Picked up some Chapman speakers this weekend.

I just started getting into the world of audio equipment at the beginning of the year. I picked up an SX-7730 on BT in February and shortly after added a pair of KG4s and a Dual 1019 from Craigslist. Like everyone else I'm constantly searching for cool, affordable, gear to upgrade my little setup. For the last month or so I was watching a pair of "earlier Chapman conventional three way bass reflex speakers" on CL but a) they were on Vashon Island and that seemed super inconvenient (disregarding the fact that I drove all the way to Mt. Vernon for the receiver) and b) I couldn't find any Chapman speakers like them online. Eventually I emailed the seller asking which model number they were and if SCJ had done the upgrades as I understand he's fairly hands on wrt updating his old speakers. Turns out the upgrades were done by some guy named Will Jennings (who I'd never heard of) which kind of dampened my enthusiasm a bit. I considered letting it go but, bored at work, I googled him and found the Will Jennings Audio Design/Watt Noise facebook page and, after scrolling through and seeing the beautiful speakers he makes, I saw this five year old photo album documenting the restoration of the speakers. I immediately emailed the seller back and confirmed my interest.

Yesterday morning I caught the 7:30 ferry; it was early enough that I think I may have been the only one to bother getting out of the car. I decided to go up top and ride across the sound on the deck. The air was cool but not cold and as I stood at the railing there wasn't even a breeze from the movement of the ship. Beautiful morning.

The gentleman and his wife couldn't have been nicer, their property was beautifully maintained, and the speakers were hooked up and already playing when we went out to the garage. They sounded amazing. Part of me wanted to throw the speakers on my back and run home with them before he changed his mind and part of me wanted to hang out in the garage and shoot the shit with him all morning. Honestly, I could have stayed there all day but I felt like I'm just some random CL buyer to this guy and should probably make myself scarce so he can get about his day. Anyway, we talked for a bit about a JBL speaker he's looking for (I'd seen that someone here has the match and had already been put in contact with him; I hope they can work it out) and I got to see the other absolutely beautiful work that Sir.Byrd has done for him over the years. What a small world. It was a lovely experience.

I was back home before 10am and haven't left the house except for a quick trip to BestBuy to pick up a Chromecast Audio dongle. Yard work can wait.

chapman.jpg

Nice story. Chapman seems like a nice guy. I had one short visit with him at RMAF a couple years ago. His speakers sounded great. I've watched the CL ad you mention for some time. Glad someone that will enjoy has purchased them.
John

Never heard of Chapman. They sure look huge. Looks like a Philips mid. I have a brother who lives on Vashon Island. Love the black face receiver I had forgotten about those which one is it?

I don't believe you can go wrong on either of the people who have had their fingers in those speakers from everything I've heard and read. I have T7's and B250's. The B250's are more akin to yours with the philips tweeter and the Kef B110 midrange.

Do you know what crossover mods will did? Or just update the aging components. Mine are a similar vintage, I called Stuart who said leave them be.

I believe it was mostly rehabbing the boxes (though I could be wrong). There was obviously a lot of work done to them. The are Heavy.
I saved the pics from the (now defunct) FB page. They're Will's photos so they'll vanish if he objects:

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 37
Cool, i've toyed with the idea of stripping the viynl but there not that bad. Despite having t-7's I still want to try one of the smaller 3 ways out some day.

Did he have an pics of the crossover, and if you don't mind can you post them please?

Since I posted this I've swapped the Dual out (to save for my GE console) for a Philips 312 and later an Empire 598.
This week I moved the 7730 to a shelf in the garage with the Philips tt and KG4s to make room for some new Dennis Had Inspire gear.
Baby's first tube gear. They sound great. Just need to find a phono stage and I can cool my jets for a minute. With any luck, maybe some Tannoys somewhere down the line. Not bad for three years of scrimping and upgrading.

2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom