Pics of your listening space

Have you tried pulling the AR's a little forward to get them at least even with the middle rack?

The AR9LSi are much more tolerant of being closer to the back wall than other speakers like the AR9 with the side firing woofers, or any speaker with a rear mounted port.

The AR9LSi are much more tolerant of being closer to the back wall than other speakers like the AR9 with the side firing woofers, or any speaker with a rear mounted port.

I am thinking more about the potential disruption caused by the gear being ahead of the baffles. And just to see if there is any difference.

If all goes well, my wife and I are purchasing a house this week and moving from our small apartment. My wife especially would like us to have better LP storage space. She doesn't like the shelves we have now that require the LPs to be stored in the usual manner, with the spines to the outside. We both find it hard to find LPs, even though they're well organized alphabetically, etc. We'd like to find the kind of shelving that record stores use, whereby you can flip through the albums and see the front of the cover. Anybody have any ideas, sources, etc.? Thanks!

If all goes well, my wife and I are purchasing a house this week and moving from our small apartment. My wife especially would like us to have better LP storage space. She doesn't like the shelves we have now that require the LPs to be stored in the usual manner, with the spines to the outside. We both find it hard to find LPs, even though they're well organized alphabetically, etc. We'd like to find the kind of shelving that record stores use, whereby you can flip through the albums and see the front of the cover. Anybody have any ideas, sources, etc.? Thanks!

If you have some tools or have a friend that does, build your own. The basic cabinet uses a single sheet of plywood.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...m-single-4-x-8-sheet-of-plywood-plans.337891/

upgraded the living room system- replaced some KLH barons with PSB 6T and replaced sony ES AVR with a nakamichi TA4A

UF2GJbp.jpg

Yes, I'm a few months behind. Woody, love your space, and the main room/great room/living room looks very spacious. Can you state whether or not you have any acoustical issues, and if you do, what have you done/tried.

My big room is a little "live," but not too bad. Since both sets of speakers/systems are
reasonably far from side walls (except my right Altec) first reflections aren't a huge issue. There are definitely some room modes... but I'm not going to do anything about it because of aesthetics. My dedicated room is smaller, but it's in process of being fully treated as I find time to make the treatments.

I enjoy both rooms.

- Woody

Nice Missions!

Thanks mate - refoaming those was, literally, a mission in itself. I think the proper foams for these must have a really thin roll on them because fitting generic foam to the back edge of the cone was not easy ! I think they sound pretty decent now though and I'm definitely looking at bookshelf speakers to keep rather than floorstanders due to limited space.

If you have some tools or have a friend that does, build your own. The basic cabinet uses a single sheet of plywood.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...m-single-4-x-8-sheet-of-plywood-plans.337891/
All right, thanks. I have neither the skills nor the tools for the task, I'm afraid. The only woodworking-skilled friend I have is about 1,000 miles away. Most of my friends here on the east coast are urban townhouse dwellers with no room for such endeavors (even assuming they were so inclined). I might just have to commission the project to the lowest bidder. Ha!

I'm going to get a dedicated listening room in the new place we're moving to. Odd shape, 8' x 17'.
I'm looking forward to it. No pics yet.

It depends on what you want to spend of course, or conversely how skilled you are at woodworking. Of course the size of your collection comes into play as well. If you're in the thousands then you're going to need a lot of space to have record store flip-ability. There are lots of storage solutions at this link but very few actually provide a solution to your dilemma.
http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/vinyl-record-storage-and-shelving-solutions/
I've seen plans for DIY record store style cabinets that wouldn't be very expensive to knock together. When I moved a few years ago I need a way to transport my modest collection of 420 or so albums. I went with six Container Store oversized milk crates. Not terribly attractive but very effective for transport and storage.
http://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...l-record-storage-crate/12d?productId=10005526
Almost four years down the road and I'm still using them. My listening room is small so the ability to stack them on top of each other is great. It means I have to shuffle them around to get to different parts of the collection but that's not a big deal. I too like to flip albums rather than sliding them in and out of a rack. I can spread the crates all over the floor or stack them like you see here which allows for classic record store standing and flipping of a third my vinyl at a time. It's ugly but it's effective.
PC100008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom