Pic of restored C-20 cabinet

Bauhausler

Rational Subjectivist
All;
I just got this out of the closet and thought I'd post a pic of it. It's a C-20 with brass faceplate. I restored the cabinet, finishing it with 12 hand-rubbed coats of natural shellac. The pic doesn't show the 'flash' of the nice ribbon mahogany veneer. I've never used the unit, as it developed a noist phono channel immediately when I brought it up. I have another C-20 that I'll probably put in this case. Just wanted to show off my work on the wood. The knobs are around here somewhere...

I never knew Shellac gave such a nice shine. I've used Danish Oil in the past on some wood projects - maybe I should try Shellac.

Originally posted by Number 9
I never knew Shellac gave such a nice shine. I've used Danish Oil in the past on some wood projects - maybe I should try Shellac.

Shellac is a colossal pain. You have to thin it with isopropyl and put on many thin coats, sanding in between. The result, once rubbed out with pumice and linseed oil, is a deep waxy glow. It beats polyurethane all hollow. This is what mahogany should look like, but what a chore. On harder woods like oak and walnut I use linseed oil.

Actually that looks like what is called a French Polish which is done with shellac. I used to use shellac a lot, only problem is that it is not water resistant.

Rob

Great work Bauhausler, I love the way mahogany can get that inch deep texture look and your finishing brought out this affect beautifully. I think I got pretty close to this with the South American mahogany bases I built for my amps; I wet sanded in about 5 coats of Watco Danish oil followed by 4 passes or so of Goddard’s furniture polish paste wax - a lot of elbow grease and time but really fool proof and easy.

Back
Top Bottom