Pinch rollers for a Yamaha K-1020

Tom Blasing

My beloved K-1020 is mangeling a couple expensive TDK MA-90's (I still have a couple more cases ). There isn't a bird's nest type of a wad that's normal to be seen when a tape is eaten, but it's a very consistant diagonal fold about every 1/2". I'm suspecting that this is the same as the circumferance as the pinch rollers.

I already fixed the idler gear buildup of rubber that results in slow RW/FF

I can most likely put the rollers in myself but I need a place to get them from.

Any clues??

Have you tried the parts dept. at Yamaha Electronics in Buena Park, Ca.? They had belts and idler tires for my K-1020 about a year ago.

Fellow AKr, Terry Witt (do a search of the threads for email and web addresses) can make you just about any roller you need. You will need to go to his web site, and fill out his form, then send your old roller to him with the form. He will remove your old roller, and put new rubber on and ship it back to you, good as new (maybe better).

He has made some 30 rollers for me (R2R and cassette), and has never failed to satisfy...

Enjoy,
Rich P

The K-1020 is a nice deck...especially for the dbx encoded tapes! My 1020 now needs warm-up time for the motors before it will properly advance the tape. In reading your post, perhaps it's time to service this beauty...good luck with yours and thanks (from me as well) for the info on the roller-maker.

Cheers!

Yes, Terry Witt -- excellent craftsman. But first try Yamaha in Buena Park.

The creasing of the tape is very common. This is caused by a bias or eccentricity in the shape of the rollers which tries to throw or "skew" the tape inward or outward, and off the virtual track it should hold to between roller and capstan.

I have a clever device called a "mirror cassette" which actually allows a technician to SEE the skewing.

Creasing the tape is truly an AWFUL thing, and nearly always a new or rebuilt pinch roller will fix the problem.

Good luck with your machine: it's a nice one. If you are placing an order to Yamaha, you should also order up a full set of belts (if available).

Fred Longworth
StereoTech Classic Audio Repair
http://www.repairaudio.com

Slow FF/RW

I have just picked up a KX-1200U. It plays excelant but the FF/RW is virtually non existant I hear the motor spin and the tape moves ever so slowly then stops. Where does the rubber build up at? :scratch2:

Chazzer said:
I have just picked up a KX-1200U. It plays excelant but the FF/RW is virtually non existant I hear the motor spin and the tape moves ever so slowly then stops. Where does the rubber build up at? :scratch2:

If your is built the same way the 1020 is there is a door in between the two spindles that can be taken out after removign a phillips head screw or two that hold it in. You can see the door as you open the cassette door to load or unload a tape.

Behind the spindle door is a swinging pendulum (sp?) type of gear that alternates between the right and left spindle when FF or RW is pushed. THAT gear's teeth is usually filled up with rubber scraped away from the rubber wheel it touches when its engaged. I just cleaned mine out with a Q-Tip and some alchohol.

I took mine to a shop for the same problem before I did this and all they did was put new belts in it. It helped a little but it was still not nearly as fast as when I first bought it.

Yea, the spelling stinks above but it's late, I'm tired and there's so much more to be done. (Diamonds are Forever??)

Back
Top Bottom