Pilot 252 Receiver

BlackSwamp

Previously DingusBoy
Found this ugly little thing in the basement of the Transitional houses I pretend to be in charge of. I've never heard of Pilot:banana: :grnbounce :grnbounce :banana: :nutz: :lmao:

Web search came up with everything but an audio company. It looks late 70's ish.

Any info would be appreciated. At the same time I don't see it replacing my other stuff real soon.

Pilot was around for many years prior to their SS stuff like yours. I do not think yours would hold much monetary. Their early tube stuff can fetch more then a pretty penny. You can see some of their older gear at www.hifilit.com. just click on the pilot link.

Grumpy

This was around the last harrah for Pilot - they excelled and thrived in the 50s tube era, but never really made the transition successfully into the 70s SS era. I always liked all their stuff, tho.

The early 70s saw the models 253 (35w/ch?) and 252 (25w/ch?) - I remember them from my Best Products store visits back then...they were contemporaries of the KLH 52/55 receiver series (1972-75) and Pioneer SX x2x series receivers.

I have one 252 in hand, and another in transit. If anyone has any literature on them - beyond my heresay and faulty memories above - I'd be very grateful as well.

the best pilots (of the tube era) are supposed to be the pilot 232 power amp (6bq5), the pilot 260 (el34),... this are supposed to be some of the best vintage tube amps ever.

.. i think the pilot 245 is an integrated version of the 232

i'm more than satisfied with my 2 pilot aa-903 mono integrateds (6v6gt / 12ax7)

I recall a buddy that bought a Pilot "rack" system in the late 70's at Woolco. Everything was permanantly mounted in a wood rack and it was one huge component but the faceplates were designed to make it look like a matched high-end Kenwood separate system. The dead givaway was a common BSR changer mounted in the top. Is this the same Pilot?

Sadly, probably so. By the late 70's they were reduced to all in one compact systems, before fading completely away. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom