1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer A-71

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jobrewer1983, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi All,

Hope all is well, It’s been a good while since I’ve been on the site. Work has me super busy. Nonetheless, I’m here, and wanted to share/ask a few questions about an amp I'm going to go pick up this evening. As with most of my finds, I have to drive a good few hours. This one is worth the drive!

The amp is a Pioneer Elite A-71. I will provide pictures tonight, or Monday. The unit is in perfect cond., with the box. The cond. in the pictures posted looks new. Inside and out. This deal is a trade for a set of JBL’s I have sitting in storage, so it’s actually helping me clear out some gear, and letting the JBL’s sing again.

I am somewhat of a Pioneer Nut, I’ve owned and recapped my SX-1250 (Build documented on AK), recently let my SX-1010 go to a loving home. Have owned many of the x50 series, and the QX-9000… ect… I'm a Pio freak..

With that said, I do realize the A-71 is somewhat rare. I have listened to the 717, and from what I have read it’s basically the same amp. For my sake I hope so, because the 717 I listened to was pretty nice, and was built like a monster.

My questions: Can anyone tell me the specs on the A-71? Or can someone let me know where I can find the user manual and service manual?

Some sites say its 120WPC and others say 100WPC. I can’t seem to find the specs on HiFi Engine for the A-71, just the 717. I would assume it’s the same manual, but I don’t know that to be 100% accurate information.

I will be running the set up with a Dual CS-5000/Shure M91-ed cart, and a set of M&K satellite 2B’s. While I do like my Shure cart, I know the A-71 has MM and a MMC setting. Can anyone recommend a good MMC cartridge for my set up? Budget $150-200.00 USD.

I would also like to see if any other users own one, or have owned one? If so, any pro’s/con’s. Any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read all that… any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jobrewer1983

Why?

I asked for a recommendation on a cart? What in this thread would warrant it to go to dollars and sense? I'm not asking value of anything. Nor am I stating the value. I can repost in the pioneer thread, but really nothing in this post would warrant it to go to dollars and sense.

I think you should read the post... or do a better job of reading it. If you feel it needs to be moved.. by all means move it.

This is the one reason I chose not to subscribe anymore, I love the site, but really its folks who monitor the site for crap like this.

3. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

Nightwisher likes this.
  4. jobrewer1983

"Anytime asking prices belongs there:"

Anytime? Do you mean Anywhere there are asking prices?

Where do you see asking prices? You seem to not understand, I guess being 55 has got your old thinker not working so well...

"Rules ya know"

yes I know... Rules, can you let me know what rule I'm breaking? Actually, Its fine.

The funny thing is reported your dumb ass... and the reason was for being "out of your mind" ;)

Thanks Durmbum,

I've seen Botrytis posts in the past... he is a bit off his game. either way I know the post is correct and has nothing to do with dollars and since.

5. jobrewer1983

OH Man, How about that! :)

Good to find you on AK as well!

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the info! Ill be sure to post some pix tonight, I'm pretty excited about this one. :

6. jobrewer1983

Hi again,

Just a a few pictures. So far so good!

Need to wipe the thing down, has a lot of finger prints on it. Great cond. and the sound is nice and clean, the phono stage is really clean. It has a lot of power, plenty for the small size speakers it's driving.

I'll have a few more pix Monday once I get it all set up.

Thanks all!

John

Attached Files:

Nightwisher likes this.

7. drumbum

drumbum Super Member

NICE!

8. jobrewer1983

Thanks Drumbum. :)

Hi All,

Looks like someone cleaned up the thread, thank you for doing that!

Ok, on to my Review.

For starters, if you are a fan of the vintage monster receivers, this integrate is roughly the size of some of the larger “monster” receivers. For me, I have a rack in storage that was built for the larger equipment. I'm now working on reconfiguring our living room so that I can try to squeeze the rack in. I currently have it set up on our TV stand, the amp hangs over the front of the stand a little, but overall not a bad fit. I say that to explain the size of the unit, it’s larger, and has a larger foot print than other amps.

The design & Build:

The quality this thing oozes is ridiculous. The high gloss face plate is beautiful. I originally thought the knobs were plastic… Nope, solid aluminum. A lot of good functions, enough inputs for all your devices. While I did not remove the grill on this unit yet, you can see that the build quality is next to none. The transformer covers, and solid copper screws throughout, just screams quality.

