Picked up a very nice Technics SL-1900

Enjoy that table. It definitely punches above its weight! Is the cueing mechanism OK? that is probably the most common issue with this turntable.
Cueing is perfect. So far, not a thing wrong. I'm still amazed at the condition. A very well taken care of table. Not a scratch.

i was going to guess its an AT12sa. and it was. a really great cart. i found one on an SL3200 i bought last fall with a collapsed suspension, so i found a NOS stylus on ebay, and its a stunner. the stylus was $90; intact NOS AT12sas go for several hundos. that's a great find you made there.

i was going to guess its an AT12sa. and it was. a really great cart. i found one on an SL3200 i bought last fall with a collapsed suspension, so i found a NOS stylus on ebay, and its a stunner. the stylus was $90; intact NOS AT12sas go for several hundos. that's a great find you made there.

Thanks and GULP! Lots of cash for that styli, if another legit NOS can be found! When I was researching this cart last night, I came across a thread somewhere that had numerous comments regarding supposed NOS styli, that were in fact not.
Down the road I plan to put an MC cart on this TT. This summer I got a Mitch Cotter Step up Transformer at a yard sale that I'm really excited to try out and compare to MM carts.

Thanks for the info though.The gent I bought the TT from is sending me the replacement styli he purchased, not sure what it is yet.

In the big picture that is not a lot of money for that stylus, the AT12sa is a great cartridge. If you replace the entire cartridge you won't come close to its performance for $90. I picked up a similar AT cartridge on a TT purchase (for $18 total plus shipping!) and spent over $80 on a genuine replacement stylus, it is now one of my favorite cartridges in my rotation.

In the big picture that is not a lot of money for that stylus, the AT12sa is a great cartridge. If you replace the entire cartridge you won't come close to its performance for $90. I picked up a similar AT cartridge on a TT purchase (for $18 total plus shipping!) and spent over $80 on a genuine replacement stylus, it is now one of my favorite cartridges in my rotation.

Yeah, I'm sure your right. Any thoughts on how this compares to my Ortofon 2m Red?

Yeah, I'm sure your right. Any thoughts on how this compares to my Ortofon 2m Red?
I've not heard the Red or any other 2M series cartridge, so my comparison would be to cartridges at that price point, which may or not be valid. I have a Grado Green which is around that price point, and to my ears my AT PRO13 (with genuine replacement stylus) has just a bit more top end but both sound very good to my tin ears. But, that is a nude elliptical, not a Shibata like the AT12sa. The Shibata will pull more detail from the grooves than the $90-$120 cartridges, which depending on the record, can be either a good or bad thing.

It's supposed to dampen vibration. I figured it was worth a try. I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes.

This is it mounted to a non factory headshell.

That cartridge is a Shure V15V-MR. as in V15 Type 5. Look on the right side of the cartridge looking at it from the front and you should see is small white letters Shure V15V-MR That's "the" top of the line Shure cartridge and is worth hundreds of dollars if working properly. That a cartridge is amazing for clarity and is considered by many to be one of the best cartridges ever made. How does is sound to you? It is recommended that your run it with the brush down and track it at 1.5 grams. I use mine on a Technics SL-1650. It is very appropriate for the SL-1900 as well. You scored today big time. Just curious where you found it and how much you paid.

That cartridge is a Shure V15V-MR. as in V15 Type 5. Look on the right side of the cartridge looking at it from the front and you should see is small white letters Shure V15V-MR That's "the" top of the line Shure cartridge and is worth hundreds of dollars if working properly. That a cartridge is amazing for clarity and is considered by many to be one of the best cartridges ever made. How does is sound to you? It is recommended that your run it with the brush down and track it at 1.5 grams. I use mine on a Technics SL-1650. It is very appropriate for the SL-1900 as well. You scored today big time. Just curious where you found it and how much you paid.

I just checked fleabay and you are right! That Sure cart is worth some coin!

Stunning condition, great score.
Thanks Bootbox!
Frankenfest gatherings are lots of fun and I bring gear to demo. I usually don't buy much, but this and one other TT were together for sale and I immediately asked if it was working, tested it with the system I brought, and bought it. I'm very happy with it and sounds great with the Ortofon Red on it. The replacement styli is on it's way, so it will be interesting to compare the Red and AT carts.

Glenn

I paid 199.00 for the turntable. It is in great shape. There are no other markings on the cart though.... After a little more research it does have the silver shure on the bronze back which my research says it the MR version .

Turn table was found at a local thrift store that is big into its music and records especially. They say all their turn tables are gone through by a tech not in house.

Last edited:
I've been listening to more vinyl lately, and put the Denon DL103 MC on it. I was quite amazed at the improvement over the Ortofon 2M red I had been using.
The Denon brings out so much more detail, more clarity and depth, fuller bass, quite amazing. The table and cart combination is very good in my system.
The problem now is I'm looking at some higher priced carts like the Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III, and Sumiko Blue Point 2. Are these really that much better to justify their cost, or will the improvements be minimal at best?
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom