Picked up a SPEC-2

Rob_Feature

Rob Feature
I picked up a SPEC-2 for really cheap but it's got issues. I power it on and I get the protect light and one meter up (it's also missing a speaker jack, but that's an easy fix).

Honestly I probably won't keep this either way. The question is whether I just sell it as-is or whether I fix it up then sell it for a lot more :)

The question is about my skills to actually get it working. I've heard these are hard to work on and I don't want to do a crappy job just to 'make it work'. I've recapped and cleaned up lots of lesser Pioneers without many issues. Should I even dive into this or should I just sell it as-is?

Or (maybe more reasonable) do I take it to the local guru shop in town and have them fix it (don't know what they'd charge...)? I don't want to sink in a lot more money, but if it triples the value, I probably should.

If you're interested, feel free to shoot me an offer on it...

Anyway, thoughts?

I saw that one on CL, looked like a good deal.

It shouldn't be expensive to fix yourself, but once you drop it off at a shop for repairs I doubt you'll flip it for a profit. Part of why I didn't jump on it, ... I don't really want a SPEC-2. It is my opinion that it was a good deal for a keeper, or for someone who can fix it himself, otherwise just okay.

Yeah, you see my dilemma then. I'm not really to excited to work on this one myself, and I'm certainly not excited to drop $400 in repairs to hopefully flip it for a little bit more....

Luckily, the AK community is coming thru for me: I got a few PMs from members and it looks like it may be sold...just trying to finalize things.

I appreciate everyone's support!...I've only gotten nasty emails from CL so far, so AK is a nice bit of fresh air :)

You want our advice on how you can make the most money, that's great. "Flip it as is for more money to a fellow AK'er or spend a bit of money on it and grab even more money". :idea:

Anyway, you are not allowed to sell gear here, that's for contributing members in the member's area ;)

I'm currently doing an M-77 ( Japan vers spec -2 ) ... The VERY FIRST THING PRIOR TO FIRE UP for these ol goats.... remove the multi pin connectors CAREFULLY on the main amp boards ( 3 per channel, 2 on bottom, 1 on top ) and see if the pins are BLACK with tarnish. If YES Clean em.Once you complete that report back. PS do NOT use Tarnex to clean the pins. ALSO CAREFULLY check the back of the PCB that the 2 Grey 20 ohm resistors are mounted on... mine had COOKED leaving HUGH CRACKS in the PCB and 8 busted traces.....

In the few that I've repaired the NEC TO-220 transistors on the small heat sinks always show leaky on my analyzer. Be careful of the STV diodes attached to the heatsinks, if you stare at them too long the leads will fall off.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom