Pickering and Stanton Users and Collectors.

Just a pricing heads-up. The 4608-DQX styus at the Voice of Music has dropped fairly substantially, listed now for $57. I believe the last time that I checked, Gary was asking $88 or so. A nice hyper elliptical stylus that seems to get pretty positive reviews. Don't own one myself though. I lucked out when he was offering the 4608-DEV at an almost give away price and I picked up two.

While listed as a replacement for the D4500Q (Pickering XUV), this should sound nice in any Pickering or Stanton samarium-cobalt body.

Will it work in the Stanton 681EEE? Isn't that stylus for a MM vs the MI my cartridge is?

Check it now. It has come back and is available to drop in your shopping basket. :)
Yeah, but it's not the same stylus anymore. EVG's suppliers are currently changing. Most, including the 606-DEX were produced in Japan, and now they are going to be Swiss made.:( Obviously by whoever supplies Pfanstiehl.

mp3RfTkl.jpg

My Stanton 680MKII w/ Jico Shibata. Need to spend more time with it, but very impressed so far.

That's so pretty!

DSC_3288.jpg

I have here a Pickering UV-15 with D2000-Q stylus assembly .
Stylus profile is listed as quadrahedral...for reading the groove in a quad record. And it works fine on stereo.
DSC_3284.jpg

This one needs a new stylus assembly or perhaps a rebuild. I suspect the elastomer has gone hard. Although I don't have a microscope suitable for identifying stylus wear...which could also be a factor.

-Steve
http://www.theanalogdept.com

I'd expect the cartridge is still good, unless you test the resistance for each side with a digital meter and find one of the coils is open.

DSC_3288.jpg

Yeah, that is what I've thought as well. The Stylus assembly acts like the elastomer is gone. Too bad. It needs money. Stylus shape is Shibata. I wonder if the cartridge is any good when all freshened up.
-Steve

I'll revive this thread by mentioning that there are some "PC 3000" styli for the XSV 3000 on the auction site. Described as conical, but I can't tell if it has the tie-wire or not. Cheap enough to try out anyway. No affiliation with the seller. Seriously doubting though that it's the same as a "PC 3000" stylus that I currently own that's a Jico Shibata.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292727516740

The thread has be quiet for a while, so I just figured that I'd take a photo to post. Yeah, I'm a Stanton and Pickering user (and collector!). Latest addition is a Stanton 785LZE. I already had a "low z" XLZ/7500S but couldn't resist picking it up. The cartridge sans sticker is an XSV-4000. I have original styli for most, with the exception of the 785, Pickering XSV-3000, 4000, and Stanton 881. I've managed to acquire quite a few nice aftermarkets though.

Since there isn't a "users and hoarders" thread yet...

DSCF4648.jpg DSCF4650.jpg DSCF4652.jpg DSCF4655.jpg

I only have two Stanton cartridges....a 680HP that I got new about 15 years ago and have been thinking about trying a different stylus on it...and a 600EE that I've put a 821-DEE stylus from turntableneedles.com on. The original was missing the cant. when I got it.

I only have two Stanton cartridges....a 680HP that I got new about 15 years ago and have been thinking about trying a different stylus on it...and a 600EE that I've put a 821-DEE stylus from turntableneedles.com on. The original was missing the cant. when I got it.

So is the 821-DEE stylus you purchased from TTN the one manufactured by Bliss? Wondering how that sounds.

Just a little trivia. I recently was reading an obituary of Walter Stanton that I found online, which stated that he graduated from Wayne State University's School of Electrical Engineering in 1939 (which is located in Detroit). I found this cool since I'm only 20 miles west of WSU. Out of curiosity, I searched the Wikipedia list of well known WSU alumni, and Wayne State's OWN list of notable alumni, and he's missing from both! Curious.

So is the 821-DEE stylus you purchased from TTN the one manufactured by Bliss? Wondering how that sounds.

yes, it's their copy by Bliss of the D6003EE. I have it on the PL-510 tracking at 1.25g and it's warmer than say the AT 3600L or Shure M97XE but it' s a nice sounding cartridge. Hearing lots of detail on Dark SIde of the Moon with it. I can't say how it compares to the original stylus in the 600EE though.

The thread has be quiet for a while, so I just figured that I'd take a photo to post. Yeah, I'm a Stanton and Pickering user (and collector!). Latest addition is a Stanton 785LZE. I already had a "low z" XLZ/7500S but couldn't resist picking it up. The cartridge sans sticker is an XSV-4000. I have original styli for most, with the exception of the 785, Pickering XSV-3000, 4000, and Stanton 881. I've managed to acquire quite a few nice aftermarkets though.

Since there isn't a "users and hoarders" thread yet...

View attachment 1622120 View attachment 1622122 View attachment 1622123 View attachment 1622124

:eek:

Electrically, I believe that the Pickering match to the Stanton 881 is the XSV-4000, not the 3000. I've had corroded pins and after cleaning the cartridge worked fine. To be sure, why not mount your 4000 and try the 881 stylus in it to confirm that the cartridge works?

Needlestein will be here shortly! There's a number of aftermarkets that will work pretty well, and some of them are quite inexpensive. Might not sound much different than the 881 though. I'd still be inclined to keep - but again, I'm a self acknowledged PickerStant horder.
I miss Needlstein. :(

Back
Top Bottom