Picked yet another pair of speakers - Polk Monitor 7

Krosya

Thats right - this is a disease, - as much as I try to not buy new speakers, they just seem to find me. A couple of weekends ago, I spotted these on a local CL. At first I passed, but later in a day I saw that they are still there, so I thought I give them a new home. Plus I never had Polks af any kind or vintage and these are the ones that seem to be the favorites of many, I told my wife - I have to try these - price was just too good to pass. And off I went. A very pleasant older gentleman was selling these and he was the original owner. Speakers are in perfect condition - not a mark on them! All drivers work. I only this weekend had a chance to hook them up and what can I say? - I'm pleasantly surprised. They seem to be the speakers that sound good with many different kinds of music. I was not sure if I would like their passive woofer (yet I'm very happy with the KG-4's passive radiator), but it seems to do a good job. For now (at least) these took place of my Advent Heritage Speakers and I can say - I'm not in a hurry to return the Advents to this setup. Listening to the Savoy Brown on these Polks right now (played The Who before that) - and loving it!

I read a lot of posts about re-capping these as well as some other updates, but I'm not in a hurry to open them up just yet. They sound good as-is. Plus I have never tried to do a re-cap, so dont want to mess things up. Will see what future will bring, but for now - they are playing as they are:

Very nice! Good times experiencing speakers from the icons of the audio industry. Polk did a great job pairing the 6.5" woofer with the passive.

You have the 7C with the infamous SL2000 tweeter. All hope is not lost though. Polk sells a replacement, the RD-0194, which is a vastly superior tweeter.

The SL2000 tweeter is the one to have. It's also the tweeter which put Polk on the map.
Polk Audio themselves has apologized to the world at large for their acknowledged blunder and offers a redesigned and corrected tweeter to replace the SL2000 abomination and raise your speaker to the performance level it should have been at to begin with. Understand this or keep your head buried in the sand, it's your choice.

Thanks for the comments. I have read about the whole tweeter story even before I got these Polks. Yet after hearing these speakers, I wonder how much difference will there be with the RD-0194, since I feel that the ones they have sound good to me? Also, if I wanted to upgrade to RD-0194, where do I get them and how much do they cost?
I know some people start making all the tweaks and upgrades as soon as they get new speakers. I belong to the camp - "dont fix it if it aint broke". So, I think I would listen to them more and see if there is anything I dont like about their sound before I start changing things. Maybe someone can explain in a better detail all the advantage of a tweeter upgrade ?

Thats right - this is a disease, - as much as I try to not buy new speakers, they just seem to find me. A couple of weekends ago, I spotted these on a local CL. At first I passed, but later in a day I saw that they are still there, so I thought I give them a new home. Plus I never had Polks af any kind or vintage and these are the ones that seem to be the favorites of many, I told my wife - I have to try these - price was just too good to pass. And off I went. A very pleasant older gentleman was selling these and he was the original owner. Speakers are in perfect condition - not a mark on them! All drivers work. I only this weekend had a chance to hook them up and what can I say? - I'm pleasantly surprised. They seem to be the speakers that sound good with many different kinds of music. I was not sure if I would like their passive woofer (yet I'm very happy with the KG-4's passive radiator), but it seems to do a good job. For now (at least) these took place of my Advent Heritage Speakers and I can say - I'm not in a hurry to return the Advents to this setup. Listening to the Savoy Brown on these Polks right now (played The Who before that) - and loving it!

I read a lot of posts about re-capping these as well as some other updates, but I'm not in a hurry to open them up just yet. They sound good as-is. Plus I have never tried to do a re-cap, so dont want to mess things up. Will see what future will bring, but for now - they are playing as they are:

Very,very nice!!!...and I like your choice of music.You sound like me when it comes to speakers...I just got a pair of Venturi Realta off Letgo today,they are awesome and only $50... very happy here but, haven't told the wife yet!!

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 61
Don't doubt Mr F-1nut there. The 194s are way better than the sl2000 silverdome. Thankfully my original M7s came w/ the smooth Peerless tweeters but when I got my 2Bs the SL2000s went the way of the Sabre tooth tiger to the RDO-194. Yes of course were all allowed to have opinions and some things are subjective but not this. Again if you do join Club Polk Forum you get those tweets and most drivers for $48 and free shipping...Lew

The whole sl2000 is a perfect example of the hive mentality here. No one with the balls to disagree and indicative of much of what is wrong in the nearly dead audio world. And they wonder why so few new recruits come in. You like them, stick with the best, keep the sl2000. Oh, and their disclamer, we are all entitled to our opinions, unless they don't agree.

The whole sl2000 is a perfect example of the hive mentality here. No one with the balls to disagree and indicative of much of what is wrong in the nearly dead audio world. And they wonder why so few new recruits come in. You like them, stick with the best, keep the sl2000. Oh, and their disclamer, we are all entitled to our opinions, unless they don't agree.

Wow! So, instead of trying to help a fellow audio enthusiast get better sound for their musical enjoyment folks should remain silent?

No need for you to be a...
DSC00626.jpg
If the SL2000 tweeter was worth a shit then Polk Audio would still be selling them today instead of the redesigned & improved replacement RDO-194.

Its all about your attitude man! And how you use your words like it or not! You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you don't be cool about it you are going to get responses back that aren't so cool! Do ya get it yet!!!

Nice find on your Polks,i have a set of 7b's with the Peerless tweeters that i like a lot. I have a set of SDA1's with the SL 2000 tweeters. The SL 2000's are not as bad as their reputation, i'm living with them. I'm sure the 194 replacement tweeters are better, but can't justify the expense of changing four tweeters on these SDA'S.Here is an interesting question are the 194's better than the Peerless tweeters?

Back
Top Bottom