PHX CL: Empty console

So...

I bought this 1958 Ampex Signature Console...cabinet

Several amazing coincidences made it inevitable

Here is why I was intrigued with it
speaker arrows.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...it's amazing how many different variations there are on driver configurations for these 1958-1961(?) Ampex Signature consoles! I've never seen any documentation showing any options other than the Garrard 301 turntable for another $50. (!)

Are you quite convinced that this is original? All the details that I see suggest that it is (taped twisted-pair green/black wires / gauze over open back drivers / damping material mixture of glass wool and sand).

I'm confused by the picture with the crossover board in the middle... Where is the 15 inch driver mounted? You've annotated your picture your picture -- but is it rotated?

I'm interested in all the details -- including the model number and serial number.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob in San Diego

Very cool! Great snag!

SCORE!

My recent Ampex....had the Ampex 12" woofer and GE 401? tweeter.
Still have all the guts to mine. :)

If that's the mid...(with the square magnet)...where's the woofer? Looks like a 2 way to me...

Please remove the white cotton balls...and more pics!

Looks like your's is the 2 drawer model....mine only had 1 drawer.

Looks like your's is for the Combo Preamp/Tuner. Just the one slot for it.

I guess you could only get 1 drawer and separate tuner and preamp....or 2 drawers and a combo preamp/tuner...

index-1.jpg

I missed that. Never seen one of these set up for other than the separate preamp and tuner. This configuration doesn't show in any of the Ampex literature.

Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the grille covers off when you get there. The grilles are each held in place by four of the same bullet latches as used to latch the doors. You will need to release the lower two (or upper two) at the same time for each grille. You'll need a pair of thin rigid sheets -- something like a credit card. The latches are in a little less than 3 inches from the corners of the grilles.

Attachments

• Ampex Signature (Alt) Cabinet 1.jpg
    Ampex Signature (Alt) Cabinet 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Ampex Signature (Alt) Cabinet 2.jpg
    Ampex Signature (Alt) Cabinet 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Ampex Signature in Seattle 4.jpg
    Ampex Signature in Seattle 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Six Door Ampex Signature 2.jpg
    Six Door Ampex Signature 2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Signature Brochure pg1.jpg
    Signature Brochure pg1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 34
  • NJ Ampex Signature Trusonics.JPG
    NJ Ampex Signature Trusonics.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 40
  • Ampex Signature Components.jpg
    Ampex Signature Components.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Ampex Signature 15 Woofer 1.JPG
    Ampex Signature 15 Woofer 1.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 33
Glad to see AK finally caught up with this find

Someone pulled the electronics long ago and mounted a piece of walnut face plate (does not match) for some other piece of unworthy gear
I have broken the replacement face plate free and need to pull the mid door to remove it
Then there will be room for the pre-amp and tuner

I am convinced these drivers are original, the pictured side had the back removed to attach wires to the crossover so it had been disturbed
but I pulled all the screws on the other side and was greeted with pure fiberglass packing which looked totally factory installed

I will check on the release for the grill cloth, thanks for the hot tip
I will pull the drivers and crossovers to recap them

The fiberglass requires long sleeves and dust mask and its above 100 here

And I have all the components to mount and restore the console to AMPEX
plus a 301 to make it a super AMPEX Signature

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-ed-component-reconstruction-complete.712047/

Last edited:
Just I jumped the gun as usual....about the combo and separates idea....

Thanks for the pics.

Back
Top Bottom