Picked up a Fisher 202 Futura at GW for $9.99 tonight!

Tarl Of Gor

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm playing Spyro Gyra's Breakout through my Pioneer CT-F1250 and a pair of JBL L56s and I can't believe how good this little receiver sounds. Needs the switches cleaned up but damn this thing is KEWL!

Fisher 202 was made in Japan by Hitachi under Avery Fisher's supervision. One of the last units made by the original company before it was sold in 1971 to Emerson Electric (of ceiling fan fame). Excellent sounding unit and superb phono stage and tuner. I owned the predecessor model, the 201 Futura. My first receiver which my mom bought used for me in 1980. Served me well for many years until a direct lightning hit took it. I still miss it!

I had one when I was younger which my Step-dad found with four Fisher speakers and two nice turntables (didn't keep the turntables and kick myself since one of them had a very heavy platter :( ) beside the road. About two years ago the audio output transistors gave up the ghost and I replaced them and the driver transistors, but never could get it working again :tears:. The tuner and preamp in the receiver still work though. What you can do for the tuning meter is take a couple green (or your favorite color) LEDs and connect them in series to replace the two meter lamps. Will add more color to the receiver. For the stereo indicator lamps if they burn out a couple red or white LEDs connected exactly like the bulbs connect will work nicely If those two LEDs do not work reverse the connections on the LED that does not light up.

I have one of those here somewhere. Very nice looking little receiver and sounds pretty darn good too! Mine has decided it likes to blow one of the output fuses after about 20 minutes of play.

Another note! Don't use lower than 8 ohm speaker loads with one of these old Fisher units. They don't like any impedance lower than 6 ohms. Otherwise they like to blow fuses or output transistors.

Here's the little beauty!

fisher3.jpg
fisher2.jpg

I used my Fisher 202 Futura Series receiver all the time with two Fisher 8 ohm speakers connected to each channel. Never had a problem cranking it loud. maybe I was just lucky? Mine had a partial wooden case as well actually more like a piece that covered some of the top to the perforated part of the metal cover and the sides of the receiver. I would recommend adding more capacitance to the main filter cap. It will help somewhat in keeping the power supply voltage more stable at higher volume levels. One thing I would recommend doing if you don't plan on using the speaker selector switch or headphones is take some 16 gauge wires and connect them from the positive speaker A terminals to where the speaker switch would normally connect to the output of the amp. Then take some 16 gauge wire from the negative speaker A terminals to ground. That way you will have betetr signal transfer from the amp to the speakers. I've never been a big fan of small solid wire for speaker wiring. Personally I want the same gauge of wire running from the amplifier's output to the speaker terminals on back of the amp as I have running from the amp to the speakers.

Last edited:
If you decide you want to keep that one, PM me, I have a sales brochure to go with it. Suitable for framing. Gratis.

Sounds like a contemporary for my Sherwood 7100A. That 202 has that wonderful Fisher look to it as well. I am picking up my 500T today. same classic look albeit earlier than this 202. Love me some Classic Fisher!

Just my opinion here, but this particular Fisher reminds me of the early Harmon Kardon line of receivers with Pioneer SX-x2x series knobs.

Me likey. :thmbsp:

Wish i could get mine going again :tears::tears::tears:. I just noticed that your receiver does not have the wood trim piece that completely covers the sides and covers the whole top panel except for the ventilation holes. Looks much better with that wood panel in place.

Back
Top Bottom