Pilot 602m restoration

arranb

Arranb
Hello, I am new at the restoration of vintage receivers but have found a new addiction worth having! I have this Pilot 602m that works and sounds great but I have to turn the balance further one way to equal the sound. I cleaned all the tube pins sockets and pots with deoxit. I'm pretty sure everything is original. Looking forward to enjoying this receiver for years to come.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 72
Looks like a good candidate for restoration.
I would recommend you don't run it anymore until you replace coupling caps, rebuild the power supply and check out resistors and test the tubes.
Unrestored Pilots, and others, are known to self destruct pretty quickly without some basic updating of critical components.
As for the balance problem, that will be easier to track down once the basic overhaul is complete. Too many variables before that's done.
That being said, lots of people here have had Pilot gear and will be happy to help you along.

You're going to love that Pilot. I have the 602A, in console format.

It is a listening experience unique amongst all the gear in this room. :music:

I have a 602 M -Its one of the best sets you will ever hear . I have this and a Pilot Mono console . The amp in the 602 is of a Williamson design and there a a Sam's photo fact on this . Once you get it up and running make certain that you balance the output tubes. Pilot called it "simpla-matic" best using a meter and read 0 volts across the connectors . When balanced , the bass is super articulate and the rest is clear as a bell . Enjoy!

When I totally re-capped mine I checked all the kidney bean caps in the chassis and 95% of them were leaky. Most were in spec for capacitance, but leaked AC.

L.D.

Amazing bass from those puny output transformers. My 402 has a clear, delightful sound quality that really turns my head.

Hard to describe.

I used orange drops & JJ filter caps.

I had a 602 and it was the best 6BQ5 amp/reciever I've owed. Still miss it. Good luck. I used mostly Illinois caps when I redid mine.

I thought the Illinois caps worked really well in the Pilot. Others here like them too. There were times the wife and I sat there listening and just went WOW. It was hooked to Heresy's while not my favorite that Pilot made them sing

When I totally re-capped mine I checked all the kidney bean caps in the chassis and 95% of them were leaky. Most were in spec for capacitance, but leaked AC.

L.D.
I know this is picky but the concept is the coupling capacitor blocks DCV from the previous stage and passes signal which is AC. Sort of the opposite of PS caps which filter AC and outputs a pure DCV or as close to nil as you would want.

I know this is picky but the concept is the coupling capacitor blocks DCV from the previous stage and passes signal which is AC. Sort of the opposite of PS caps which filter AC and outputs a pure DCV or as close to nil as you would want.

Yeah, I was wondering if I had it right when I was typing it out. Thanks for the correction.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom