The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
Artist: Pink Floyd
Title: P U L S E
Released: 2005
Label: Columbia Music
Genre: Rock
Format: CD/DVD-A/DVD

Was in the local music store, And came across this set jammed way in the back of the shelf, For 6 bucks and unopened I figured "How bad can it be". Well, The answer is, It's friggin unbelievable! Having owned "The Wall" for a few years, I never thought about other PF shows on Video. The few I've seen had serious AV issues. PULSE was total sentry overload from the time the avatar hits the screen. Though Waters is MIA, Due to the well documented riff with band members, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. Gilmore/Mason/Wright are here, And they put on a very serious show of musicianship. As all PF fans know, David Gilmore IS PF, And of course the whole concert showcased the mans talent, From beginning to end. Having seen PF twice, And watching hundreds of concert video's, The guitar work on these disc's will take your breath away. I showed this DVD to 10 friends, 5 of which RocknRoll means nothing, And there was stunned silence for 2 hours. Gilmore restored the footage, And produced the 5.1 mix in 2002. This show took place at Earls Court, London, In 1994. I've read the acoustics there is unreal, And it shows here. The tracks are the PF stuff you would expect, With rarely seen videos of "High Hopes" and "Learning To Fly". If you want to impress your friends with some very serious good music, And on the proper TV, Video that will blow you away, Check out this 2 disc set. Or if you just want to be taken away for a couple hours, This will do it.
Following gear used for review;
Samsung LN52A650
Oppo Digital DVD983(5.1 mix through HDMI)
See Sig for Audio stuff.

I gotta get one. I have Pulse video tape and Pulse CD set. I want a DVD version. :yes:

Boring and overproduced.

Syd Barret is Pink.

It's a good demo disc if you want to sell gear, though.

Sorry. Just call me buzzkill.

I love it as well as the CD of the Pulse concert.

As to Gilmour or Syd being Pink Floyd I tend to go a different route. Pink floyd is from 1966 to the present and all is good. Some different then other but it all has value it all stands above the imitators.

I don't care if Saucer Full of Secrets or Division Bell is your favorite album I love them all and have them all along with a long list of Live performance ROIO's and out right bootlegs both on vinyl and CD. And I get more all the time.

I also have almost all the solo work a couple of Rogers are still being looked for.

I like the Floyd.

Boring and overproduced.

Syd Barret is Pink.

It's a good demo disc if you want to sell gear, though.

Sorry. Just call me buzzkill.

Overproduced? Maybe. I think lessons were learned from "The Wall" footage, And audio for that matter. As for the surround mix, I've not heard better for a live audio mix. Yes he went into the studio and tweaked it, But it is perfect in every way. Get your bass management right, Set your levels, And you are there in London. Boring? If that version of "Sorrow"..."One Of These Days".."Speak To Me" can't get you off the couch, It's over.

I have it on LaserDisk. :D One of the first things I watched when I set up the projector for big-screen movies in the living room. I was watching it when my wife walked in. She looked at me, at the screen, back at me... and smiled. Pretty good. :yes:

I have Pulse on Laserdisc, audio cd, and the new dvd.
I'd been waiting years for Pulse to finally come to dvd.
It was supposed to come out sooner, but kept having delays and seemed to be delayed from one year to the next.
The dvd actually came out the day Syd died.

pink_floyd_pulse_cover.jpg

This show took place at Earls Court, London, in 1994.
I lived in London at that time and was lucky enough to attend this very concert at Earl's Court - Pink Floyd puts on an incredible show: Best band ever!

Inspired by this thread, I just listened to my Pulse CD's, and it is very good. Having said that, I am not a big "live album" fan in general, and often prefer the studio versions instead. This would also go for Pink Floyd: But despite being the quintessential "studio group", they do an amazing job live. :music:

... But despite being the quintessential "studio group", they do an amazing job live. :music:

I think you were very lucky to be at that show, live. I have to imagine it when watching the LD... not quite the same.

I have to agree with you on the job they do with live performances. Last year I saw the Roger Waters and friends live concert version of DSOTM...not even the full/original PF, but I was quite impressed with how much of what I thought could only be done in a studio, they managed to perform live, and still have it sound extremely like the studio version!

Of course, even with many of the same visual effects added, the indoor and lower-budget (because of smaller crowd size, too) version fell a bit short of the full impact of the kind of huge-scale show recorded on Pulse... but it captured the general feeling, quite well.

Would be nice to see all the surviving members get back together and perform a live tour again with the same scale of show as their original shows, something like the Led Zep tour... but I don't think it will happen. :no: :sigh: Still, the "pseudo" or "partial" PF shows are still quite good. :yes:

This is one of my favorite (if not favorite) of all my concert DVDs since I picked it up about 10 years ago (foreign import). I prefer the US release that came out a couple of years ago better though as it has additional stuff on it. When you turn it up it makes you feel like you are there. Peter Gabriel's 'Secret World Live' is the same way. Great stuff!

have the DVD version, got it at Fry's. Yes, definitely overproduced... Still, once you're stoned...

Always liked the CD. Had the flashing redlight which was annoying. Finally died. Took the battery out so it wouldn't leak all over.

Bought the DVD. I would agree that in some parts it is overproduced when all I want is to see more of the band playing. But that is part of the PF Experience. The women in the chorus are cool watching them do their moves and staying in synch -- funny what catches your focus.

have the DVD version, got it at Fry's. Yes, definitely overproduced... Still, once you're stoned...
The video is the best you can get since it was shot on video instead of film :(
I wasn't entirely impressed with the 5.1 surround mix. I've actually made my own pseudo mix from the cd and it sounded better.
But again it is the best that we can get from the original source.

I lived in London at that time and was lucky enough to attend this very concert at Earl's Court - Pink Floyd puts on an incredible show: Best band ever!

Inspired by this thread, I just listened to my Pulse CD's, and it is very good. Having said that, I am not a big "live album" fan in general, and often prefer the studio versions instead. This would also go for Pink Floyd: But despite being the quintessential "studio group", they do an amazing job live. :music:

It must of been amazing live. On the DVD, The stage looks huge, Looked like alot of thought went into the whole production, Lighting, Effects, Video, Lasers. Also the crew who shot the video really choose there shots effectively. I don't know how the original release was sound wise, But this version is one of the best multi-channel DVD's I've heard. Even in stereo. And I own over 250 SACD's/DVD-A's/Concert DVD's. A nice memory you have. That was lightning in a bottle, And probably won't happen again. At least we have this, Better than nothing.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom