Pilot stereo console Identification help

mcoluccio

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy this pilot console but I don't know what model it is or what model the components are. The current owner is an older gentleman who can't check the back of the unit since it's so heavy. All I have is this picture of the unit and the model of the am/fm tuner which he say's is labeled model SA 505 . Can anyone tell help? I can't find a comparable unit anywhere.

Thank you for your time! console.jpg stereo.jpg

Matthew

I can't say for sure but I'm guessing that there is likely a model 505 amp inside that is separate from the preamp and tuner section. I pulled a model 500 amp from a much larger console years ago and the 505 is essentially the same amp. If so, it's PP 6BQ5s with a pair of 12AX7s and a 5AR4 rectifier. These are excellent little amps, mini versions of the famous SA-232.

Of course it could be something different but I'd suggest that you check it out. Pilot gear is very will made and, even if it's something different that what I described, I'd buy it if it's stereo and the price isn't too high.

I can't say for sure but I'm guessing that there is likely a model 505 amp inside that is separate from the preamp and tuner section. I pulled a model 500 amp from a much larger console years ago and the 505 is essentially the same amp. If so, it's PP 6BQ5s with a pair of 12AX7s and a 5AR4 rectifier. These are excellent little amps, mini versions of the famous SA-232.

Of course it could be something different but I'd suggest that you check it out. Pilot gear is very will made and, even if it's something different that what I described, I'd buy it if it's stereo and the price isn't too high.

Thank you for the info! I'm on the fence about purchasing it at the moment. I think he's asking above value.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents but I think the price is a bit high for an unrestored 505. This may get bumped to D&S with value discussion.

I'd pick up Pilot gear in any condition....pretty much. I know price is a factor.

IMO it is a mid to early 1950's piece... And it is Mono.

Here is an example of a later period similar piece...a Mono Model PT 1030 D

s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

Last edited:
If FlaCharlie is right and there is a Stereo 500 or 505...hidden in the console, that makes it much more desirable!

They look like this....

1_418372b1d1314af500db12f0f4fbc36a.jpg

I looked around and found these pics. A Pilot model P-1060. Looks very similar to your pic but has the solid metal knobs...so more recent manufacturing....

By the looks of this, it could be a Stereo piece.

s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg

I looked around and found these pics. A Pilot model P-1060. Looks very similar to your pic but has the solid metal knobs...so more recent manufacturing....

By the looks of this, it could be a Stereo piece.

View attachment 1255399 View attachment 1255400

Yeah, based on the faceplate I'll bet that's what's in there. Definitely stereo and, hard to tell from the pic but, looks like the output transformers are the same as those in the 232. They definitely look bigger than the ones in the 500 / 505. I'd have a hard time passing that up.

Back
Top Bottom