Emotiva USP-1
Technics SL1200
Music Hall MMF 2.2
Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monos
Odyssey Stratos Extreme Stereo with Kismet board
Kef LS50
Sonus Faber Elipsa

Last edited:
This is what I worked on yesterday. In system two I had a pair of JBL 250ti's and I brought out these huge back breaking lowboy JBL C40 Harkness speakers out of storage in my third bedroom along with my much loved Knight tube mono-blocks from '58. It's been almost 3 years since I used the amps and probably 4 years since I had these JBL's set up, they weigh about 130 lbs plus each and were built between '61 & '63. I've owned them for about 8 years and acquired them from the original owner. They are a matched all original unmolested pair in excellent condition with gorgeous walnut veneer with the 001 driver load D130A 15" woofer and the DLH 175 horn and N1200 x-over in folded horn enclosure. This system excels with straight ahead jazz and classical, I'll be spinning some jazz & Christmas albums later with it, Cheers!

20171223_125424.jpg

20171223_125506.jpg

These have the original Mullard's from '58 including the EL37's.

20171223_130813.jpg

20171223_125543.jpg

20171223_125629.jpg

20171223_104055.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I worked on yesterday. In system two I had a pair of JBL 250ti's and I brought out these huge back breaking lowboy JBL C40 Harkness speakers out of storage in my third bedroom along with my much loved Knight tube mono-blocks from '58. It's been almost 3 years since I used the amps and probably 4 years since I had these JBL's set up, they weigh about 130 lbs plus each and were built between '61 & '63. I've owned them for about 8 years and acquired them from the original owner. They are a matched all original unmolested pair in excellent condition with gorgeous walnut veneer with the 001 driver load D130A 15" woofer and the DLH 175 horn and N1200 x-over in folded horn enclosure. This system excels with straight ahead jazz and classical, I'll be spinning some jazz & Christmas albums later with it, Cheers!

20171223_125424.jpg

20171223_125506.jpg

These have the original Mullard's from '58 including the EL37's.

20171223_130813.jpg

20171223_125543.jpg

20171223_125629.jpg

20171223_104055.jpg

Looking good, Bob.:bowdown::thumbsup:

Combo home theater / two channel listening - Yamaha rx-a3040 handling surround and center, Parasound Halo integrated handling two channel duties ( streamed out of Mac mini) to Goldenear Triton One speakers. Great dynamics, instruments in space , holographic mid range. 82AB2125-7274-4B03-B5D3-AAF435EF1594.jpeg

CA00C454-6D06-42F0-AEB2-89498BDFEBEE.jpeg My listening room in the far end of the basement. Not as much width as I would like.........
Denon DP1200 w/ Ortofon 2M Black
Creek CD50 mk2
Sony CA7ES 5 disc changer
Aragon 47k phono preamp w/ outboard PS
Audio Research LS8 tube preamp
Conrad Johnson MF2500 amp
PSB Gold speakers

Hodge podge of gear and cables, but it has been a long journey of gear over the years. I need to just sit back end enjoy all the music.

My listening room in the far end of the basement. Not as much width as I would like.........
Denon DP1200 w/ Ortofon 2M Black
Creek CD50 mk2
Sony CA7ES 5 disc changer
Aragon 47k phono preamp w/ outboard PS
Audio Research LS8 tube preamp
Conrad Johnson MF2500 amp
PSB Gold speakers

Hodge podge of gear and cables, but it has been a long journey of gear over the years. I need to just sit back end enjoy all the music.
index.php

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but most systems here are a hodge podge of gear. It's all part of the game. And I have to say, you have a very nice hodge podge of gear there.

How do you like those PSB Gold's? I always wanted a pair. They're still on my dream list of speakers to eventually buy.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but most systems here are a hodge podge of gear. It's all part of the game. And I have to say, you have a very nice hodge podge of gear there.

How do you like those PSB Gold's? I always wanted a pair. They're still on my dream list of speakers to eventually buy.
Thank you for kind words. I love the PSB Stratus Golds. My first real “audiophile” speaker. Bought them used in March.
Unfortunately the chap I bought them from was undergoing chemo and the medication was ruining his upper octave hearing. They are as close to mint that I can see. They image really well and are detailed in what they capture. Airy highs while still delivering punch on the percussion. they need lots of power to drive them to excel. My CJ MF2500 does well, but they could even sound better if I bi-amped then (another day). They get loud, but still sound detailed, precise and controlled.

So my speaker history is quite pedestrian up until these.
Stacked Advents - loved that wall of sound
Polk SDA’s
Many other models of Polk’s. Good and reliable
Klipsch Heresy’s - my foray into tube amps, airy and loud but lacked bass and needed a sub.

So these PSB’s are a big step up for my system. Not just different but a whole lot better faithful reproduction of the source whether it be vinyl or CD. They can be had for a good deal.

Brian

211A905E-6C55-4D73-A810-0864A679E3A5.jpeg

Thank you for kind words. I love the PSB Stratus Golds. My first real “audiophile” speaker. Bought them used in March.
Unfortunately the chap I bought them from was undergoing chemo and the medication was ruining his upper octave hearing. They are as close to mint that I can see. They image really well and are detailed in what they capture. Airy highs while still delivering punch on the percussion. they need lots of power to drive them to excel. My CJ MF2500 does well, but they could even sound better if I bi-amped then (another day). They get loud, but still sound detailed, precise and controlled.

So my speaker history is quite pedestrian up until these.
Stacked Advents - loved that wall of sound
Polk SDA’s
Many other models of Polk’s. Good and reliable
Klipsch Heresy’s - my foray into tube amps, airy and loud but lacked bass and needed a sub.

So these PSB’s are a big step up for my system. Not just different but a whole lot better faithful reproduction of the source whether it be vinyl or CD. They can be had for a good deal.

Brian

You're quite welcome, Brian.

The 1990's was a great decade for great "audiophile" speakers. The loudspeakers I lusted for during that time were the PSB Stratus Gold, the NHT 2.9, the Martin Logan SL3, Vandersteen 2Ce, and lastly the Hales Revelation Three. I acquired my very first "audiophile" speakers roughly 8 years ago which were the NHT 2.9's. Then about 2 years ago, I acquired my second pair of audiophile speakers, the Martin Logan SL3's. I have and use both pairs currently.

When using either pair of speakers, I have a pair of highly modified Carver M-500t amplifiers that I vertically bi-amp the speakers with. They produce 400 watts per channel (actually 390w @ 8 ohms and 420w @ 4 ohms). The NHT's are all original, but with the Martin Logan's, I bypassed the internal passive crossover networks and use a dbx Venu 360 for crossover, time alignment, voicing and room correction duty. When using the NHT's, the dbx is only used for room correction.

One day, mark my words, I will get myself a pair of PSB Stratus Gold's, Vandersteen 2Ce's and Hales Revelation Three's. Let me know when you're ready to sell those PSB's and I'll come pick them up! :naughty::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom