PIO PL 570 tone arm question

mizmazzle

hey everyone. Just had my new pl 570 delivered to my door. Holy crap is it nice. Haven't set it up yet but had a tone are question. The seller did an amazing job packing this thing. Took me like an hour to un box it all. My question is the rear part of the tone arm seems bent down a bit. I was hoping some peeps with this table could chime in. It has a cupling right there. Owners manual shows it pretty straight though. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5570.JPG
    IMG_5570.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
It may have gotten bent at one time or another. The coupling Nut on the top is for the lateral weight arm. Do the gimbal bearings feel ok??? If it's smooth, fine. Not sure if that part is a stub separate from the front part of the arm, or the tube goes all the way thru. It may be possible to VERY VERY Carefully tweak it back to level or just leave it as is. The main weight should function normally on the shaft. Another Question: Is the rubber piece at the gimbal housing an o-ring to keep the main weight from slamming into it, or is it a sleeve that the stub slides into? The stub going 1/2way into the gimbal mount, with holes lined up for the lateral mount and it's tightening nut?

If it were mine and everything else on the arm functions correctly (including the main weight) I wouldn't really worry about the slight bend.

It may have gotten bent at one time or another. The coupling Nut on the top is for the lateral weight arm. Do the gimbal bearings feel ok??? If it's smooth, fine. Not sure if that part is a stub separate from the front part of the arm, or the tube goes all the way thru. It may be possible to VERY VERY Carefully tweak it back to level or just leave it as is. The main weight should function normally on the shaft. Another Question: Is the rubber piece at the gimbal housing an o-ring to keep the main weight from slamming into it, or is it a sleeve that the stub slides into? The stub going 1/2way into the gimbal mount, with holes lined up for the lateral mount and it's tightening nut?

If it were mine and everything else on the arm functions correctly (including the main weight) I wouldn't really worry about the slight bend.

Thanks for the response. Where are the gimbal bearings?
The rear part looks separate from the main tone arm and the coupling is flush with the shaft. Meaning it doesn't block the passage of the counter weight. I think you're right about not messing with it. I've very gently tried to straighten it. Not sure if that part of the tone arm even affects resonance since it seems separate from the rest of the tone arm.

Thanks for the response. Where are the gimbal bearings?
The rear part looks separate from the main tone arm and the coupling is flush with the shaft. Meaning it doesn't block the passage of the counter weight. I think you're right about not messing with it. I've very gently tried to straighten it. Not sure if that part of the tone arm even affects resonance since it seems separate from the rest of the tone arm.

It could jus be the compression of rubber insert .

Loosen it and rotate it 180 degrees and see if that would help the appearance. :idea:

Upon reading this thread I went and checked mine too. Sure enough it has that same "bent" appearance. That rear part seems to be a separate part with a rubber compression ring. You can rotate it somewhat, but I wasn't game to try and pull on it. There is some wiggle room up and down courtesy of that rubber ring and I was able to kind of straighten it somewhat.
It doesn't affect anything so I'll just leave it until I know a bit more about it. I tried looking it up in the user manual, but there is no mention of it specifically.

20170402_091331.jpg

Upon reading this thread I went and checked mine too. Sure enough it has that same "bent" appearance. That rear part seems to be a separate part with a rubber compression ring. You can rotate it somewhat, but I wasn't game to try and pull on it. There is some wiggle room up and down courtesy of that rubber ring and I was able to kind of straighten it somewhat.
It doesn't affect anything so I'll just leave it until I know a bit more about it. I tried looking it up in the user manual, but there is no mention of it specifically.

View attachment 901066

Hey thanks AA...that's exactly what I was looking for. I've never seen this table in real life until unboxing my "new" 570. I was just concerned that the tone arm might have been compromised. That coupling is an interesting feature. I'm thinking it might isolate the counterbalance from the rest of the arm. You say your TT sounds nice than I think I'll let this issue go. I wanted to get some input before making a follow up communication to the eBay seller. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom