Pics of your listening space

Thanks all for the kind comments.

@eljr Yes the wall is 21 individual frames. They are all hung on screws. With the aid of a chalk reel, the wall became a fairly straightforward project. Took 3hrs maybe?

@dyche01 Basically with my ears haha. And comparing the sound with other's systems. After doing some research, I found that square rooms (mines 14.5' x 14.5') have two modes almost right where my listening position is. And confirmed my feelings that the bass response was really poor. And after 3ish years, I thought I just had poor equipment! Or bad hearing

RRturbines, while that art work on the wall looks great, but the problem of secondary reflections of upper mid`s & high frequencies from that front wall will smear them and can/will wreck the presentation of any quality sound stage/ imagining on the music played in that room if important to you..

All other things considered decent in that room : Sound from speakers to ears---Good. Sound then continues on past ears, and then reflects off wall behind listening position back to ears--- Still good, but sounds will now continue past your listening position and impact on a very highly reflective(glass faced picture frames !!) front wall surface and then bounces back at you competing with music still playing, but by that time the reflected from the front is delayed by the speed of sound(1134 ft. per second) enough to create destructive comb filtering(modes & nodes) to the frequencies that are important for good music articulation(clarity) at your listening position..

The concept & procedures to address this is called LEDE(Live end Dead End). And is well known in the professional audio industry. Look into it if you wish, young Man

I implemented the concept in my main listening room after reading & researching it in the mid nineties and works very, very well..

Just something to consider Sir. FWIW. JMO/E. Good luck and kind regards, OKB

@Bill Ferris
Yes I was afraid those frames might be having a negative effect of some sort. Essentially acting like glass windows, they are. I'm intrigued by the LEDE concept and will definitely be looking into that. Part the purpose of the new room is to serve as a test bed for homemade speakers so it would behoove me to make the FR as flat as possible. (Or so I think). I appreciate your advice on the matter!

Stinks that form and function don't always get along

@Bill Ferris
Yes I was afraid those frames might be having a negative effect of some sort. Essentially acting like glass windows, they are. I'm intrigued by the LEDE concept and will definitely be looking into that. Part the purpose of the new room is to serve as a test bed for homemade speakers so it would behoove me to make the FR as flat as possible. (Or so I think). I appreciate your advice on the matter!

DSCN0037.JPG
Your most welcome Sir.

While I like things to look interesting/great, when it comes to messing with my tunes playback SQ the visuals while pleasing to eye if they screw with my music then they have to be adjusted or removed..
With me it`s always been function before form when it comes to sound `cause I listen to music with my ears not with my eyes..
Here`s a pic of my primary listening room..
And believe it or not most of my friend`s wives actually like the wall treatment, which surprised me the first they came over and saw my layout.
Take care and good luck with your setup.. Kind regards, OKB

View attachment 971257
Your most welcome Sir.

While I like things to look interesting/great, when it comes to messing with my tunes playback SQ the visuals while pleasing to eye if they screw with my music then they have to be adjusted or removed..
With me it`s always been function before form when it comes to sound `cause I listen to music with my ears not with my eyes..
Here`s a pic of my primary listening room..
And believe it or not most of my friend`s wives actually like the wall treatment, which surprised me the first they came over and saw my layout.
Take care and good luck with your setup.. Kind regards, OKB
I recognize the amps.

Tell us about the screen, and speakers, if you please.

I recognize the amps.

Tell us about the screen, and speakers, if you please.

Ok BigEICat, gladly, the screen is for the Sony 4K theater grade digitalDSCN0025.JPG projector, and the speakers are Mac XRT 30`s that are tri-amplified via the mono`d Tuber`s on the floor for the mid & high frequencies, with two MC 1201`s(out of the picture, `cause their in the sunroom) taking care of the important as well, 80 hz. and below business.

Thank you for your interest Sir. Kind regards, OKB

Ok BigEICat, gladly, the screen is for the Sony 4K theater grade digitalView attachment 971278 projector, and the speakers are Mac XRT 30`s that are tri-amplified via the mono`d Tuber`s on the floor for the mid & high frequencies, with two MC 1201`s(out of the picture, `cause their in the sunroom) taking care of the important as well, 80 hz. and below business.

Thank you for your interest Sir. Kind regards, OKB

Awesome.

@Bill Ferris

Also RRturbines, what you see as my acoustical foam tile treatment is the second application in that room.
The first application was done in 1995 and finally started breaking down, like foam does in 2012.
So, since the first foam tiles had been originally attached with liquid nails it was a major, major pain to remove all the leftover still stuck on bits of glue and foam for a smooth wall surface to reapply the new tiles..

Anyway, my housekeeper came up with a very good solution to reattach the new replacement 12"X12" tiles, and that was to use seamstress pins with the oval like folded ends to pin the tiles with about 4 or more pins per tile as needed to check any bowing or sag..
And now if any tiles somehow become damaged or start rotting it`s very easy to replace them..

And please don`t put them on a wall near where they will be exposed to a nearby open flame(nearby candle/s, ect.), as the tiles can be very flammable. Though they say that the material has been improved in that respect, it`s best not to test it`s flammability.

I was concerned at first, that my desire to listen to music and or movie sound tracks at "realistic levels" might shake the tiles loose, but hasn`t happened yet with standard dry wall that the tiles are pinned to.

Thought that this mounting method might be helpful for anyone considering this..

Enjoy the weekend folks. Kind regards, OKB

Back
Top Bottom