Picked up a set of Infinity RS 1.5's today

VWGUY

Picked up a set of Infinity RS 1.5's today.

Wow from the first moment I heard them through the guys door:D. I did not know what I was getting myself into! From the pictures I have saw I thought that they were bookshelf speakers, none of the picture had any thing in them for a point of reference to size.

I got them from the original owner that bought them when he was sixteen in 1977-78ish. I always wanted a set of Infinity's with the Emit tweeter- If I had a buck for every set I missed by a buck on eBay these would be free!

I am so shocked by how much bass these speakers put out and I don't have near the 250 watts theses babies can take. Even before I read the specs I was certain that they were dipping into the near mid 30's easy. I've owned subs that don't go the low! LOL

I would say they are in fairly great shape- The base of the stands are rough and that is about it. All original surrounds in really great shape.

I want to share some pics and would like to hear from other owners past and present and their impression on these speakers.

The CD player is temporary while my mom is visiting it will be going soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 156
Nice !!! I own a pair of QB, and always wonder about the sound of a better woofer..

You don't need a sub woofer anymore !! (my friends say the same when come to my home, that their subs don't have the nice and clean bass of an Infinity woofer...)

These were my first pair of "Real" speakers that I purchased with my first Income Tax check. Awesome speakers for sure.

Very nice catch - and as Nuke_Yuler said, "Welcome to the club!" :thmbsp:

If you don't know already, you'll soon find out that Infinity speakers with Watkins woofers and EMIT tweeters can be seriously addictive.

nice find... ENJOY... look at my moniker and it says it all...

currently running three pairs of Kappa 9's and two sets of RSIb's... yes, EMITs are addictive...

Even if he dropped in just to weasel information, at least he's providing a good opportunity for someone to have them and give them the respect they're due.

I'll say again in respect for the RS 1.5: This model is a unique combination of drivers that work very well together. EMIT, common poly mid, and a 12" Watkins woofer. It's a very good example of the classic timbre that made Infinity famous in the late 70s. They are powerful, dynamic speakers when run with a proper big amplifier. They are more dynamic than the 6 and 8 Kappas I own because of the cone mid and Watkins woofer. That alone says a lot for them. Big sounding speakers in somewhat smaller packages relative to many of Infinity's larger classic models. IMO they should be considered some of the more desirable Infinity speakers that can usually be obtained for a reasonable price. Handsome box speakers with a very high quality oak veneer and rounded edges on the sides and grill. There is nothing cheap or budget about them. They even come with the large, heavy solid brass clip logos that were only available on the 1.5, 2.5, and 4.5.

Again, one thing to watch for is big screw holes in the lower sides from the ridiculous dog ear panel stands that many of the RS 1.5 got. ANY non destructive speaker stand would have been a better option...

RS1.5_dogears_r3.jpg

Original image is not mine. (Hell, I would have never done that to mine.)

Last edited:
I have two pairs that i bought from the original owner. Running all four with with refurmbished SAE gear. They sound really great ! Put a few hundred watts of clean power to them and set back and enjoy.

I have RSM's and for quite a while I REALLY wanted a pair of 1.5's.
Pretty sure I saw a revision list (crossover components?) where there were several (many?) revisions?
That kind of scared me as I thought there must be some reason they keep changing them, and also because if I found a pair, no telling which version they would be.
Can anyone confirm or deny a rather lengthy revision list?

EDIT---it was at Klaus' site.
Am I reading it wrong or is A-F and G&H 8 different revisions?
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1978-klein/index-Reference-klein.htm

I have two pairs that i bought from the original owner. Running all four with with refurmbished SAE gear. They sound really great ! Put a few hundred watts of clean power to them and set back and enjoy.

Just curious, what SAE gear are you running?

Back
Top Bottom