Pictures of your computer set ups

just got my gustard u12, my breeze audio u8 took by customs, ill buy the singxer f1 next I got the gustard cheap from a friend

temp setup while basement is being refinished

2PkVKYf.jpg

Monitor audio PMC 700 bookshelves
b&k av202 receiver- works great as for all analog circuitry with the direct stereo mode. 105wpc beefy torodial and caps
Pinnacle baby boomer, using the line level inputs with the built in xover at 70hz. It integrates with the monitor audios amazing
Yamaha DDP-1 in test mode as a redbook PCM dac its a nos dac with a great chip implementation, not as refined as my dual different pcm1704s but its definitely nice analog sound to it

pnDqHIT.jpg

A small change for the better...
View attachment 700211

View attachment 700213

I had a chance to get these Qe's that looked as close to showroom as I've ever seen and thought I'd give them a try. After numerous different moves, finally reorganizing the cable mess, and finding the right placement within such limited confines these little brutes really shine. The EMIT's look brand new, flat ribbons, and as shiny as I've ever seen. There's a little tape residue on one of the woofers and the grills are that horrible brown. I might have to make some new grills with black grill cloth. Then all the gear would match. I do know this the Qe's really love the power the Sony gives them and play way above their pay grade. Loving this setup!

I ran QE's in college. If my pair wasn't so beat up, I would have kept them forever. Those two way infinities with the emit tweeters are magic. I have a friend who has new reference Quads, and he nearly cried when he sold his Rse's :) I'd hold onto those if I were you. Mine responded very positively to some new crossover caps!

Right now I am using an audio-gd reference 5.32 DAC > Decware taboo MK III > audeze LCD 2.2 phones in my office.

IMG_1281%20Decware%20net_zpsvhnk5s3c.jpg
I'm dying to hear some Audeze planars. I'm planning on springing for some of those or maybe a pair of Hifiman in the next couple months. beautiful rig.

Here's a picture of our setup at the small architecture studio I started working at. The boss is a really cool lady who loves Zappa and we have a lot of fun listening to music while at work. We have a full Tivoli Audio setup - it could use better placement but it's pretty deceitnt as it is for a small space like this.
View attachment 748282
That's a nice looking workspace too. seems like an enjoyable work environment

This is my temporary setup with my laptop. These will be in my main system when I move into my new apartment (they won't fit in my main setup as it is now). Equipment currently is: Asus Xonar U3 Soundcard -> Pioneer SG90 EQ (as passive preamp) -> Nakamichi PA-5 -> Eosone RSF-600s. Also have a JVC XL-V211 in there.

20160704_193246.jpg

In a tight spot and out of minimalist budget equipment, I have created a small system best for dialog and some light referencing of music.

___________________________________________Micca COVO-S & Monoprice 8" Sub
Mac Mini Late 2012 -> Fiio K1 DAC -> SMSL Mini5 <
___________________________________________Fostex T50RP

Eventually I'd like to replace the Mini5 with a Magni 2 Uber and the Micca's with some small powered speakers and the monitor with an ultrawide.

Last edited:
IMG_2813.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG

Finished rebuilding these Chapman mini monitors today.

They're a modified Ls3/5a with a Chapman crossover (rebuild with all Solen caps), b110 woofers and SEAS tweeters. Here's the first few minutes of me breaking them in.

Desk is a Leovig :)

^^^Nice indeed, including the Leovig, but what else do we see? Rogue? Thorens? D/A Converter? What are the cool looking Whizzer coned jobbies with the dual ports?^^^

^^^Nice indeed, including the Leovig, but what else do we see? Rogue? Thorens? D/A Converter? What are the cool looking Whizzer coned jobbies with the dual ports?^^^
Well let's see... we've got the Thorens TD 145 mkii, Rogue 99 Magnum pre, VTA Stereo 70 outside the photo, and my big fellas over there are the Tekton Lore (kind of a cousin to the Zu Omen). Oh yes, and the DAC is the Starting point Systems DAC3 with the Phillips TD1543 chip

View attachment 792990
View attachment 792991

They're a modified Ls3/5a with a Chapman crossover (rebuild with all Solen caps), b110 woofers and SEAS tweeters. Here's the first few minutes of me breaking them in.

