Picked up an interesting walnut Yamaha rack system

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by audiodogster, Jan 30, 2018.

1. audiodogster

audiodogster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just picked this up today, got it in an online auction for $110. It's a Yamaha rack system from 1982 including a tuner (T-20), phono (P-20), cassette deck (K-20), and integrated amplifier (A-20). I'm not sure about the other components, but the P-20 is a slightly modified P-550 servo direct drive turntable (fairly decent mid-range table, slotted below the P-750/P-751 in the P-line), I assume everything else is similar level, slightly modified pieces. The specs for the integrated amplifier say 75wpc. The speakers are NS-A99 and though they need to be refoamed, they sound quite nice. They have an interesting design as each driver is recessed for horn-loading I guess. The speakers and cabinet have a very nice quality real walnut veneer, the cabinet has veneer inside and out. The speakers are made to match the cabinet. Everything is heavily built. I don't think this set was used much at all of ever except for the cassette deck. The cartridge on the turntable still had the protective cap on it and besides some dust, everything is minty. There were some interesting cassettes in the lot, including several ones from Ford for whatever reason.

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KostasP, drumbum, Mr. Yamaha and 3 others like this.
  2. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Nice score. Kudos!!

3. audiodogster

Once I got into a recording I knew well, I discovered these speakers aren't sounding too great on the upper end. Could be they just aren't the best quality, but I'm going to recap them and refoam them to see if that changes anything. They are almost 40 years old so might make sense.

4. audiodogster

Nope, definitely the cartridge or phono preamp. Switched to another source and they sounded fine.

5. audiotemp

audiotemp Active Member

Very interesting rack and thanks for posting your pictures! I have an A-20 amp and T-20 tuner but have never seen the speakers or that rack. I'd be interesting in knowing more specs if you have them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

That is really nice

7. DanSolo

DanSolo New Member

Oh . . . what happened to the pics?

8. mstrane21

mstrane21 Well-Known Member

I have that turntable, and I like it a lot

9. audiodogster