The sound quality:

It’s hard to describe sound in a written forum, but I’ll give it a go… The A-71 has a lot of nice clean power. The lower end is not over done, nice smooth clean tight lower end but also not lacking in any manner. The upper range is nice and clean as well. When using the phono stage, the amp has great filtration. It gets rid of a lot of pops and clicks that other amps miss. I have not had the opportunity to test out the TT with a MMC or MM yet, but I will be tracking down a new cart for this set up in the next few weeks. Overall a great clean sound, extremely detailed, and not too harsh. I am very happy with the sound output of this amp, it sounds great at low volumes as well, truly a work of Pioneer art.

The one minor issue is the lack of banana plug binding posts. I assumed that the binding posts were female banana plug posts, they are not. The good thing about the binding posts is that it will accept my true 12AWG cabling. I’ve yet to own an amp that will take this cabling. I actually like that I can connect it direct to wire, and it’s a nice clean fit.. That is why I posted the picture of the binding posts in previous post. So while it may be an issue for others, I actually like that Pioneer has oversized connections that I can run direct with.

My overall opinion:

It’s a great amp, probably the best amp I’ve owned (so far). The cond. is 10/10. It had a tiny scratch that was not really noticeable on the top edge of the face. It was so small you could not see it unless it was pointed out. I took a sharpie to the spot and now it’s completely gone. Usually I'm against using sharpies on my gear, but this took the amp back to 10/10 in cond. The wood sides are perfect, the unit came with the original box, and packaging. It has a lot of fingerprints on it due to adjusting it and getting it set up, other than that it looks new. I spent the weekend listening to it, and fell in love with it. I’ll be doing a full clean on it in the next week or so. I’ll open the hood on it, and remove the face plate so I can clean the small amount of dust that is between the buttons and face. I'm a stickler for detail. It will get a full cleaning, going to also clean the volume and selector pots while I have it open. Once I have it all polished up, I’ll take some good quality pictures, and take a video of the unit. I can’t seem to find any videos of the unit, so I might as well make one. Ill upload it to YouTube and post it link to AK.

Disregard that the turntable looks like its leaning.. I was in the process of setting everything up. So it looks a little off.
    IMG_0817.JPG

Binding Posts with Cables... Nice clean connection.
    IMG_0816.JPG

Kind Regards,
    John

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Nightwisher, Johnny_Law and Lavane like this.
  9. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

Sweet unit! Sure does look pretty.

10. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is a truly beautiful amp! With my love of HiFi (and especially limited run high end models) from the early 80's to mid 90's that's extremely my style.

11. jobrewer1983

Nightwisher likes this.

12. jobrewer1983

Thanks OMGCat!,

While I would consider myself a fan of the 60's /70's gear, I have to admit, this unit is built with that quality in mind. It gives a strong late 80's early 90's vibe with the gold RCA inputs, and all the gold trimming.

I really love the amp, a lot of the gear I take in will be kept for a while than sold off, or traded for other gear. Not this amp, this one is going into the personal collection. I do plan to use it sparingly to keep it pristine. I would really like to track down a copy of the owners manual, I've yet to see one. I found one for the 717, but not the A-71.

Ill find one sooner or later and have a complete set with box and paperwork. Anyway thanks all for the conversation.

Kind Regards,
    John

Nightwisher likes this.
  13. Octavian G

Octavian G New Member

Aparently, this thread is not active anymore.
    Just in case someone still has the initial question unanswerd, the pioneer A71 is the american/canadian version of the pioneer A-858 (120 V power and cosmetic diferences) aparently s-l1600.jpg

14. Portkula

Portkula Active Member

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-A-71.html
    If it’s really so, with its excellent electro-acoustical parameters (including a “subsonic filter”, very important for gramophone records reproduction), rare on the modern market, I see nothing, that could dissuade you from buying it.
    I didn’t own it, but years ago I owned a Pioneer integrated with max. THD: 0,009% (rated output ; 20Hz...20Khz ; 8 Ohm),
    three times “weaker” than the
    “THD : 0,003% (rated output ; 20Hz...20Khz ; 8 Ohm)” of the “Pioneer Elite A-71”, and its capability to receive, amplify and output an astonishingly pure, “transparent” signal impressed me forever since.

Since, I had one more integrated (not Pioneer) with such THD (gone), and I have now another one (not Pioneer) with such THD, always with the same clear and “transparent” signal treatment quality.