Pink Floyd DSOTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbowli

Would like to know how the 2016 remaster compares to an original pressing. Reason I ask is that I have an original,3rd pressing from about 1977. Have had it since I was about 14 or 15. It is beginning to show its age. Have plenty of record stores in my area that deal in used vinyl, however all used copies are in worse shape than mine and come at a premium price. Am not interested in the Mofi reissue that came out in the 80’s .

Personally, I have been very happy with the new Pink Floyd reissues. Since start of the releases, I have picked up most of them. I passed on Atom Heart Mother and A Collection of Great Dance Songs since I already very good examples of each. I just picked up Pulse today and am listening to it as I type this.

That said...

I do not have an early release of DSOTM to compare with. I do have the 30th Anniversary release which is decent (but not awesome). Both the 30yr and 2016 releases are pretty close to each other. The new DSOTM is one of the very few that did not overly impress me but I was not disappointed either (if that makes any sense).

I think it is worth getting the new release. It's that or go on the search for an early release that is in suitable condition. But that rolling dice unless you can listen to it before purchasing.

I had the same issue, the Harvest copy was getting a bit tired. I've also got it on CD and SACD.

2016 release to me is very good, reasonably priced without the crackle and pops. There's been a couple of threads in the music section and just looking around on the web other forums seem to be happy with it.

I also have the SACD and new release, I think you'll be happy, my original was played on some rather dubious equipment back in the day and we weren't all that finicky about record care at 15 lol.

I really like the DSOTM SACD.

And I think this thread should be moved out of turntables and into the music forum.

I had a 1970s Harvest pressing and in my opinion the 2016 remaster is superior. By a lot.
Harvest was pressed in the US by Capitol, and Capitol's QC back in the '70s was poor. If everything else was equal, the remaster would win on pressing quality alone, but the remaster sounds better in every other way as well.

I really like the DSOTM SACD.

And I think this thread should be moved out of turntables and into the music forum.

We talk about record quality and records in the turntable forum.

Music is the music forum, to discuss artist and types, media is irrelevant there.

As far as the DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH the mastering for 2016 is the same as the 2011 up to 2016. In fact they where using the same stampers and just scratched the metal parts with the new barcode for 2016. Devision Bell was mastered in 2014 and so the same thing goes for the 2016 issues.

However the packaging changed as far as cheapness and credits. They don't give you the downloads and all the posters/inserts for the 2016 copies.

I'll post the Barcode for the issues just prior to 2016 later. Also in 2013 they started to add a sticker saying 40th anniversary to the same record, these tend to go for more if still in shrink, sealed or the sticker to prove it.

First I'll start off by saying that there is no bad sounding DSOTM.....just different degrees of good.
You stated a 3rd issue but gave no mastering info, something I find of great import. There were still double Wally mastered cuts available on the third issue. Yours?

With the newer releases (2011 & 2016) you get digital mastering by James Guthrie. I have not heard the vinyl, just the CD. Going by that, I would look to an all analog cut, but others views may differ.
There are two of the Guthrie mastered reissues, the 2011 cut at TML by Doug Sax and the 2016 cut by Bernie Grundman at his studio. I would guess the subtle differences I have read about are due to the different gear used? And they were pressed at different plants.
Anyhoo....my pecking order:

UK pressings (I have a A3/B3) too pricey to be a viable option?
US Wally cuts (the earlier the better, IMO)
MoFi reissue
US issues mastered by either Ken Perry (KP), Gene, or Cole.
30th anniversary issue (actually find it very close to the SACD in sonics)
Have fun with your search!

There are two of the Guthrie mastered reissues, the 2011 cut at TML by Doug Sax and the 2016 cut by Bernie Grundman at his studio.
That is untrue, read my post above.

Here
As far as the DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH the mastering for 2016 is the same as the 2011 up to 2016. In fact they where using the same stampers and just scratched the metal parts with the new barcode for 2016. Devision Bell was mastered in 2014 and so the same thing goes for the 2016 issues.

In fact on these albums, they don't advertise Bernie Grundman at all on the callout stickers like all the other remastered records. It's the same matrix and TML stamp as the previous records. Then you have the fact while the info at the time was obscure, they said they are not remastering records that where already done in the past 5 years. All they did with the above 4 titles was scratch a new barcode in the stampers, and changed the packaging.

Last edited:
That is untrue, read my post above.

Here

In fact on these albums, they don't advertise Bernie Grundman at all on the callout stickers like all the other remastered records. It's the same matrix and TML stamp as the previous records. Then you have the fact while the info at the time was obscure, they said they are not remastering records that where already done in the past 5 years. All they did with the above 4 titles was scratch a new barcode in the stampers, and changed the packaging.

Where is your info coming from?
What I stated is true, based on posters on another forum who own them and the PF discographies forum.
What you stated on the hype stickers was true for 2011 and most 2016 US issues of WYWH, the Euro versions used the BG cuts for 2016.
On WYWH, I now see (for US releases) the PF site is now calling the Sax cut a 2016 and the BG cut a 2017,
A tricky way of getting around the fact that the US market got recycled 2011 cuts at first?

Last edited:
Where is your info coming from?
What I stated is true, based on posters on another forum who own them and the PF discographies forum.
We have posters here also and my info was from hands on of the titles I mentioned. In fact I returned most of the new issues of the records in question. You see If a new record comes out I like I'll buy more than one of them. So when the catalogue came out in 2016 I was doubling up on all of them. We have a thread here on it BTW. When they got to DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH it was clear they didn't remaster and scratched a barcode in the metal stamper. So I returned most of them because I already had at least three of each sealed and a open copy of the prior records.

