• Roger Waters

Votes: 49 12.8%
  • I don't like Pink Floyd!

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Who's Pink Floyd?

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Undecided, I like both Equally

Votes: 75 19.5%
  • What's Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett?

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
Glad to see this thread is still alive!!! Lots of Floyd fans out there, and there's at least a cut,, if not a complete album for everyone...

saw them in june of 1975, they both were great together, I still rate it one of the best concerts I saw. so many people, soooo mellow,

Depends on what you want. Gilmour the musician, or Waters the showman. I prefer Gilmour. Just seems to make better music to me. IMHO

I don't think I've posted in this thread before even though I voted (Gilmour) so I'll add my two cents. I came into Floyd kinda backwards. Aside from the ubiquitous "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" I don't think I'd really heard any Floyd until Jr. High when I got a copy of "Momentary Lapse of Reason". I loved that album but didn't have the resources we do now adays so didn't really expand my Floyd horizons till much later. My exposure leaned very heavily post Waters until a good bit after that when I got Dark Side and The Wall. I'm only now really exploring some of the other early stuff. Due to that I am a HUGE fan of Gilmour's guitar work and also enjoy listening to him on Vocal. I like Waters just fine but I don't have the same love for him that I do Gilmour.

Just as an interesting data point, my PF full album exposure probably went in this order:
MLOR, Wall, DSOT, Divison Bell, DSOTM, Pulse, WYWH, Meddle, Saucerful, Animals, Endless Rivers, More Relics
I have yet to hear PATGOD, Ummagumma, AHM, Obscured by Clouds or Final Cut
Don't waste your time on the Final Cut.:no:

Don't waste your time on the Final Cut.:no:

Funny you should make that reply now. I just saw an advertisement on TV last night that the Roger Waters tour is coming to Houston. I love PF but a lot of the Waters stuff I heard sounded like someone else doing PF songs (due to the lack of Gilmour and Wright I'm sure). Anybody have any feedback on his current tour (or previous ones)?

As far as Final Cut, I think I read other people also say it wasn't worth it. Given that I'll probably listen first rather than just buy it. I saw it at Half Price Books a while back and considered getting it but I think I talked myself out of it after reading reviews but I'm not 100% sure. There is a chance it could already be hiding in my "not listened to yet" shelf..lol.

I like the fact that, until very recently, Gilmour solo material featured Phil Manzanera (of Roxy Music fame)
as second guitarist, and I have enjoyed Phil's playing since I first heard him in the early 70s ...

I voted Gilmore, but have to agree with so many previous posters that PF was definitely made from the combination of Gilmore and Waters. I wonder how much my vote was influenced by Waters being such a total %@#&!^! to his fellow bandmates and with his rather extreme political views. Both were/are extremely talented individuals.

Digging up this slightly old thread...

I heard a version of Roger Waters doing "Wish You Were Here" on the radio this morning, I guess it was from one of his recent shows. It was HORRIBLE! The vocals were almost spoken not sung, and even then they sounded off-key, not sure if it was Waters or not. Two gratuitous saxophone solos, the backing vocals sounded like gospel, and there was this awful jangley steel guitar in the background.

Where is the puke emoticon when I need it?

Lee.

I just saw RW on the Us and Them tour. It was crazy good and was the best sounding show I've ever heard at the SAP center in San Jose.

So no ...that recording was probably not from the current tour. I would think it is probably from one of the, too many, Floyd tribute bands trying in vain not to butcher the music.

RW has a very high quality production going and can fill up a stadium like nobody's business.

The last three times I saw him the sound and the music was spot on. Of course there are some tiny changes because of the different line up.

If you go as a fan and music lover rather than as a critic you will have a wonderful time.

PS. The way he did the surround sound at the stadium was the bomb. :thumbsup:

Rogers ego was the villain in the past but he is a great musician and deserves much credit for the Wall, especially. Still, Gilmour all day for me.

I also saw Roger on his tour this summer, and I agree, the show was terrific. Roger has a great touring band, and the production values are the best I've ever experienced at a large-arena rock concert. I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said, aside from the stage show, I thought the music was better at David Gilmour's tour last year. The two concerts featured a LOT of the same songs, and so the comparison is inevitable. Given that the two of them weren't together on the stage at the same time, regrettably, I give the nod to Gilmour's show for music, and to Roger's for "overall experience", although both were excellent on each department, and both very enjoyable.

I too am "Gilmour all day long" - and I thought Gilmour's last album was pretty good, whereas Roger's was not. But both put on very enjoyable live shows in which one gets to revel in Pink Floyd ;)

I don't think it is Pink Floyd unless both are in the band, otherwise it is Gilmour and Waters

Maybe im swimming against the tide but i wonder if Gilmour could write such a devastating album as Waters"Amused To Death"?
l like them both but i havent heard anything from Gilmour that approaches the resonance and power of that album.

So no ...that recording was probably not from the current tour. I would think it is probably from one of the, too many, Floyd tribute bands trying in vain not to butcher the music

It was definitely Waters, unless the DJ said "this is Roger Waters from his show last.." just to throw us off the scent. And personally, I would rather go and see "The Machine" than Roger Waters any day of the week. Much lower ticket prices, smaller venues getting you closer to the music and musicians. Last time I saw them, they played DSOTM, WYWH and Animals from start to finish without taking a break.

Lee.

DSOTM is genius by anybody's rubric. I like WYWH, but I think the bloom was off of that Rose by the time of the Wall. Some good tunes and fabulous Orchestrations by Michael Kamen, but from there on out (until about the time of Division Bell) it seems like they went back to the "damaged youth" well too often. Division Bell is a favorite also. I guess that means I'm stuck with preferring Gilmour. But without Rogers DSOTM (and WYWH) wouldn't exist either.

I'm tempted to use the Richard Wright escape clause.....lol....

It was definitely Waters, unless the DJ said "this is Roger Waters from his show last.." just to throw us off the scent. And personally, I would rather go and see "The Machine" than Roger Waters any day of the week. Much lower ticket prices, smaller venues getting you closer to the music and musicians. Last time I saw them, they played DSOTM, WYWH and Animals from start to finish without taking a break.

Lee.

I hear what your saying but I spent something like $140.00 for each ticket to see The Wall and the Us and Them tours.

I felt I got every penny's worth the way he did the production and the sound quality. Not easy to do at these venues so I see nothing wrong with him getting his money back for all the money they had to invest up front in these shows to make them so phenomenal.

The best Floyd tribute band that I've seen is Aussie/Brit Floyd which did an excellent job but they did not hold a candle to the Gilmour or Waters shows. YMMV ;)

Roger has guts too-he stands up for what he believes in and consequently takes a lot of flak.Think G spends most of his time in his beach hut now hes given up live work.....

Back
Top Bottom