1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Photos from AKFest 2010

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2010' started by tmad40blue, May 1, 2010.

1. similost

similost Rockin and Rollin....

I got a special test drive on these speakers.. and WOW was a first thought, and hhhhmm.. OK was the secodn thought...

I walked into their room Saturday right before 6pm. THey were getting ready to wind down, but he asked if we would like to hear something on them. WELL HELL YES!!!

So he pulls out Led Zep, and plays Dazed and Confused on them at a really great volume... ... WOW... the bass was super clean and super tight.. The imaging was way over the top, and the cymbols were ultra clean and really crisp. The vocals I would have called OK though. Nothing outstanding about them.

The other thing about them was at points, it sounded like there might have been a freq range that wasn't quite there, but then again, this is a hotel room we are listening to them in. I would love to hear them in a room tuned for them. I also know that Zep was never the greatest mastered band, so that could be why they seemed a little thin in places to me too. My wife agreed on all these points. We were really impressed by the sound though.

They were running these speakers on a huge CAT tube amp. Talk about tube.. 16 of those beasts in there, and I have a feeling that pure class A had a lot to do with how great the speakers sonded on it..

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tubamark

Tubamark New Member

The question I asked the vendor was about the bass alignment - There are woofers on opposing Left-Right sides of each cabinet. I asked him if the alignment was Bipole (essentially omnidirectional, if XO below baffle step freq) or Dipole. [for anyone still thinking I'm nuts: A lateral dipole is possible - search Gradient Loudspeakers]

He said "look at it!", dipole was "impossible" and my "question is irrelevant". His body language and delivery was even more condemning than the words :thumbsdn: . Zero effort was made to clarify the question.

I guess I owe the vendor an apology: I was listening with my ears and brain, instead of with my eyes and wallet. . . . e'nuff "attitude" from me.

Sorry AK! - I 'didn't mean to drop a turd in the Keg, er--Forum. The Fest indeed was a good time, with (exception noted) good folks all around!:banana: I bought the biggest thing in the swap room:yes:, won a doorprize, and met some really cool people, including ones in my own backyard I didn't know. It was a good day!

-- Tubamark

3. Urizen

Urizen Lunatic Member

My experience with the "Dairy Queens" was very positive from a super friendly vendor with zero attitude. Go figure. :headscrat

Edit: FWIW, the gentleman who auditioned the system for me was not the one pictured above.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  4. similost

These speakers have huge field coil drivers in them, and the electronics inside them was pretty impressive.

The first day I heard them, I was really digging them. They sounded a lot like Altecs to me, only with the perfect mix of bass.

The second day though, they just didn't sound quite right to me. They seemed kind of muffled sounding.

I got to listen to War Pigs on them with plenty of volume vigorously applied. They the dynamics where there, they needed some more depth and highs..

Would I love to have these in my house and tuned right.. damn skippy. I could hear the potential.. would I call them worth that price to me? No, but as far as the looks of them, they were some really cool art work, and had sme over the top drivers in them. I saw pictures he had there of them being built, and I can understand the price.. these things were damn near solid chunks of wood..

5. Brian Walsh

Brian Walsh Active Member

It sounds like attitude on both sides.

6. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

I don't know, but I doubt many sales managers train their reps to tell potential buyers that ANY question is "irrelevant". Pissing off a potential buyer usually doesn't get the sale.

7. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

I was there when tuba got dissed. He was dissed & dismissed, no question. Being in sales myself, I was, um, surprised. I hereby leave the subject.

Pete

8. dnewma04

dnewma04 The Healer Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Actually, dipole wouldn't have worked, at all. You would have been listening in the null in the figure 8.

9. dnewma04

dnewma04 The Healer Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Absolutely agreed. It would have been much better to explain bipole vs dipole than to be an jerk about it.

10. ScofieldKjv

ScofieldKjv New Member

I was sitting right behind you when you asked the question, the guy in the wheelchair, and there was no doubt about their 'tude! In fact, I had already formed my opinion of the crew and just after you asked your question and they started the little dance around your question, I split. As I recall, you asked one guy, the guy in the picture, and he clearly didn't know and looked to another guy, a guy with an accent that was kind of hard to understand, and this guy said it was impossible... and that was about all I heard as I headed for the door.

There was another guy that asked what the cost of everything was and again, it was bounced off two of them, this time the same two guys but in reverse order, and there was no real answer, just some shrugs of the shoulders and he walked off; I guess if you have to ask...

11. similost

You also have to remember, a big point these guys were selling were their cables. Those things were beauties, but I also knew if I had to ask, I couldn't afford them.. as well as with a lot of the other gear at the show..

I can tell you they did give me the prices on a couple pieces.. The Esoteric CD player were a little over half the cost of the speakers, and that huge CAT amp on the floor had a price on it as a used piece of gear that I would seriously consider if I was looking for a fantastic amp, at a reasonable price considering what they go for new..

I just don't have a room that I could consider putting an amp that size in, and I'm just not that into my music to dump that kind of jack on an amp, HOWEVER, if my wife said I could buy that CAT amp, I'd probably be kicking myself in the ass for knowing I would probably end up having it, and not enjoying a vacation for two years..

12. Brian Walsh

Brian Walsh Active Member

Of course, and I would never do it. There are two sides to every story.

The whole thing may be irrelevant, since I don't know many people who would want speakers that look like that in their rooms.

13. x_25

x_25 Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...

You would have liked the D-10's he had last year. :yes:

I heard something around the 200k mark.

14. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

How about we get back to talking about the pics and other things from the fest. Dwelling on this will surely lead to no good.

15. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

That amp was 100% over the top!

Besides, there was a LOT of gear at the fest to talk about.

Cosmos's berrillium (sp?) horns running on keggers amps, for instance :) The Maggie 1.7s were pretty good too.

Pete

16. ScofieldKjv

ScofieldKjv New Member

The guy that asked suggested either 315k or 350k, I can't remember, and as I say, the guy just shrugged his shoulders, nodded his head a bit, made a strage face and walked away, rather odd.

I concur. I am not one to diss the system because I didn't like the people much, as I stated prior, I never got a real good listen nor able to sit in a good spot, but I did find the hosts a bit odd.

17. Tubamark

Tubamark New Member

As mentioned in my prev post, check out the Gradient Helsinki: http://www.gradient.fi/helsinki15/
    -- EDIT ---

Grumpy's right.

Thanks for the interest. I started a fresh thread: Forums --> Loudspeakers --> "Sideways Dipole".

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Addicted Member

Now this is what the fest is all about...

[​IMG]

19. dpastern

dpastern Well-Known Member

Not sure if someone else already mentioned this, but they are designed by the same guy who designed the B&W nautilus and also the matrix bracing system that B&W uses. A very smart guy apparently, and an excellent designer. There's a review of them in the January HiFi+ magazine.

That said, it doesn't excuse rudeness from the guys on the floor. The easiest way of dealing with that is to tell them - in front of everyone. Like "hey, excuse me, but why did you have to be so rude in your answer?". Embarrassment makes a good learning tool for people like that I've found.

Dave

20. dpastern

dpastern Well-Known Member

Yes, that is very true. Some *really* nice stuff. Would have been nice to be there though. We don't have this sort of thing in Ozstralia ;)

Dave