Picked up a Pioneer PL-41

xwarp

Swap meet find for 20 bucks. Needs cleaning, new belt and thrust bearing. Cabinet for it needs some work the cover is cracked. Tonearm is in good shape with the original headshell and I have access to a NOS head shell if I need.

Probably about as close to an Empire as I am going to get for now considering I don't ever spend market value for the stuff I get.

Maybe it'll give the Marantz 6370Q a run once I get it running.

Finding a decent belt drive to play with seems almost impossible anymore.

I got my 41a from _bay for around $260, it may seem like a lot, but it was in EX condition. I sent it to Stereorehab for a rebuild, I think it's my forever turntable.

I've been longing for an Empire, but never pulled the trigger on one because I just don't want to spend the money. This table will be my 1st belt drive. I've read a lot of good things about it and look forward to getting it running.

Do your research on the belt for this table. The proper belt will cost you as much or a little more than what you have invested already but most of the belts that supposedly work will throw the speed off. I can't remember where I purchased mine but it was the recommended belt and it runs at the proper speed.
I made my own bearing from a hunk of Delrin barstock, machined it on a lathe but it can be purchased fairly reasonable.
These are very high quality tables, you will enjoy it.

BillWojo

I've been longing for an Empire, but never pulled the trigger on one because I just don't want to spend the money. This table will be my 1st belt drive. I've read a lot of good things about it and look forward to getting it running.

The PL-41 is an awesome turntable. I had one for about 10 years and it was my main turntable. The only thing it needed was a new thrust bearing pad. Got it from an ebay vendor, "pat's" or something like that, for $15.00. The original thrust bearing pad was in pieces causing the spindle and platter to ride low and rub on the chassis.

It's worth the effort to remove the platter to make sure the thrust pad is intact so that the spindle doesn't ride on the bottom of the well.

Right. I replaced the thrust pad first thing. It was cracked into small pieces. Easy fix with the help of many posts here.

I just got a PL-41 also, great shape! All original...Will be my first venture into the rehabbing vintage sitting for years.

41 is easy to work on. Congrats. Check the bearing. Also the speed can be an issue. The correct belt is curcial.

I still have issues with the damping.

index.php
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/pl-41.16742/full

Made my own pad out of Delrun, Got a belt and original stylus, this table is great and I'm sure I will invest in a cartridge next.

Back
Top Bottom