Picked Up an MR78 Last Weekend

Your MR-78 should sound great and pull in anything you want within reason. I hope you enjoy the Mac forum. We try to be helpful here. I just wish we had decent FM here in the sticks. I live in a narrow canyon so FM is limited to local stations which are all classic rock or country where they believe only 75 songs were recorded in either genre. My MR-77 picks up the local stations but due to the location that's all I get so I seldom use.

The MR78 is an excellent tuner, mine has been a great performer for the last 6 or so years I have had it, pulling in stations only other tuners can dream of!!
Congrats, make sure the tantalum caps have been replaced in the power supply....if they haven't I would highly recommend you do that...

Your MR-78 should sound great and pull in anything you want within reason. I hope you enjoy the Mac forum. We try to be helpful here. I just wish we had decent FM here in the sticks. I live in a narrow canyon so FM is limited to local stations which are all classic rock or country where they believe only 75 songs were recorded in either genre. My MR-77 picks up the local stations but due to the location that's all I get so I seldom use.
Thanks Mike. I'm near Charlotte NC, so there are a few good FM stations around. But I hear you on the Classic Rock and Country stations that repeats a short playlist ad nauseam. I haven't yet started trying to pull in some of the smaller stations associated with the many universities in the state. Figure I'll need a better antennae than the silly little flat one that hangs on the wall to do that. That's next. Lots of info on the web about on antennaes. I'm definitely a newb on that stuff that's what, 50 year old technology!

The MR78 is an excellent tuner, mine has been a great performer for the last 6 or so years I have had it, pulling in stations only other tuners can dream of!!
Congrats, make sure the tantalum caps have been replaced in the power supply....if they haven't I would highly recommend you do that...
Thanks Kevzep, It was serviced by the gentleman I bought it from who happens to also be a certified Mcintosh tech. He actually worked for Mcintosh many years ago and the MR78 was his personal tuner. I don't believe he changed any caps, but he did do realignment and overall cleaning, etc. But. yes, that stuff gets old and fails at some point. Can I ask what antennae you use to "pull in" those stations?

WXRC for Classic Rock and for me, very little else, except for WNSC out of Rock Hill when they play their Jazz programs for a couple of hours on Saturday night. (But something is seriously wrong with the FR of their signal. It's very compressed and rolled off on top and they refuse to do anything about it.) WFDD in W-S used to be GREAT until they dropped (and Jim Wilke quit doing) Jazz After Hours. Saturday mornings are okay for NPR, but I have to admit that I do less taping/listening off the air than I ever have. I restored my MR-78 myself and its performance is terrific, but I'd like to compare my experiences with that restoration with somebody who has a lot of experience with Mac Tuners of many models. Could you please PM the name of the person from whom you bought yours? TIA, and congrats! Welcome to AK...

Thanks Kevzep, It was serviced by the gentleman I bought it from who happens to also be a certified Mcintosh tech. He actually worked for Mcintosh many years ago and the MR78 was his personal tuner. I don't believe he changed any caps, but he did do realignment and overall cleaning, etc. But. yes, that stuff gets old and fails at some point. Can I ask what antennae you use to "pull in" those stations?
Well thats great, nothing to worry about there then, except to enjoy...perfect!!
I have an outdoor 5 element antenna, can't remember the specs, but its got a good amount of gain for what I need...

WXRC for Classic Rock and for me, very little else, except for WNSC out of Rock Hill when they play their Jazz programs for a couple of hours on Saturday night. (But something is seriously wrong with the FR of their signal. It's very compressed and rolled off on top and they refuse to do anything about it.) WFDD in W-S used to be GREAT until they dropped (and Jim Wilke quit doing) Jazz After Hours. Saturday mornings are okay for NPR, but I have to admit that I do less taping/listening off the air than I ever have. I restored my MR-78 myself and its performance is terrific, but I'd like to compare my experiences with that restoration with somebody who has a lot of experience with Mac Tuners of many models. Could you please PM the name of the person from whom you bought yours? TIA, and congrats! Welcome to AK...
thankyou Ricktptman. Assuming WXRC is Charlotte and I believe that is the classical station I've tuned into. Where is WNSC on the dial. Be happy to send you the name of the Mcintosh tech as soon as I figure out how to send you the email.

WXRC's transmitter is in Hickory, but it's part of the Charlotte Metro market from a Nielson standpoint, at least as I've read it. (And as they advertise it.) WNSC is 88.9Mhz. I've written the SC Public Radio "honcho" and he's one of those guys who says "I have a Bose in my Lexus and I can't hear anything", so I just had to give up hope. All it takes is waiting until a program is on WFAE (they apparently retreat to Mono every time there's a funding crisis in Washington) in Stereo (or WFDD in Winston, 88.5, they broadcast Stereo 24/7) and then switch between them. This is an issue about which I can't be all that sanguine. I spent a LOT of time learning to service and restore vintage tuners, and at this point in time, where I live (Terrestrial OTA) there's less to bother setting tape machines (or tuners) up for than there ever has been. (Yes, I know there's the Internet. I recently bought a Lynx Hilo in order to take advantage of it.) When I was a kid, I started out with one of those tube "furniture-ey" RCA cabinet models (it belonged to my parents) and clawed my way up to a lowly SX-680. I heard WFAE (back then it was "Fine Arts Education") sign on. I remember hearing (in the early '80's) WDAV (89.9Mhz) allowing (maybe not, now that I think about it) student DJ's to play "Stairway To Heaven" on Sunday nights just before their signoff. It wouldn't have been THAT memorable, except the DJ wasn't monitoring and he/she had the TT on 16 2/3RPM, which made it even more hilarious than it would've been otherwise. WDAV, while a Classical stalwart, has become our resident Blue Haired Widow "any flavor as long as it's "Pachelbel's greatest Hit" station. I can remember hearing things like Vaughan Williams 4th, 7th, and Malcolm Arnold's Symphony for Brass all within the same week. (During the DAY!) Lastly, I remember hearing "Calvin" (I think his name was Walker, I met him once at SCMS out on S. Blvd.) play "all that Jazz" on Sunday nights on WROQ (95.1Mhz-RIP). We are a LONG way from those times. I'd have appreciated them more if I'd have known how momentary they'd be. Cheers!

Last edited:
Can I ask what antennae you use to "pull in" those stations?
Congrats on your purchase and welcome. You will not be disappointed with that tuner.
Regarding antenna selection, I use a 1/2 wave dipole mounted in my 3rd floor attic with outstanding results. I am in a city environment with really no issues with multi path. I don’t remember the vendor I purchased from but I’m pretty certain it was from one of the advertisers on this forum. It’s a very common item, any type of search should give you many options.
Good luck.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome. You will not be disappointed with that tuner.
Regarding antenna selection, I use a 1/2 wave dipole mounted in my 3rd floor attic with outstanding results. I am in a city environment with really no issues with multi path. I don’t remember the vendor I purchased from but I’m pretty certain it was from one of the advertisers on this forum. It’s a very common item, any type of search should give you many options.
Good luck.
Thank you. I will check it out. I'm kind of limited right now with what I can pull in with the 3 dollar flat antennae.

WXRC's transmitter is in Hickory, but it's part of the Charlotte Metro market from a Nielson standpoint, at least as I've read it. (And as they advertise it.) WNSC is 88.9Mhz. I've written the USC Radio "honcho" and he's one of those guys who says "I have a Bose in my Lexus and I can't hear anything", so I just had to give up hope. All it takes is waiting until a program is on WFAE (they apparently retreat to Mono every time there's a funding crisis in Washington) in Stereo (or WFDD in Winston, 88.5, they broadcast Stereo 24/7) and then switch between them. This is an issue about which I can't be all that sanguine. I spent a LOT of time learning to service and restore vintage tuners, and at this point in time, where I live (Terrestrial OTA) there's less to bother setting tape machines (or tuners) up for than there ever has been. (Yes, I know there's the Internet. I recently bought a Hilo Lynx in order to take advantage of it.) When I was a kid, I started out with one of those tube "furniture-ey" RCA cabinet models (it belonged to my parents) and clawed my way up to a lowly SX-680. I heard WFAE (back then it was "Fine Arts Education") sign on. I remember hearing (in the early '80's) WDAV (89.9Mhz) allowing (maybe not, now that I think about it) student DJ's to play "Stairway To Heaven" on Sunday nights just before their signoff. It wouldn't have been THAT memorable, except the DJ wasn't monitoring and he/she had the TT on 16 2/3RPM, which made it even more hilarious than it would've been otherwise. WDAV, while a Classical stalwart, has become our resident Blue Haired Widow "any flavor as long as it's "Pachelbel's greatest Hit" station. I can remember hearing things like Vaughan Williams 4th, 7th, and Malcolm Arnold's Symphony for Brass all within the same week. (During the DAY!) Lastly, I remember hearing "Calvin" (I think his name was Walker, I met him once at SCMS out on S. Blvd.) play "all that Jazz" on Sunday nights. We are a LONG way from those times. I'd have appreciated them more if I'd have known how momentary they'd be. Cheers!
I remember the first FM stereo I ever heard. My father bought one of those RCA coffee tables with a Garrard turntable and an FM tuner in it. I thought is was awesome! He liked to listen to jazz stations and I recall there were no commercials. Not like today as you have pointed out. Thanks for the FM station info. Gives me something to aim for. But I really need to get a real antennae. I guess one that can be rotated.

