Pilot Light Ideas

WntrMute2

I am finishing up my 300b monoblocks and am looking for a pilot light. I moved the power switch from the front to the side to avoid running ac power from the back to the switch in the front and back to the PT. Now I am left with a 1/2 inch hole in the front. I'd like to find a pilot light that I could run off the 5V or 6.3V at the tube heaters. I can't find something appropriate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. A vintage look would be ideal

Mount a diffused, wide-angle, white LED in a vintage jeweled lamp housing. Or use LED bulb in that housing.

I am finishing up my 300b monoblocks and am looking for a pilot light. I moved the power switch from the front to the side to avoid running ac power from the back to the switch in the front and back to the PT. Now I am left with a 1/2 inch hole in the front. I'd like to find a pilot light that I could run off the 5V or 6.3V at the tube heaters. I can't find something appropriate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. A vintage look would be ideal

Nothing screams vintage like a neon bulb pilot light, but you would then have AC at the front again.:dunno:

Well there's there's this Lumex LXR4915SID-150 at Mouser, but you would have to enlarge the hole a bit. Other LED colors and fixture finishes may be available.

You might also consider using a VCC HMC461RTP (red) lens ass'y, with whatever you want for illumination mounted backside. Other lens colors are available. VCC makes a compatible LED mount, but you're not compelled to use it.

Last edited:
Easy to open up the hole with a step-bit. The vintage style need a hole about 0.680". I have some neons that snap into a 1/2" hole, also some blue incandescents but they're 12V, may be kinda dim.

On cathode biased amps, I have been using a led and resistor across the cathode resistor, it lights as the output tube starts to draw current,it works for a power and HV indicator in one.I adjust the resistor to set the brightness of the LED
IMG_20180214_163532935.jpg

you could try an LED, wire a diode and dropping resistor (from AC volts to DC diode voltage),
shrink wrap the whole thing and mount in off-the-shelf or custom mounting (there are LED
snap in flush mounts for T5 (as I recall) LEDs. or do the diode/resistor/cap at the transformer
heater taps, and string LED/cable out to the front panel.

Back
Top Bottom