Pick one: AT150MLX, DL-301 MKII, OM40, 2M Blue

Garven

I'm currently running a 2M Black. While it's not bad, it doesn't handle surface noise very well and seems really particular about pressing quality as well (some LPs sound magical, others not so much). I'm thinking of alternate choices I could make all in roughly the $300 range. I have the following cartridge bodies already available: AT150MLX, OM Super, 2M Bronze/Black

Turntable/phono stage
  • Current: Pro-Ject Xpression II with 8.6 arm, upgraded with speedbox and acrylic platter
  • Future: RP6, Clearaudio Concept, SL1200, or even PLX-1000. No comments necessary from the Hanpinphobes :)
  • In both cases, running through a Lehmann Black Cube
Priorities
  • Good tracking of sibilants
  • Detailed sound but but balanced frequency response with solid bass, musical midrange, and clear highs
  • Low surface noise
Pick one
  • AT150MLX stylus
  • DL-301 MKII
  • OM40 stylus
  • 2M Blue stylus
    (I could go for the Bronze but it's close enough that I might as well stay with the Black).
  • Alternates (AT-F7 for example). I had an OC9MLII and found it a good tracker but a bit metallic and brash.

I haven't heard the 2M Bronze, but according to spec it has a 8/40 nude fine-line, a stylus shape Ortofon has been offering for ages - according to the spec, it's the same stylus profile that was used in VMS30FL. That cartridge I have owned, and I liked the stylus a lot - very unfussy for setup (as far as line contacts go), and not at all sensitive to surface noise, in fact quite the opposite. If it really is still the same diamond (or similar enough) then it might be what you are looking for.

For what it's worth, in my experience MCs tend to be more silent in the groove than most MMs, not really sure why that is. Might be better polish in the stones or lower effective mass or what ever, but that's my experience and all my MCs have been ellipticals, so it's not the stylus profile. Denon DL-301mkII or something else in the MC world might not be a bad idea, and at least you'd get to try something different.

I've been intriqued by the AT-F7 myself, but haven't heard one. Seems an attractive entry-level MC but .2x.7 stylus profile and your experience with the OC9 suggest it might not be for you.

Then again, if you already have the AT150MLX body (did you ever have a stylus for that and how did you like it?) a stylus for that one might be a good option, though not sure how dissimilar it would sound from 2M Black - on paper I'd say it would be a bit better with the boron cantilever etc. Haven't heard that one either, so I'm just shooting in the dark here :D

All 4 listed are very great contenders. KAB has a modified OM40 that I was VERY impressed with.
The 2M Blue i would say would sound near the sound of an OM40, the DL-301 would be more in comparison to the AT150MLX.

But If I had to choose, The AT150MLX in my opinion is the best of the 4, I actually prefer this over the DL-301mk2 & 2M Black which is another remarkable Cartridge.

I usually like a cartridge that sounds extremely close or identical to the original recording. the AT150MLX can achieve high frequencies well beyond what our ears can hear, but the other factor is how well the Deep low frequencies are imaged. Alot of newer songs today have beats with basslines constantly looping at 35hz~65hz with louder recordings. I find this cartridge the best suitable to play in those tough and abusive grooves.
Even classical music recordings, especially the re-issued ones where its recorded louder, the high frequencies come out of no where and goes right down to quiet parts then suprisingly crazy low freq, the AT cartridge can handle it.

Anyhow thats just my take on it, I like the Denon Cartridges ALOT too, its a tough call with your choices, but at the end, I would choose the 150MLX.
If you remembered the Signet Cartridges by AT, the 150mlx seems to bring back nostalgia, but clearly they kept up the same high quality engineering.

Denon DL 301 MK II. The Denon cartridges have a nice tonal balance, are good trackers, and express nuances and details well. Personally I would sooner go for the DL 304 II, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But that would be my pick over the others by a significant margin.

Regards
Mister Pig

I own both the AT150MLX and the Denon DL-301 mkII. They are both fine cartridges and have their own particular strengths. I will tell you that I purchased the AT150MLX after the Denon DL-301mkII. I tried very hard to love the AT150MLX, but the Denon won me over and provides a more natural tonal balance and a more"believable" soundstage. Therefore, the Denon DL-301 is my preference by a wide margin. Readers should keep in mind that the Denon DL-301mkII is a low-output moving coil (LOMC) cartridge and requires a special gain stage or step-up transformer that the AT150MLX does not require. Some receivers and/or integrated amplifiers may have a "MC" selector switch which is designed for using a LOMC cartridge. In my case, the loading of the built-in MC phono preamp in my receiver did not load the DL-301mkII optimally so I had to purchase an outboard phono preamp with adjustable impedance loading before getting acceptable performance. I say all this so that readers may understand there is a high probability that an outboard adjustable preamp will need to be purchased along with the DL-301mkII in order to get maximum benefit from this cartridge.

I have no experience with the others. I do have an OM10 and it has an overall nice balance but nothing remarkable. It is not unlike the Ortofon TM14 that came with my Technics SL-7 which I quickly dumped for a Shure V15LT back in the early '80s.

I would definitely get the Denon DL-301 MKII. When I was using that cartridge, I couldn't believe how quiet it was in the groove! Groove noise is very low! Ideal cartridge for used records, which my collection is mostly. I have an Audio Technica AT-440MLa also, the Denon is much quieter in the groove than that cartridge. The DL-301 MKII sounds the best loaded between 300-1K ohms. The Denon has a very nice warm & rich sound to it. Sounds very good with any music genre.

Back
Top Bottom