Pickering XSV/3000 WHAT A PLEASANT SUPRISE!

what would be the tracking force be if your using a SME 3009 series II improved arm, with & without the brush ?
For all arms: tracking force range is 0.75 - 1.5 grams without the brush. With the brush it's 1.75 - 2.5 grams.

I bought a 3000 back in the seventies and still use it sometimes.
Where did you buy the LP Gear vivid stylus .

For all arms: tracking force range is 0.75 - 1.5 grams without the brush. With the brush it's 1.75 - 2.5 grams.
I just pulled up the XSV3000 owner's manual and yes, with the brush add 1 gram: 1.75 - 2.5 grams. So I'm still tracking light, with the brush on at 1.5g. Now I have to try it again.
Thanks for the tip.

OK, put the XSV3000 with brush back on the PL-530. Balanced it out, and set the VTF for 2g.
Now I hear what it's supposed to sound like - sweet!

I had taken the brush off, because I didn't like the way it sounded or tracked, now I know why; VTF was too light. What a difference.
Thanks again.

yeah, i set mine on my Technics sl-1400 with the brush down at 2g, and it is the best cart i own. came on a $10 garage sale table

I'm another fan of the XSV3000 & D3000. I've had a couple of used ones in the past and I just got a true NOS set.

Unbelievably good.

I've a few Pickering / Stanton carts. I find I much prefer the high output carts over the low as they tend to be a bit too polite sounding:

My favourite Pickering / Stanton's are listed top to bottom below:

Stanton 981HZS (original stereohedron)
Pickering XSV3000 (short boron micro ridge tip by Needlestein)
Pickering XV15 625E (Jico shibata)
Pickering XLZ4500S (original stylus)
Stanton 785LZE (original stylus)

All up I prefer a number of my LOMC carts. That said a mate has had his Stanton 881 retipped by Garrott Bros with ruby cantilever and micro scanner II tip and the stylus glued to the body. It's actually as wide and slightly more dynamic than my Audio Technica ART9 without the hint of brightness that cart has. The ART9 tracks better though with less IGD. Still the Stanton is without doubt far better value.

I'm considering getting my 981HZS done with boron and a micro ridge. Though I may just run my Grace F9 instead. An altogether smoother presentation which suits my preferences..... Also considering getting the Empire 4000 D/I retipped similarly..... These are the only MM/MI carts I've tried that compete with the best LOMC's I've tried.

I still think the Philips GP922 is the best I've come across.

Back
Top Bottom