There is info that Sony put out that they will not remaster any record that was done in the past 5 years. They did repackage them though after pulling and not shipping any of the old records. I was even buying transition records where they didn't have it all together yet and using sticker barcodes over the old records.

What really pissed me off was the removal of credits to Doug Sax because he died in 2015 all the while selling his work. Sony did some shaidy shit with these records and I decided I wouldn't buy anymore of the catalogue that was to be coming out. There was a ton of secrecy then around this and I think it was to deceive buyers (so they buy the new remaster) and cheat Sax out of credits.

Anyway MR slick whilly I'm really burnt out on you MR know it all attitude surrounding records since you came to this site. No one here knows anything but your and other people from other sites. The question would be, why ain't you on those other sites?

On WYWH, I now see (for US releases) the PF site is now calling the Sax cut a 2016 and the BG cut a 2017,
A tricky way of getting around the fact that the US market got recycled 2011 cuts at first?

Ok, I see your edit now, without an apology I might add. I'll stand by my coment you don't think anyone here knows anything.

We have posters here also and my info was from hands on of the titles I mentioned. In fact I returned most of the new issues of the records in question. You see If a new record comes out I like I'll buy more than one of them. So when the catalogue came out in 2016 I was doubling up on all of them. We have a thread here on it BTW. When they got to DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH it was clear they didn't remaster and scratched a barcode in the metal stamper. So I returned most of them because I already had at least three of each sealed and a open copy of the prior records.

There is info that Sony put out that they will not remaster any record that was done in the past 5 years. They did repackage them though after pulling and not shipping any of the old records. I was even buying transition records where they didn't have it all together yet and using sticker barcodes over the old records.

What really pissed me off was the removal of credits to Doug Sax because he died in 2015 all the while selling his work. Sony did some shaidy shit with these records and I decided I wouldn't buy anymore of the catalogue that was to be coming out. There was a ton of secrecy then around this and I think it was to deceive buyers (so they buy the new remaster) and cheat Sax out of credits.

Anyway MR slick whilly I'm really burnt out on you MR know it all attitude surrounding records since you came to this site. No one here knows anything but your and other people from other sites. The question would be, why ain't you on those other sites?

I'll (once again) attempt to overlook the petty personal attacks.....your post was informative ...then you had to do that! A sorta' pot calling the kettle thing as I see it!!!
True they (US) did recycle some/many 2011 Sax cuts as 2016 reissues, no doubt about that! From what I can gather, the other markets got the BG cuts for 2016.
The US market with DSOTM/WYWH/The Wall may/did get 2011 cuts sold as new 2016 issues. But I feel confident that the 2011's (even with scratch outs) still held the TML stamp and the 2016's had the BG etch.
With DB, there appears to not be a BG cut, even though the 2016 hype sticker states otherwise. All were Sax cuts.
Anyway, this is what I believe to be true.
Rock on!

While looking to see when the next batch of titles would be coming out I found out a bit of info. They are not putting a new remastering of the whole catalog, just the ones that haven't been done already in the past 5 or so years.

Pink Floyd look set to complete their vinyl issue campaign as early as July with more 180g reissues on the schedules already including 1977’sAnimals.

Amazon in the UK have listings for Atom Heart Mother (1970), Meddle(1971), Obscured By Clouds (1972), Animals (1977), The Final Cut (1982) and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (1987).

Any album that has already been issued on vinyl in the last five years (The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell) looks to be excluded from this new reissue campaign.

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds will also be issued on 1 July, with the rest slated for release on 29 July 2016.

See below for pre-orders for the first two albums. For Obscured By Clouds and Animals go to this post. You’ll find links for The Final Cutand A Momentary Lapse of Reason here.

Update 2/6/16: Pre-orders for all these reissues removed from Amazon UK. These are being released, but may not now be as soon as July. This page will be updated when updated listings re-emerge.

Update 5/6/16: Now back on Amazon UK!
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/more-pink-floyd-vinyl-reissues/

Pink Floyd vinyl mastering confirmed

SDE has made enquiries about the forthcoming Pink Floyd vinyl reissues with regards to the mastering and whether the vinyl is cut directly from analogue or via digital files…

We can confirm that these vinyl reissues do use brand new remasters from the original analogue tapes, but they are not cut directly from analogue. The vinyl reissues are created from the digital file of the new remaster. This information comes directly from the label, via the PR company.

In other news, all the vinyl reissues which Amazon had listed for July have now been removed from the online retail giant, and while there is no doubt that these are happening, we await further official news with regards to release dates.
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyd-vinyl-mastering-confirmed/

With DB, there appears to not be a BG cut, even though the 2016 hype sticker states otherwise. All were Sax cuts.

DB when it came out in 2014, it was done at TML and I have the Deluxe Box Set and the Record and they are pressed at QRP. I also have a 2016 that I haven't open that gives credit to BG on the sticker. I also posted my comment from another thread that has me coping the Sony info on what they are remastering and not.

Ok, I see your edit now, without an apology I might add. I'll stand by my coment you don't think anyone here knows anything.

Come on 427, an apology was not needed as I did not insult.
On your second point..I actually find you very knowledgeable, just somewhat hot headed and closed minded (we all have our quirks?). I read your posts with interest, soaking in that which I do not know.
But you must also understand that I have been doing this (vinyl) all of my life, with the last 18 years or so as a 'collector' (hate that term) of pressings. That's when I learned that not all are created equally.
Perhaps you should understand that I may have something to bring to the table.....that you are not the sole purveyor of vinyl knowledge?
Come on...try to be nice!!!:beerchug:

To think about it now.....I should have kept all the transition records I had and the goofy packaging with sticker barcodes blocking old ones. The mess Sony made of all this and the confusion they created is the beginning of a collectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom