I would experiment with levels and darken the midtones. It's possible that this will not improve things, but I always try it to see if the image pops. Sometime it does and sometimes not.

It's often preferable to playing with saturation.

I love the subject, color and lighting. I think it would be better if the guy playing the Uke was more of a focal point in the foreground. I want to see the sharper focus texture of the painted wood. And why didn't you rake the sand? Thanks for posting that and keep shooting. You are brave.

Just kidding about the sand.

Last edited:
Although you have the subject matter to the right the composition is lacking. The trees on the left are distracting and unattractive. Same with the tree on the right. There is nothing to draw the eye around the shot. There is nothing to make the brain work. There is no depth to the shot. It is two dimensional. There is no dynamic use of light. It is flat and harsh. Wrong time of day to shoot. There is no emotion, story, moment in time captured. It is a correctly exposed snapshot of nothing.

This critique is honest, meant with respect, and will hopefully help. It is not meant to be a slam.

Back
Top Bottom