Photography 101 Basics (Indoor Shots)

Taking photos with your camera is just like listening to music through your stereo. The only difference is your listening with your eyes. Fine tune your eyes and take the time, experiment until you find what you like.

Cheers,
Carl

I love your quote! I shot only in B/W before I went digital and I used to say that B/W photos are like reading words printed on a page. You color the photos with your imagination the way your minds eye creates the images in a book when reading the written word.

The analogy you've used is fabulous!! :thmbsp:

And thanks for the tips!!

hehehe Slik is a cheap, entry level brand that is about as stable as Krakatoa was. Just my experience. Better to buy a better quality tripod such as those made by Manfrotto or Gitzo come to mind.

Dave

Sheesh, nothing like getting picked on for something I said 3 years ago. :smoke::D

Sliks may be cheap, but they do the trick if all you are doing is taking pictures of gear. My main point was they are usually better than the ones that say "camera/video tripod" on the leg.

I use a big Tilt-All I picked up for 7 bucks or so a few years back. If I want a lighter one I have a nice Hollywood Jr. Oldies but goodies.

Lol!!! I guess I prefer to buy quality from the outset, than cheap first, then get rid of it and then buy quality. Saves money in the long term ;-)

Dave

I have Slik from the 1970's and Bogen and ... The big studio pod will hold a camera dead still, but it weighs 20 lbs. The Slik is great for water shots (in the water) as it dries easily and the plastic leg clamps don't corrode much :)

I think two pieces of gear are important for out doors shots on the go - mono-pod and ball head. Sometimes you just can't set up a tripod. If you can't use a pod, use a piece of small rope/twine under your foot and pull up to tension. It'll take the vertical shake out - that's 1/2 the equation :)

I got a good deal buying a digital flash camera from epathchina web site. It came with a lot of features. Was only $40.00 delivered. Looks and works just like a high end sony without the logo. The one thing I like about it is the anti shake function. I also like the macro too.

A couple more tips.

Learn the Rule of Thirds. Live it.

Right before you are about to press the shutter button halve the distance to the subject.

The light is the subject. Not the subject.

Saw this and thought I would roll it around- many newcomers into the forum that might benefit.

Thanks Carl!

This is an excellent post Carl! Thanks for posting and/or reviving. One more thing I would add if it wasn't mentioned already... If your camera is capable... by all means shoot in RAW! You can do much more in RAW when it comes to tweaking your image than you'll ever be able to in jpeg and it's non destructive. You can always go back (as long as you save the Raw file) and re-adjust. Think of it in music terms... Raw would be closer to a Flac file where as jpeg is more mp3.

This is an excellent post Carl! Thanks for posting and/or reviving. One more thing I would add if it wasn't mentioned already... If your camera is capable... by all means shoot in RAW! You can do much more in RAW when it comes to tweaking your image than you'll ever be able to in jpeg and it's non destructive. You can always go back (as long as you save the Raw file) and re-adjust. Think of it in music terms... Raw would be closer to a Flac file where as jpeg is more mp3.

Good point, Michael.
A lot of cameras now, let you save in jpeg and raw at the same time.

Also - know your camera.

Today's cameras are extremely sophisticated, and even entry-level cameras (even point-n-shoots) have a ton of features that can really help you take better pictures. Take the time to go through your manual and be familiar with what your camera can and can't do.

Last edited:
Some things that have stood me in good stead over the years:

1) Bend your knees, (or crouch down, think about different vantage points)
2) Look up more
2a) Look behind you more
3) Edges and corners of the composition are very important
4) Wear comfortable shoes
5) Don't "spray and pray" it rarely works
6) Look at the things other don't
7) Great paintings are great for a reason, study them
8) When traveling take half the gear you think you will need
9) When on an assignment take twice the gear you think you will need
10) And, it's not the camera that makes a great photograph, it's you

And as to tripods, the best one is the one you have with you when you need one.

One lamp on the back left and natural filtered sunlight to the right. Click image for larger image.

YPUWgw24DAJ1OhpFgUinYvBBhLcia2MvGwUz62GfDRB5us6DIjuiendHjQ6yLFZ9A32zQl3wdLGeJ_wbULp8QByv4asozezzIkOEhYlS56bSuQB4E0RX8rPd_a50XDtoFNce9WtKsaAov6opa6s7K7zRoB4F2rOj5DU3Za7ouHlNUZknYM8c_9SOwCXZ6L_fopWNrdedL3khQ7BQch7M8dF3JfDTYLXLA1GBCLpqrd8xNeNtal2Q34TbSUSvk6bHolubLvTAA_0g6KNjy37NTCEKGka7qpKGkmXdtgNF1P21sYynq7SKQudiXcwEe-_hMSua_HvvURXk9-8LyJb5QsCs7fHil2cmvTogO15gzJsddWbkFe5zjLAAjbn8LaIAzJvSUQ6mc-uhNLv45qshUJBqh6te2143zwqhcsF_NiCi5rOUYgaHg5CRmAM_eAU1GDZd3-qorgo6DqNx12rNurDPakyvvVkM0FWCKJ0d8jhlEHffHvQJf6yIQ8qptuVW-YhPO334b-8wy9XAJ-RRoubRKh0gOknKLS58hhE17wWma6M5EVIlUVFAcaoq2A97n1azDeuZALzumv4zuENRerTYIFb1GHLcga-jxfQlIPoT_RHiDzOpcv88Oog7WuJXcbjzBxIjAEH3FuGqhfdtmVrD--IIEZg=w2000-h1073-no

Last edited:
Natural filtered sun light in the back and one lamp in front. Selective focus on the front of the receiver and defocusing the background by using different aperture settings. Glass for reflection. Click image for larger image.

501-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good advice. Gear shots are tough due to all the reflective surfaces. So keep in mind your reflection! Also, backgrounds are important to your images. Keep them clear and OOF if possible. BTW, did you snap that image for your avatar?

Back
Top Bottom