Pics Of Promo Labels - Show Them Off!

It's 12" vinyl, I hit a stash of uncirculated BOC promo stuff that belonged to BOC's promo man. He even got a credit on an album. There was one of those 'floppy disc' thingies that I let pass me by, had one song on it that I forget now. That still haunts me!!!"
Now that's a score-Do you have "Secret Treaties"? Even though they didn't write any of the songs on it,that's probably my favorite BOC album. "Agents of Fortune" & "Spectres" being more popular....

And yet another type of WLP, the Advance Promo. Often times with pressings available no other way.
Blue Oyster Cult - Roadhouse Blues
zE090ln.jpg
That's not a promo, it's a test pressing handed out to management, the band and others to decide if the lacquer cut is good enough to start pressing.

That's not a promo, it's a test pressing handed out to management, the band and others to decide if the lacquer cut is good enough to start pressing.

While I understand your confusion, this is an very limited advance promo only thingie. Columbia test pressings had their own distinct label variation.

While I understand your confusion, this is an very limited advance promo only thingie.
I'm not confused and don't call different steps in the record making proses thingies.
That's a test pressing, I think you had another one posted earlier also.
Do you not see how it is used to hand out for approval of the lacquer cut?

Matrix #
Selection
Date O.k.'d <to be signed off.

I'm not confused and don't call different steps in the record making proses thingies.
That's a test pressing, I think you had another one posted earlier also.
Do you not see how it is used to hand out for approval of the lacquer cut?

Matrix #
Selection
Date O.k.'d <to be signed off.

Again, I see your confusion, but if you look at the label, read what is on it, you will see that it's an advance promo. A test press will state so, or be a plain white label.
I have examples of both and will post as I work through the promos that I have.

Here is the last of my BOC's . I am particuary fond of this one as it is the only press released using the first plates (ie !A, etc.). All others, including the regular WLP used the second plates (ie 2A,/2B and so on). This one came with a paper sleeve of the cover artwork.
Agents Of Fortune - Blue Oyster Cult
Advance WLP.
mgXf1y8.jpg

Again, I see your confusion, but if you look at the label, read what is on it, you will see that it's an advance promo. A test press will state so, or be a plain white label.

The problem is you thinking anything is written in granite and there was stead fast ways and a continued process over the decades making records. I see that as being a test pressing that the Promotional Department did and sent it upstairs to get signed off as the lacquer cut they would use to press the promos with.

Lot's of promo work was done out of house as well, mastered from independent companies, and plated and pressed by them. This is how Classic Records got it's start making special promo pressings for the big companies. When the label started to just do CDs, Classic Records started to buy licensing of titles and put out limited numbers of Audiophile records like MFSL.

But your more than welcome to believe what you want and not grow you knowledge base in record collecting and record manufacturing. I see Advance Promotional as a department or independent business.

The problem is you thinking anything is written in granite and there was stead fast ways and a continued process over the decades making records. I see that as being a test pressing that the Promotional Department did and sent it upstairs to get signed off as the lacquer cut they would use to press the promos with.

Lot's of promo work was done out of house as well, mastered from independent companies, and plated and pressed by them. This is how Classic Records got it's start making special promo pressings for the big companies. When the label started to just do CDs, Classic Records started to buy licensing of titles and put out limited numbers of Audiophile records like MFSL.

But your more than welcome to believe what you want and not grow you knowledge base in record collecting and record manufacturing. I see Advance Promotional as a department or independent business.

Ha! I love this stuff!!!!
But we are not speaking of Classic (a tiny reissue label), things were handled differently back when record companies had their own plants
What I do know is that there were certain specific styles of WLP's
Plain white test labels
Pre printed generic test labels
Pre printed generic advance labels
Title specific advance WLP labels
Title specific WLP labels, the lingo can vary depending on purpose (ie DJ promo)
What you are doing is taking a leap of faith (based on???) and not looking at what is being presented in black and white. You may well be right, the pressing operator may have grabbed the wrong label....no way to prove your theory. Again, I present what we have before us and can only list it as it is. To do otherwise is just conjecture. We can only see it as what it shows, unless we can speak to the parties involved.
Advance Promo....no other way to prove it otherwise.
zE090ln.jpg

Milli Vanilli
Promo label press.
Same song both sides. Pic sleeve lists two songs. Don't see many promo 7 inchers with pic sleeves.
rR5thon.jpg

ZgkR46v.jpg

Well, considering the image shows people whose only job was to look pretty for the camera, perhaps it's no surprise. The song, to the eternal shame of the music industry, was sung by others.

