picked up a pair of Epicure model 3

jbrocious

Point of No Return
well, a nice find on craigslist landed me a pair of epicure model 3's. They are in good shape, and I just ordered a pair of surrounds for the 8" woofers. After I refoam them, I'll post up some pics and some listening impressions. I can say they are quite attractive and have REAL wood veneer! I will be giving them a nice sanding and maybe staining. One nice thing is that the binding posts are hidden underneath the speaker as they are on a small pedestal that allows them to be bottom ported.

details here: http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-3.htm

*updated* with pics

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Nice speakers! :music: :yes: :thmbsp:

If yours are like mine, that wood veneer will be thirsty for some oil, and will repay you for a nice drink (or four) of tung oil, but gleaming back at you with renewed depth, color and sheen! :D

Epicure made several speakers in that same series, smaller and larger, but all with the same shape, veneer and plastic ported/fluted base thing, and those woven-looking carbon fiber(?) cones They are quite nice speakers, judging from the two pairs I have owned (still have one) and others I've heard. The dome tweeters are sweet enough! :music: The surrounds tend to always be shot when you find them, though, from the pairs I've seen. Not extreme audiophile speakers, but very good ones that retain some value.

im definately excited, and I have the surrounds on order already. One of the dust caps is pushed in on the woofer, so I'll get that changed out also.

I may just be keeping these as the mains for my surround system, or if better suited for music they will go to my 2-channel setup.

too much fun!

i got the model 4's, sad note is the woofers are missing, and the tweeters are dead... i like the 3's. 4 are minis. one 8" and tweet, ported cab... same look!

I had the 5's. Not high-end stuff, but very, very nice looking and well built speakers...

Every single pair of these needs to be reformed. Defiantly a pretty speaker.

With a little work, absolutely beautiful. These speakers love to take a finish.

Last edited:
Got a neat little trick for pulling out the crushed dust cap without replacing it. I had to pop out a dome on a JBL tweeter, and used a piece of black electrical tape, gently adhering it along the dimple, then gently and slowly pulling it upward and off with both hands - voila! But if you're shimming during the refoam, then never mind.

I adore my little Model 5's - the previous owner refoamed them before I got them. I'm still kicking myself for not buying his Model 1's when I had the chance. I love the looks of this speaker series.

Back
Top Bottom