I hope they don't sound too bright w/ the Solen caps. I rebuilt Altec Model 15 speakers w/ Solen caps and the speakers lost their balance. Though they had more detail and clarity, they became thinner and brighter sounding. Your speakers are already light in the bass. Oil caps may be a better choice than polypropylene caps.

I hope they don't sound too bright w/ the Solen caps. I rebuilt Altec Model 15 speakers w/ Solen caps and the speakers lost their balance. Though they had more detail and clarity, they became thinner and brighter sounding. Your speakers are already light in the bass. Oil caps may be a better choice than polypropylene caps.
The decision was made after realizing that Solen is the preferred brand of Falcon acoustics. These have Lpads too. In any case, they're in there now and that's where they're staying.

In my experience, new caps will often shift the brightness balance of a speaker - I wonder if that's just because the old caps became worn out and out of spec.

I know what you mean by "they're in there now and that's where they're staying". Mine stayed too. My research on DIYAudio was that most folk thought Solen caps were bright and didn't like them in speakers, but I built them up because the cost was doable. Hope you enjoy them Ailkier.

I know what you mean by "they're in there now and that's where they're staying". Mine stayed too. My research on DIYAudio was that most folk thought Solen caps were bright and didn't like them in speakers, but I built them up because the cost was doable. Hope you enjoy them Ailkier.
I am playing with correct tuning and placement today. It's a good thing there are Lpads in this, because they are in fact bright. However, part of the issue is that they are a 6 ohm tweeter as opposed to the original 8 ohm, and I believe may be marginally more sensitive. The Lpads are turned down a bit now and things are coming through much more naturally

Just had a custom riser made from 1/4" steel plate and powder coated. Fits my Parasound ZAmp and ZDac perfectly. System consists of:

• 5K Retina IMac mostly streaming Tidal
• Parasound ZDac via USB as a preamp/DAC
• Homebrew Silver over copper IC
• Parasound ZAmp
• Clear Day Shotgun Speaker Cables - 1M
• Audience ClairAudient "The Ones" with risers.
• REL T-Zero Sub (Not Pictured)

- Woody

29303124503_559cd1c699_o.jpg

Just had a custom riser made from 1/4" steel plate and powder coated. Fits my Parasound ZAmp and ZDac perfectly. System consists of:

• 5K Retina IMac mostly streaming Tidal
• Parasound ZDac via USB as a preamp/DAC
• Homebrew Silver over copper IC
• Parasound ZAmp
• Clear Day Shotgun Speaker Cables - 1M
• Audience ClairAudient "The Ones" with risers.
• REL T-Zero Sub (Not Pictured)

- Woody

View attachment 794986
Woody, love to see your stuff

Woody, I was just about to mention how nicely the Parasounds are nestled together like that and I now see the post about the custom riser. Very nice.

View attachment 792990
View attachment 792991

Folks, I'd like to say I am thoroughly enjoying these little monitors. They've made me a believer in two things: 1. I believe in crossover and driver break-in. After some solid play hours, instrument soundstage is significantly improved in both near field and far listening settings. 2. Near field listening is great. Very holographic sensation.

I repaired these not knowing if they would sound very good when finished - they are worth all the effort I invested. You desk folks have a good thing going.

Folks, I'd like to say I am thoroughly enjoying these little monitors. They've made me a believer in two things: 1. I believe in crossover and driver break-in. After some solid play hours, instrument soundstage is significantly improved in both near field and far listening settings. 2. Near field listening is great. Very holographic sensation.

I repaired these not knowing if they would sound very good when finished - they are worth all the effort I invested. You desk folks have a good thing going.

Years ago when first married I lived in an apartment. Tenants were required to practically whisper ( we moved after 3 months). At night I would hook up my old, bone stock Dynaco Stereo 70 and Pas 3x with a small pair of borrowed Celestions. The speakers were each placed on a chair, perhaps 3 or 4 feet apart, and I sat on the floor about the same distance away as the turntable spun, and the Pas was set to ultra quiet. I am still amazed as the spacious presentation that I was given, especially the depth.

Back
Top Bottom