Ha! I love this stuff!!!!
But we are not speaking of Classic (a tiny reissue label), things were handled differently back when record companies had their own plants
What I do know is that there were certain specific styles of WLP's
Plain white test labels
Pre printed generic test labels
Pre printed generic advance labels
Title specific advance WLP labels
Title specific WLP labels, the lingo can vary depending on purpose (ie DJ promo)
What you are doing is taking a leap of faith (based on???) and not looking at what is being presented in black and white. You may well be right, the pressing operator may have grabbed the wrong label....no way to prove your theory. Again, I present what we have before us and can only list it as it is. To do otherwise is just conjecture. We can only see it as what it shows, unless we can speak to the parties involved.
zE090ln.jpg

But your more than welcome to believe what you want and not grow you knowledge base in record collecting and record manufacturing.
I'll reiterate

What you are doing is taking a leap of faith (based on???)
Hands on knowledge.

I'll reiterate

Hands on knowledge.

Hands on with this title?
How can we state other than is what is presented before us? If I were to put this up for sale, how could I state and prove it's a test press when it states otherwise?
Your 'hands on knowledge' may be right, but at best is no more than a guess based on experience. You were not there. Try sellin' that on flea bay!

. To do otherwise is just conjecture. We can only see it as what it shows, unless we can speak to the parties involved.
Do you have the Promo cover and Flyer? Can you post the Matrix # if you know what that is.
I found your record, with that label but without the Test Pressing hand writing. Another thing anyone could have written on the label in it's life as well.

41lFwFK-oaL._SX355_.jpg R-6935620-1441200221-6226.jpeg.jpg R-6935620-1441200286-3051.jpeg.jpg R-6935620-1441200321-5612.jpeg-1.jpg

Blue Öyster Cult ‎– Roadhouse Blues
Label:
Columbia ‎– XSM170053/4

Tracklist
A1 Roadhouse Blues (Long)
B1 Roadhouse Blues (Edit)
Notes
Both sides have Columbia Advance Promotional labels, both sides stamped with COLUMBIA NY in runout grooves.
Came with a promotional release stencil for the ETL album.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
  • Matrix / Runout (stamped side 1): XSM170053-1A
  • Barcode (stamped side 2): XSM170054-1A

View attachment 993135 View attachment 993136 View attachment 993137 View attachment 993138

Label:
Columbia ‎– XSM170053/4

Tracklist
Notes
Both sides have Columbia Advance Promotional labels, both sides stamped with COLUMBIA NY in runout grooves.

All numbers/info you list match mine. I am missing the flyer and hype sticker. One side has no handwriting, the other as I posted.
Your thoughts? Have they changed?

View attachment 993135 View attachment 993136 View attachment 993137 View attachment 993138

Label:
Columbia ‎– XSM170053/4

Tracklist
Notes

I neglected to mention that all info is stamped.
I admit to confusion with Columbia on which plants used stamped vs etched matrices.

Your thoughts? Have they changed?
I see that as being a test pressing that the Promotional Department did and sent it upstairs to get signed off as the lacquer cut they would use to press the promos with.

Well two thoughts, one I already said above and why you might not have all the packaging, it was an internal test press that was approved and the matrix would match the following promos with the distribution packaging.
Or
Somewhere in it's life the original packaging, got lost and someone just wrote on the label what it was and put it in a generic cover.

Looking at your label, it's a badly printed one without all the manufactures info, I can see them using them up internally doing one or two test pressings samples. Not to be right or anything and like all this is detective work, nothing is written in granite as I said above in the record collecting world. I lean to a internal test pressing due to lack of packaging, sloppy label printing and hand written title. They then used the stamper and producer the end product in a cleaner fashion and packaging.

Well two thoughts, one I already said above and why you might not have all the packaging, it was an internal test press that was approved and the matrix would match the following promos with the distribution packaging.
Or
Somewhere in it's life the original packaging, got lost and someone just wrote on the label what it was and put it in a generic cover.

Looking at your label, it's a badly printed one without all the manufactures info, I can see them using them up internally doing one or two test pressings samples. Not to be right or anything and like all this is detective work, nothing is written in granite as I said above in the record collecting world. I lean to a internal test pressing due to lack of packaging, sloppy label printing and hand written title. They then used the stamper and producer the end product in a cleaner fashion and packaging.

The only difference in quality I see is in the pic quality....mine is poor....part of my charm? Can't see the other side of your label post, My other side also looks like that. As far as the inserts go..who knows? Mine came from uncirculated (can not prove) stock from their promo guy. Perhaps they were not installed as they were never put out there?
My black cover looks the same and has the gold inked promo stamp on it.
BTW, my pic was taken with the LP inside the cover, some info was obscured. Would a full label pic help?

Back
Top Bottom