On the lesser, more insulated forums, this discussion always attracts polarized opinions. The best (money no object) "in-room" antenna I've found is the (entirely overpriced) Magnum Dynalab ST-2. I have found a "mobile antenna" alternative, but I don't have the link handy at the moment. It's essentially 95% the same (tall, whip) antenna, that's anodized black. It cost me about $38USD ea. (for three) that I use in rooms that don't have a rooftop antenna feed. The rooftop option is the solution that this particular tuner deserves. Mine's on one of those 60" whips and it does a "good" job but isn't what that last IF bandwidth setting really needs in order for it to "do" its thing. My reference Tuners are Pioneer TX-9500 II's, a TX-9800 and a couple of F-93's. I don't extoll the virtues of the F-93 anymore because after I started running my yap about them, they inflated to the point I won't afford them anymore. But if you happen across examples of either, like the 78 you found, I recommend them all. They were all produced in greater numbers than the Macs, but that doesn't make them lesser tuners. Enjoy what you have on hand. It's a fine tuner! (BTW, the runner up for aftermarket antennae is always well-placed copper wire.)

Last edited:
Here is a link to unit unit I use. The company I purchased from, FM DX antenna no longer has a website, but this one here is a comparable if not same unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Outdoor-Vertical-Reception-88-108/dp/B000F477AC

That antenna is basically a vertical dipole. It would need some kind of `loading´ to make it broadband (88-180 MHz) because dipoles are inherently narrow banded. In the theoretical case, it will have a gain of 2.15 dB and the pattern will be circular in azimuth, with a broadside lobe in elevation.
L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

In other words, it's an `omni´ which means there's `gain´ at all azimuth angles of 2.15 dB. Gain at angles approaching zenith and the ground will diminish to a `NULL´.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_gain

It would be ok for urban areas with relatively close stations across the stin every, or various directions. A fringe or DX antenna it is not, but a good choice and easy to install... well relatively speaking that is. :thumbsup:

The MR78 is an excellent tuner that would do well in or near cities, and for distant stations across the state line using a Yagi (beam) antenna on rotator.

-Greg

Last edited:
That antenna is basically a vertical dipole. It would need some kind of `loading´ to make it broadband (88-180 MHz) because dipoles are inherently narrow banded. In the theoretical case, it will have a gain of 2.15 dB and the pattern will be circular in azimuth, with a broadside lobe in elevation.
L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

In other words, it's an `omni´ which means there's `gain´ at all azimuth angles of 2.15 dB. Gain at angles approaching zenith and the ground will diminish to a `NULL´.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_gain

It would be ok for urban areas with relatively close stations across the stin every, or various directions. A fringe or DX antenna it is not, but a good choice and easy to install... well relatively speaking that is. :thumbsup:

The MR78 is an excellent tuner that would do well in or near cities, and for distant stations across the state line using a Yagi (beam) antenna on rotator.

-Greg
Thanks for the information Greg. I can see I'm pretty much over my skis on this. I don't have a very good grasp of electronics. I'm going to have to find an online course to get up to speed. I do have a place in the attic for an antennae. The HOA authorities would frown on any rooftop gear. But I would like to try to pull in some more distant station. Thanks for the links! I like reading about this stuff!

Back
Top Bottom