Pics Of Promo Labels - Show Them Off!

s/t - Badfinger
5ehN77C.jpg

Howard Roberts Quartet with Brass "Something's Cookin'" - Capitol Records (1965) promo
Howard Roberts with Brass.jpg
I have a couple of Capitol Records with the corner of the cover Perforated "Promo" as the one above. So I'm wondering what their policy was in Promo distribution? It doesn't seem likely that they would grab just any Lp's out of a pile and Perf the corners.

You have alot of very cool Rock Music Promo's. I've been searching through my Rock collection Promo's with stickers or time stamps,but it seems most of my WLP's are in Jazz. So you've posted A&M,Warner Brothers,and Columbia Records but I'm wondering if Capitol Records ever used a White Label?

First - Thanks!
Yes, Capitol used WLP's - don't recall if I have one or not.

Howard Roberts Quartet with Brass "Something's Cookin'" - Capitol Records (1965) promo
View attachment 991552
I have a couple of Capitol Records with the corner of the cover Perforated "Promo" as the one above. So I'm wondering what their policy was in Promo distribution? It doesn't seem likely that they would grab just any Lp's out of a pile and Perf the corners.

I believe they did just that. If yours has the factory shrink on it, does it look like it was stamped through the shrink?

I believe they did just that. If yours has the factory shrink on it, does it look like it was stamped through the shrink?
Yes,it was punched right through the shrink-it was still sealed when I found it. Now that you mention it,I have a few Blue Note's that are embossed "Demonstration Only" in the corner with no shrink,or stickers....And I know it's off topic but your "Bell Bottom Blues" signature made me ponder what a Rock n' Roll muse Patty Boyd-Harrison was to inspire so many songs. Not to mention her sister Jenny....

Yes,it was punched right through the shrink-it was still sealed when I found it. Now that you mention it,I have a few Blue Note's that are embossed "Demonstration Only" in the corner with no shrink,or stickers....And I know it's off topic but your "Bell Bottom Blues" signature made me ponder what a Rock n' Roll muse Patty Boyd-Harrison was to inspire so many songs. Not to mention her sister Jenny....

The perf/embossed styles were quicker as one doesn't have to cut the shrink. Ink stamping/rubber stamping/stickers require removal of some of the shrink.
I have a lot of those, but I just refer to them as "cover promos". They can be from anywhere in the run. If a promo man ran out, he could just go make some more. and there is no way to rove that the covers/LP's actually belong together, very easy to switch them out.

Promo labels require special runs. From my research it seems that they were produced before any other pressings.
This does not apply to special DJ pressings with special mixing/banding. They were unique unto themselves.

The Jazz Crusaders "Freedom Sound" - Pacific Jazz (1961) - Liberty/EMI Japan (1975) stereo/promo
Jazz Crusaders Freedom Sound.jpg
Here's an oddball-a white label promo Japanese repress of the Jazz Crusaders debut Lp. Thanks to Slick Willie for starting this thread-I enjoy sharing my collection with like minded people-most the people I know don't get it at all,they just play music as a background distraction.

The Jazz Crusaders "Freedom Sound" - Pacific Jazz (1961) - Liberty/EMI Japan (1975) stereo/promo
View attachment 991799
Here's an oddball-a white label promo Japanese repress of the Jazz Crusaders debut Lp. Thanks to Slick Willie for starting this thread-I enjoy sharing my collection with like minded people-most the people I know don't get it at all,they just play music as a background distraction.

Nice! Personally I don't have any JPN WLP's - need to seek some out!

Released in the same year as the earlier Badfinger WLP I posted upstream...yet this one uses the colored label with promo lingo. From research it seems that by the mid 70's it was pressing plant dependent as to which promo label they would use. And as with all vintage vinyl....there are always exceptions!
Wish You Were Here - Badfinger
xPDAHAD.jpg

Petula Clark "Portrait of Petula" - Warner Bros. Seven Arts Records (1969) stereo/promo
Petula Clark Portrait of Petula Happy Heart.jpg
I knew I had Some WLP's that weren't in the Jazz genre-I was going through the pile looking for Baker Gurvitz Army's "Hearts on Fire" and I saw this Pet Clark Lp.....

Last edited:
Now that's cool-that's like pre-production-is Vinyl? or another material?

It's 12" vinyl, I hit a stash of uncirculated BOC promo stuff that belonged to BOC's promo man. He even got a credit on an album. There was one of those 'floppy disc' thingies that I let pass me by, had one song on it that I forget now. That still haunts me!!!"

Back
Top Bottom