1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Picked up an old Garrard TT. Anyone know it?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by djnagle, Jun 14, 2018.

1. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Here is the only pic i have now. 00L0L_bih7QOQV7KO_1200x900.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ArDrakho

ArDrakho AK Subscriber Subscriber

Howdy, neighbor!! I saw that advertisement on Craigslist and I had first dibs on the entire console. I passed up getting the Fisher 600 and the Garrard AT6. Also, I never heard of the Lorantz 12-inch speakers. The CL lister stated that the Garrard TT was a Garrard AT6. Checkout https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/at6.shtml. After looking things up...I decided to wait for another opportunity--though I was sorely tempted.

It has four speeds: 16.66, 33.33, 45 and 78 rpm...so it's very interesting. I bet it is an interesting piece...hope it performs well.

3. ArDrakho

Here's a video I found that shows one in action:

4. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Hey Ar. Im down in ABQ. this will make a great vintage system when i go through it. The Lorenz coax speakers are high end from the 60s in Germany.

ArDrakho likes this.
  5. ArDrakho

Hahaha...that explains why I could not find anything about the speakers--the person misspelt the name. ;)

6. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Between the speakers, Fisher tube amp, and Garrard with a good cart, i am looking forward to spending time in front of it.

ArDrakho likes this.

7. ArDrakho

Well, when you have it all cleaned, updated, and set up...love to hear it. Have fun!!

8. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

A bunch of us get together monthly here in ABQ and elsewhere across the state. Do you do Facebook?

9. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

10. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I was gonna say that it looks like something in the AT6 family. There are a bunch of them, all basically similar except for motor and tonearm. The AT6 is at the higher end of the range. It has the 4 pole motor and the arm with an adjustable counterweight. I don't think that one has antiskate, but if it has a little metal thing at the base of the arm that rides on a pin, thats what it is. I may be thinking of the AT-60 on that one.

These have the usual problems with sticky grease and hard rubber idler wheels. Not a hard refresh, and when working its a decent changer. Not amazing, but certainly not all that bad. 2-5 gram conical will perform quite happily in there.

11. ArDrakho

12. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

So this tt is in great shape. It has a Shure M3D cart. Is the cart any good?

13. revox-b77

revox-b77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Shure M3D is a great cartridge and has a cult following.

14. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Cool. Ill post pix tomorrow. The plinth was made in Guam at the end of WW2 by a local woodworker and is very elegant.