Pilot 248B pics and a tune up...

Theron D

I recently posted about the speaker connection for a recently acquired 30W/channel Pilot 248B here but thought I would start a new thread in a recent trip to a local (retired) tube technician (Geoff Wolfson in Spring Grove PA) with some pics of the work done. My goal was to get the amp looked over by someone that had experience, Mr. Wolfson had experience but said it had been many years since he's worked on a Pilot amp. He said he was thrilled to see one again, especially in this condition.Three components were replaced (2 capacitors and 1 resistor). (I'll include more info about these once I talk with Geoff about specifics)

In addition, the pot controls were sprayed with Deoxit and they are clean functioning.

Also (7) new 12aX7 tubes were purchased from Jim McShane. V1 and V7 Sovtek LPS and the (5) others were Tung Sol.

41648978544_ca2bfa111a_b.jpg

before replacing components (in red)

42326308262_9f942f54cd_b.jpg

after replacement (green)

42326308272_17a234b482_b.jpg

Sounds Great! A beautiful liquid like midrange clear as a bell. Very nice even highs and lows that can be adjusted with the Treble/Bass on the front.

The only thing I plan to do is to clean the face panel and top. Geoff suggested Windex and some q-tips and to be careful (any other suggestions appreciated).

I'm currently playing with Harbeth 7es3 speakers, honestly they need more power (the other amp I have is a 100 W Rogue Cronus Mag II which is a beautiful match with the Harbeths.)

My other question is what speakers would be good (high efficiency) for a ~400 sq ft size room? I'm thinking maybe Omega Junior 8 XRS, Tekton Lore, or Zu. Any input appreciated...mostly for jazz, classical, and some rock (but will use the Rogue/Harbeths/Rel Sub for the heavier modern stuff). Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Pilot248B007.jpg
that is one of the better sounding Pilot units...it was my first also!

100_2847.jpg

wwith tuner....

that is one of the better sounding Pilot units...it was my first also!
i wish there was info on the engineers that designed this model and if they ended up with Marantz? Makes one wonder... superb sounding unit with 7591s...

Back
Top Bottom