Pioneer 701 Slow Running

SteveMurphy

I have a chance at purchasing a F2F, but it has some issues. Have always wanted setup like this. I didn't want to pull the trigger unless there is a good chance I can fix it. So here are the problems:

Tape counter doesn't move (bad belt?)

Fast forward and rewind work extremely fast, but if you hit the play you get very slow and intermittent slow speeds. Sometimes it stops. After playing around with it for a few minutes, it would slowly turn, but the spped would change...pushing the speed buttons did nothing at all. I didn't try playing with the pitch control. I do see output on both left&right meters. This thing is just super super slow way less than 3.75 ips and with variations in speed.

So I would love to get this, but only if the experts here think its doable. I have soldiering skills and a dmm, but this thing scares me a bit and is far more complex then an old receiver.

Any advice? Should I pull the trigger at $80?

Hi,

the RT701 is the RT707s little brother. It only plays in one direction and the option to record on one channel only is not there. Other than that they are pretty much the same. If the machine works apart from speed issues then $80 for a machine of the 701s class is a steal. You need to judge if there are any other issues. The problem may only be dirty connections and switches. Search elsewhere on AK, there are loads of threads concerning this machine. You need to find out what condition the heads are in. There are photos of heads in good condition in other threads. Do a bit of research first.

If you do decide to take the plunge then there is a good chance that you will own a sturdy, quality recorder which will serve you well and blow your socks off when you hear it's capabilities for yourself.

GPS16

Well, so it begins. I dropped $80. Bought 2 cans of compressed air and got out the Noxon 7 and deoxit, paper towels, q-tips, etc., etc. Here are some pics....its got about 1/4" of dust and dust bunnies in every corner.

Attachments

• 0218171230.jpg
    0218171230.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 44
So I'm cleaning and cleaning and cleaning some more. Not to sure about the switch openings to get the deoxit in. Looks like some white access plastic strips behind faceplate...at least it appears that fluid made its way into the switch. Gave every switch a good 40-50 on and off pushes.

Being very ignorant on r2r systems, I have noticed that the tension roller spins freely and the pinch roller is tight like its a motor or something...is this correct or should both roll freely?

I also see where the belt came off the tape counter. The rubber belt looks e freely brittle. Can someone point me to where I can find a replacement?

The pinch roller is the rubber-coated wheel, on the right side of the 701/707. That must be able to spin freely. The capstan, which is metal and motor driven, makes contact with the pinch roller with the tape between them. Both must be totally clean. You can use Head cleaner on the capstan, but you need pinch roller cleaner for the roller, since it's the rubber that must be cleaned. You don't want it to be slipppery either!

The thing that looks like a pinch roller on the left side of the tape path on a 701/707 is hard plastic, not rubber, and is just part of the tape guide - it doesn't drive anything.

The pinch roller is the rubber-coated wheel, on the right side of the 701/707. That must be able to spin freely. The capstan, which is metal and motor driven, makes contact with the pinch roller with the tape between them. Both must be totally clean. You can use Head cleaner on the capstan, but you need pinch roller cleaner for the roller, since it's the rubber that must be cleaned. You don't want it to be slipppery either!

The thing that looks like a pinch roller on the left side of the tape path on a 701/707 is hard plastic, not rubber, and is just part of the tape guide - it doesn't drive anything.

So its up and running!!! After a good cleaning/deoxing and pulling and relubing the pinch and tension rollers everything works. I cleaned all 3 heads and demagnetized them. I'm listening to a copy of Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord" right now. I'm Not sure if its the tape or something that is wrong with the deck, but high freqs on the left channel are reduced. Also, the high end will occasionally drop out noticeably on both channels for a second and then return...strange.

Attachments

• 0218171653.jpg
    0218171653.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 20
Glad it's working! What you are describing above actually sounds like that tape may have some issues. The 701/707 are great decks - hope you continue to enjoy it :)

Glad it's working! What you are describing above actually sounds like that tape may have some issues. The 701/707 are great decks - hope you continue to enjoy it :)

So I purchased a sealed box maxell UD 35-90 tape to play around with recording. I set the bias and eq according to the manuals suggested setting which is both set to standard not LH. The left channel is very dirty/hissy...right channel is nice.

I'm playing through newly acquired Pioneer Spec 1 preamp.

I was copying some David Bowie from Tidal to the player on the new tape. Adjusted inputs to keep needles from spiking ( from 3 to 0 as manual states). When I hit source I can hear Tidal streaming, when I hit "Tape" its silent. I kept it in "Source" throughout the entire recording session. When I rewinded and played the tape back, I got nothing...zero recording. I'm hoping this is newbie error and I'm just being a dumbass. Hoping the record head isn't shot.

So does it sound like this needs a recap? Again, right channel sounds great, left channel not so much; noise, dirty, and hiss.

I might also add that to get the recording levels in optimum range, right and left "line" levels need to be increased up to 8 each which seemed like a lot.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

-Steve

I don't believe the RT-701 has Rec Mode push buttons like the RT-707 has.

Yes, the 701 does have push buttons and I depressed both simultaneously...I don't think the rec button will push in unless you depress it at the same time as the play button.

I don't believe the RT-701 has Rec Mode push buttons like the RT-707 has.

Ahhhh, right you are. Only on the 707.

Yes, the 701 does have push buttons and I depressed both simultaneously...I don't think the rec button will push in unless you depress it at the same time as the play button.

Since the 701 does not have the Rec mode buttons that the 707 does, seems like you did it right. Not sure what the issue is.

Hi Steve,

we are now in the no mans land between the 701 and the 707. As yet I have never seen the circuit for a 701. I know that it will be similar but what the differences are......

First things first. In the photo of the machine internals, the PCB which is on the LHS of the photo has a relay on it. This should be the Rec Relay and should change state when the machine is recording. This should visibly change state and the associated click should be audible. When stop is pressed the relay should drop out after a short delay.

Is there any action?

GPS16

GPS16 - Here are the schematics for the Function Switch Assemblies for the RT-701 and RT-707 if these will be of any help.

RT-701 Function Switch Assembly.jpgRT-707 Function Switch Assembly.jpg

Back
Top Bottom